Florida and The Virgin Islands
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Ellenore Zimmerman
Jun 29, 2013
me
Has anybody been to either? What is there for a climber to do?
Personal experiences only please.

By BSheriden
Jun 29, 2013
....but what about mountains?quote>

Obviously you have never been to Florida or the Virgin Islands... Is this a serious question Elanor? Its Florida, its flat as a pancake and the nearest climbing is probably at least 6-8 hours away in the South East.

Climbing is going to suck, either go and enjoy the other benifits it has to offer and don't climb or stay in the west. Seriously how is an RN this ignorant?

By Ellenore Zimmerman
Jun 29, 2013
me
yea I am talking about GYMS. I realize it's gonna be really hard and close to impossible to survive over 3 months period for me in flatlands. The only solution would be is to explore the reefs extensively via SCUBA and do lots of pullups.
I am also seriously looking at Asheville.

By Travis Dustin
From Hollis, NH
Jun 29, 2013
Lost in the Sun pitch 2
There is some good climbing in Georgia. Florida is a climbers nightmare.

By John Husky
Jun 29, 2013
There is bouldering to had on the beach in the islands. there is sport climbing in Puerto Rico. The bouldering I've done was fine, but you're on blue ocean pristine beaches, the like of which is unsurpassed. I've never been to Florida, and plan to keep it that way. The Islands are where it's at. There are mountains and crazy jungles enough for any adventurer to stay busy. Though personal safety may be an issue,m check local listings.

By rogerbenton
Jun 29, 2013
Whoever this guy is, he's just plain irresponsible...
There's a pretty decent gym in Miami- x-tremerock.com/

They organize trips to the few FL climbing locales and out of state trips too.

Learn to surf.

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Jun 29, 2013
At the BRC
Check out

unco.edu/cebs/psychology/kevin...

or

drtopo.com/submitted/virgin_go...

Florida has some very limited outside climbing, I used to have an old article from one of the mags about it, but can't find it, sorry.

Are you sure you don't want to take a job deep in the jungles of Borneo or something? Maybe far, far away from useless distractions like the internet?

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Jun 29, 2013
...

By Ellenore Zimmerman
Jun 30, 2013
me

By Ellenore Zimmerman
Jun 30, 2013
me
yea Florida will require a lot of sacrifice... we have to always plot out our next destination which can be hard sometimes. Thank you for your input. If anything we will go next year for 3 months then swing out to Appalachia , maybe a fall at the Gunks before we make rounds to the deserts for winter/spring...

By mr. mango
Jun 30, 2013
north wash
I've been to saint Thomas and Saint John in the U.S. Virgin Islands. No decent rock to speak of. Virgin gorda has good bouldering though.

By Savanna
Jul 2, 2013
Climbing with Lynn Hill at the New
I went to a gym called "Vertical Ventures" (I think) around Tampa.
The walls were maybe 20ft tall, no leading, each toprope was pre-rigged with a grigri. The "belay test" is clipping the grigri to your harness.
No Yosemite Decimal System, just easy, medium, and hard routes.
But, you take what you can get, I guess. Some weird Florida climbing is better than none. It sounded like most of the staff make the drive to Georgia or Chattanooga for real climbing.

By Woodchuck ATC
Jul 2, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Florida? The max elev. there is maybe 80 ft. above sea level, and the gyms can't be much if any. Average age too is like 70, so figure your belayer, if any are found, may be using a goldline rope and a hip belay on your climbs up mossy wet dirt hill of 30 ft. It's a hopeless place. Best bet in Florida is to enjoy the sea, the beach, SCUBA and sailing, lots of old folks playing shuffleboard, and tons and tons of awesome nude resorts all over the place....but full of wrinkled up 75 yr. old people...so guess it is a total loss.

By TimD
Jul 2, 2013
Woodchuck ATC wrote:
Florida? The max elev. there is maybe 80 ft.

By Weston L
From Summerlin, NV
Jul 2, 2013
Me at the good rest on Doggie Do
Locker wrote:
Born and raised WPB Florida. Tons to do there. Deep sea fishing, skin & Scuba diving, great Clubs if you're into that shit, GREAT Cuban food down south, best of all (Many areas don't exist any longer) are the Swamps. Get yourself a canoe and go have a fucking blast! and though there is zero climbing, they do in fact have some of the best "CRACK" around.

Locker, had no idea you were B&R in WPB. I grew up in Loxahatchee!

By Ellenore Zimmerman
Jul 9, 2013
me
Woodchuck ATC wrote:

Woodchuck, you are funny! Butt naked wrinkled 75 year olds sounds like an old news to me. Putting Florida on a backburner for now at least. I am seeing a lot of jobs on St Thomas, which looks gorgeous for diving. Thanx for sharing!

By 20 kN
From Hawaii
Jul 9, 2013
craghead wrote:
Has anybody been to either? What is there for a climber to do? I just found out that there may be a job opportunity for both in the near future. I can tell SCUBA is gonna be pretty much out of this world , but what about mountains? Any known gyms? Personal experiences only please.

Universal Orlando. They have a pretty cool drop tower that simulates what it is like to take a 250' whipper.

By mike526
From schaumburg
Jul 11, 2013
the mountains to be found are splash and space

By Jason Haas
Jul 14, 2013
The Virgin Islands, particularly Virgin Gorda, have unbelievable bouldering. I went there for my honeymoon and can't wait to get back!

fixedpin.com/British_Virgin_Is...

By MHLeitch
Jul 17, 2013
Locker wrote:

By Ellenore Zimmerman
Jul 17, 2013
me
MHLeitch wrote:
I was down there in December and rescued this chick from her crack head boyfriend who was beating the shit out of her on the side of the road. That dude was so high that he just kept screaming at me he was going to kill her. Looking back, it was kind of dumb of me because he could have shot or knifed me, but bottom line you don't hit a lady. Craghead, you said you're considering Asheville, NC? I would go with that and I don't think you'll be disappointed, it's a great location and there's tons of rock.

...that sounds like bathsalts to me..
florida does not pay much..

By csproul
From Davis, CA
Jul 17, 2013
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the backgrou...
MHLeitch wrote:

Please stop.

By MHLeitch
Jul 17, 2013
csproul wrote:
Please stop.

It's not like Asheville is some super secret climbing community. Sorry if I offer productive advice, unlike half the posts on this site.

By csproul
From Davis, CA
Jul 17, 2013
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the backgrou...
MHLeitch wrote:

Really, I was just kidding, but
Productive advice to productive posters...fine.
Productive advice to obvious prolific trolls...why?

By MHLeitch
Jul 17, 2013
csproul wrote:
Really, I as just kidding, but Productive advice to productive posters...fine. Productive advice to obvious prolific trolls...why?

Safe climbing.

By Ellenore Zimmerman
Jul 17, 2013
me
MHLeitch wrote:
Good point. I geuss I just try to see the good in people. I haven't been around long enough to know he's a prolific troll, but now that you mention it the posts I have seen have been....interesting to say the least. Safe climbing.

Thank you. Asheville is totally on our map. The Stones will enrich your climbing community if the wind blows that way. That is a promise!

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>