Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
For Sale forum access
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Sep 26, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
Is it too much trouble for you guys to add a mandatory number of posts (50?) before you can post to the for sale forum? This will elimiate some of the scammers... NickinCO
From colorado
Joined Sep 17, 2010
239 points
Sep 26, 2012
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.
Are there really that many scammers on here? I've never noticed any until you mentioned it, then I saw one. Nick Stayner
From Billings, MT
Joined Mar 6, 2006
2,606 points
Sep 26, 2012
Bocan
Elenor would hit that minimum in one thread!!! Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
947 points
Sep 26, 2012
Clear Creek Canyon, Capitalist Crag
50 might be a bit much. I've been on MP since July of 2010 and have bought/sold quite a few things, but I don't think I've even come close to posting 50 times. Number of posts isn't going to change the fact that someone's going to scam on here. Robert Buswold
From Longmont, CO
Joined Jul 5, 2010
55 points
Sep 26, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
Robert Buswold wrote:
50 might be a bit much. I've been on MP since July of 2010 and have bought/sold quite a few things, but I don't think I've even come close to posting 50 times. Number of posts isn't going to change the fact that someone's going to scam on here.


I disagree, I'm on a number of other forums and it's usually very obvious when someone is only posting to meet the minimum requirement to sell something. The exception would be elanor who needed to be banned anyways.

I don't think there are a lot of scammers here (yet) but as climbing becomes more popular there will be.. and if you're the one being scammed 1 scammer is all that matters.
NickinCO
From colorado
Joined Sep 17, 2010
239 points
Administrator
Sep 26, 2012
Lichen head. Me, with my usual weatherbeaten, lich...
I don't think it would hold back the scammers and only be a pain for legit people who don't serial post. M Sprague
From New England
Joined Nov 9, 2006
5,761 points
Administrator
Sep 26, 2012
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013
Whenever there appears to be an occurrence of misconduct, people clamor for more restrictions. Adam Stackhouse
Joined Jan 3, 2001
13,598 points
Sep 26, 2012
Got Milk? How about forearm pump? Tony leads "...
Scott McMahon wrote:
Elenor would hit that minimum in one thread!!!

Shhhhhhh..... Let sleeping dogs lie.
Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Joined Jan 1, 2001
23,587 points
Sep 26, 2012
tanuki
I have bought and sold stuff here. All of the transactions have gone well. I like the "for sale" forum a lot, and do not perceive that there are currently a lot of scammers lurking there.

Although I understand and appreciate what NickinCO wants to do, I don't think that it will eliminate the occasional scammer. I don't necessarily have a problem with folks coming here just to buy / sell stuff. I don't want to drive them away. I like having more merchandise available at cheap prices. As long as the represent their goods correctly and are ethical in their transactions, I am all for them posting here. I also like the fact that since this is a community forum, if you have a bad experience you can bring it to the attention of the community. I think that the 50 post minimum (or whatever number is appropriate) will just serve to reduce the number of goods that are available for purchase.
NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Joined Dec 6, 2009
121 points
Sep 26, 2012
You stay away from mah pig!
NickinCO wrote:
Is it too much trouble for you guys to add a mandatory number of posts (50?) before you can post to the for sale forum? This will elimiate some of the scammers...


Would it be too much trouble for you to simply take 10 seconds to look at a seller's post history?

This is just one more example of the mp masses wanting this site to wipe their asses and hold their hands through everything. Take some responsibility for yourself.
camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Joined Jun 27, 2006
1,369 points
Sep 26, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
camhead wrote:
Would it be too much trouble for you to simply take 10 seconds to look at a seller's post history? This is just one more example of the mp masses wanting this site to wipe their asses and hold their hands through everything. Take some responsibility for yourself.


Right. Matter of fact I'm about to go drop a huge one... probably the highlight of my day. Care to come over with some double-ply? My employer is cheap...

You're obviously a genius and I wish I would have thought of that, but what if they have no post history? Which is the basis of this thread..

It was just a suggestion, what I thought this area was for. In other forums I've found it to create more of a "community" with less outsiders coming to unload there crap. I am not a dirtbag though and prefer to buy most of my gear new, so maybe that isn't appealing. I bet you aren't a prick in real life, why do you play one on the intraweb?
NickinCO
From colorado
Joined Sep 17, 2010
239 points
Sep 26, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
NC Rock Climber wrote:
I have bought and sold stuff here. All of the transactions have gone well. I like the "for sale" forum a lot, and do not perceive that there are currently a lot of scammers lurking there. Although I understand and appreciate what NickinCO wants to do, I don't think that it will eliminate the occasional scammer. I don't necessarily have a problem with folks coming here just to buy / sell stuff. I don't want to drive them away. I like having more merchandise available at cheap prices. As long as the represent their goods correctly and are ethical in their transactions, I am all for them posting here. I also like the fact that since this is a community forum, if you have a bad experience you can bring it to the attention of the community. I think that the 50 post minimum (or whatever number is appropriate) will just serve to reduce the number of goods that are available for purchase.


You're right it would drive away a lot of sellers. If everyone represented themselve truthfully, you're right there would be no need... if only the world were perfect. If you oust someone whose sole purpose was to come here and sell gear in a deceitful manner it doesn't really do any good. Like I said maybe limiting the gear (quality over quantity) for sale isn't appealing to the masses.
NickinCO
From colorado
Joined Sep 17, 2010
239 points
Sep 26, 2012
A grey fox skull wedged in a crack 100' up on a FA...
Is it just me or has there been a major uptick in the sheer quantity of for sale posts lately? I know, I can just use the "Hide For Sale Posts" but I like to keep them there just in case there is something I want. Lately it seems there are almost more FS posts than anything else. Having a reasonable post minimum is worth considering IMO. Glenn Schuler
From Monument, Co.
Joined Jun 24, 2006
985 points
Sep 26, 2012
Colonel Mustard
Hmmm... hard to imagine who would.... Whatevs, have fun keeping this all on track, ya hard on. Colonel Mustard
Joined Sep 13, 2005
1,382 points
Sep 26, 2012
.
Adam Stackhouse wrote:
Whenever there appears to be an occurrence of misconduct, people clamor for more restrictions.


Yeah, get ready for the MP Patriot Act.
Wade J.
From Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 11, 2011
26 points
Sep 26, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
Colonel Mustard wrote:
Hmmm... hard to imagine who would.... Whatevs, have fun keeping this all on track, ya hard on.


Resorting to name calling now... sweet brah. You could have just ignored this.
NickinCO
From colorado
Joined Sep 17, 2010
239 points
Administrator
Sep 26, 2012
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013
Wade J. wrote:
Yeah, get ready for the MP Patriot Act.

Not if I have anything to do with it!!!
Adam Stackhouse
Joined Jan 3, 2001
13,598 points
Sep 26, 2012
Colonel Mustard
NickinCO wrote:
Resorting to name calling now... sweet brah. You could have just ignored this.


Yes, Nick, I have resorted to it. It's just horrible, reflexively resorting to the "h" word at the flexing of the merest of authority figures. Way to follow your own advice, btw ;).

My super duper serious suggestion for y'all is to just ignore the for sale people who you think our scammers the way most of the site ignores the sale hounds and has to put up with a bunch of "for sale" postings on the front page (I know, I know - only if we aren't smart enough to "hide" them).
Colonel Mustard
Joined Sep 13, 2005
1,382 points
Sep 26, 2012
You stay away from mah pig!
NickinCO wrote:
...You're obviously a genius and I wish I would have thought of that, but what if they have no post history?


Mr. Genius says... if they have no post history, be wary of buying from them! Next question?

NickinCO wrote:
I bet you aren't a prick in real life, why do you play one on the intraweb?


Because if I didn't play a prick on the intardtubes, I would risk being one in real life. It's a no-brainer.
camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Joined Jun 27, 2006
1,369 points
Administrator
Sep 26, 2012
A Very Not Snowy Christmas...
Tony B wrote:
Shhhhhhh..... Let sleeping dogs lie.


has been a little quiet lately, eh?
Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,422 points
Sep 26, 2012
Casual Route Pitch 3  Photo by Mark Cushman
I am part of some other forums as well. In some of those cases you may not post to certain forum sections for a said period of time. Often just a few days. Another option that has its Pro's and Con's as well.

In one forum I take part in, you may not sell unless your a supporting member of the site, which means a $20 dues fee (i believe just one time). Keeps sellers legit for sure.
cheifitj
From Boulder, Colorado
Joined Jun 24, 2008
110 points
Sep 26, 2012
Got Milk? How about forearm pump? Tony leads "...
CaptainMo wrote:
has been a little quiet lately, eh?

Not an accident - she was beat down a few times and banned from the site.
Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Joined Jan 1, 2001
23,587 points
Sep 26, 2012
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style
cheifitj wrote:
In one forum I take part in, you may not sell unless your a supporting member of the site, which means a $20 dues fee (i believe just one time). Keeps sellers legit for sure.


How so? If I want to rip off someone for say couple hundred bucks I'd gladly pay $20 to get one time access to the forum...
doligo
Joined Sep 26, 2008
408 points
Sep 27, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades
I enjoy this forum and come here more often than other forums because I can peruse the for sale forum multiple times a day. Restricting the for sale forum would lower the amount of traffic and goods and in my opinion have a negative impact.

I love the fact that I can post about gear I am looking for or want to trade and multiple responses come up.
randy88fj62
Joined May 28, 2010
67 points
Sep 27, 2012
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.
Has anyone actually been scammed or ripped off on this site? I feel like most of us are pretty attuned to BS "For Sale" posts and I really can't recall ever seeing one before yesterday.
I also agree that the folks who show up with the sole intention of slinging their gear shouldn't be banned from doing so by a 50-post limit. I've purchased lots of great gear from users I've never heard of before their "For Sale" post.
Nick Stayner
From Billings, MT
Joined Mar 6, 2006
2,606 points
Sep 27, 2012
Dreamweaver
This is a bad idea. The forum on this website is either incredibly helpful or a shit storm. I don't think people need to be hazed into the MP community just to sell things.

Judging from a recent tent debacle, the community seems to self police pretty well, although it seems the buyer in that case definitely lost out.
Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jul 13, 2011
15 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.  
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!