Free Avalanche Awareness Class LA

By David Enloe
Feb 26, 2013
SoCalSnow is hosting its first free Avalanche Awareness Class on the evening of March 13th. Hosted at the Tarzana A16 and starting at 6:30pm, the class will include a slideshow presentation, equipment demonstration, and question and answer session. Allen Giernet, class instructor and SoCalSnow director will also talk about using SoCalSnow as a resource, as well as what additional education and resources we hope to offer in the future.

Check out the Events page at socalsnow.org/events.html, or look us up on Facebook.

Our Events page also has information about an upcoming AVI 1 course in the LA area, hosted by the National Ski Patrol. Not free, but an incredibly cheap AVI 1 course.

By Brad W
From San Diego
Feb 26, 2013
Darn, wish the Avi 1 class wasn't being held during the week, or that I had heard about the one in Carlsbad last month. Any idea if this will be offered next year?

By David Enloe
Feb 27, 2013
Brad,

I doubt there is one scheduled for next year but just check out the National Ski Patrol website for So Cal periodically. They offer a number of AVI 1 classes every season!

David

By Tristan B
From La Crescenta, CA
Feb 27, 2013
Hanging out on Royal Arches
Thanks for posting this David, I'll prolly check it out. I already did an AVI 1 in bishop, but can always use refreshers.

I started a small slide at Baden Powel on Sat 2/23.
Avy @ Baden Powel
Avy @ Baden Powel

By David Enloe
Feb 27, 2013
Tristan,

I saw that picture previously, I believe up on splitboarding.com. Either way, if you get the chance, submit it to socalsnow.org as an avalanche observation. It will not be the first we have gotten from Baden in the last few days...

David

By Tristan B
From La Crescenta, CA
Feb 27, 2013
Hanging out on Royal Arches
Yeah my buddy threw it up on that site. I'll submit it soon to that site with some more pics. I just saw on there too, that some other guys triggered some the day after us up there.