Fort Collins shoulder surgeons recommendations?

By Step hen
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 26, 2012
Boulder Canyon <br /> <br />photo by Curt

Hello good MP people,

I'm looking for an excellent shoulder surgeon in Fort Collins as I think I tore my rotator cuff tendon on a silly climb in BoCan months ago.

I'm looking for a young (not too young, not too old) and experienced doc who specializes in arthroscopic shoulder surgery and is up on the latest techniques, etc. I'm hoping that all I will have to do is rehab. Surgery is a last resort for me, and I'm hoping you could recommend a doc who feels the same way. Thanks!

By Malcolm Daly
From Boulder, CO
Oct 26, 2012

They have always had a great group of orthopods at the Orthopedic Center of the Rockies, AKA, the Bone Palace. Many of the docs are actively engaged in climbing kayaking mountain biking, etc. Ken Duncan is a hand surgeon there and would refer to their best shoulder doc. FYI, Ken has been a rad trad climber and kayaker in the FoCo area since the '70s. I see him once in a while in BOulder and hes still cranking .12s in the gym.

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Oct 26, 2012
At the BRC

Malcolm Daly wrote:

I'll second that, OCR (Orthopedic Center of the Rockies) is a great group.

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 26, 2012
Dreamweaver

And I'll third that. The wife had her ACL replaced at OCR in Loveland by Dr. Baird.

Good stuff.

By Jon Sinclair
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 26, 2012

+1 on Ken Duncan. An excellent climber and you won't find better with hand and arm issues.

By Step hen
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 31, 2012
Boulder Canyon <br /> <br />photo by Curt

Thanks guys!

By Jesse Ryan
Nov 1, 2012
Psyched or bananas

I had Dr Sean Grey at OCR - who is the shoulder expert there - repair my left rotator cuff - rim rent full thickness partial tear. He has little bedside manner, but he is an excellent surgeon. He does not fit the description of a doc who would be the last to point you to surgery, but if that is where you need to go, I did and would trust my shoulder to him in surgery. I'm climbing almost as hard post-surgery than prior. I had Grey Rudolph as my rehab PT and recommend him extremely highly. Good luck.

By LynnC
Nov 3, 2012

Very helpful info - I'm in the same boat as Step and will mostly likely be shopping for a rotator cuff surgeon very soon also. I live in Boulder though, and although Loveland isn't too far to go for the best care on my dominant arm, are there some comparable surgeons in Boulder also, in case my insurance or something else doesn't work out for the Orthopedic Center? I like that the docs climb/kayak themselves so they get what I'd like to keep doing with that shoulder!