Flexible Front Binding (Petzl Lynx)

By Michael C
From New Jersey
Feb 17, 2013
Mt Minsi, PA

Was thinking of using the alternative bindings on boots without a toe well tomorrow. Am I asking for trouble or is it really not that big of a deal?

By Michael C
From New Jersey
Feb 17, 2013
Mt Minsi, PA

Been using Scarpa Inverno boots all season (plastic, double boots). Wanted to use a pair of Scarpa Freney Pro (no toe welt) instead but wasn't sure if the flex bindings work as well on vertical ice.

By Linnaeus
From New England/ Baltimore
Feb 17, 2013

The front binding on the Lynx won't matter. The strap front works fine. That said, obviously the Freney will not be as stiff as the Inverno, but you won't know until you try if the climb well enough for you.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Feb 17, 2013
Cleo's Needle

All flexy-flex!
All flexy-flex!

By Bill Kirby
From Baltimore Maryland
Feb 18, 2013
Me eating a cliff bar walking back from Frankenstein Amphitheater

Anything Climbs better than Invernos!! You may miss the ankle support of double plastic or you'll love the feel of the new setup. Talk about polar opposites.

By Just Solo
From Colorado Springs
Feb 18, 2013

What Kirby said... Going from plastics will make your calves burn a little more, but the mobility and fluidity of getting rid of plastics is well worth it. Say goodbye to the clunk of plastics! In terms of the cramps working, they will work, not sure if a fully welted boot is significantly stiffer, but I would guess most likely. So, be aware.

By Paul-B
Feb 18, 2013
Flakes of Wrath

That is what they are designed for. I spent the last 2 days in Ouray on the lynx with the plastic front piece. I definitely got some calf burn, my non-welted boots are not as stiff as most, but calf burn will result from the boot stiffness, not the crampon attachment. The only problem I've noticed with using the flexible toe attachment is that after a half day of kicking the toe of my boot works its way further into the flexible plastic, causing 2 things: A: Connection to crampon is slightly looser (never was a problem, meaning after a full day of climbing never lost a crampon or even noticed the looseness), B: as the toe slips forward less front point is showing past the toe of the boot. B can be adjusted on the lynx if you are having problems with this. There are 3 holes in which the toe attachment can interface the crampon with, simply move it to the furthest rear position. Lastly, when attaching the crampon, really kick your toe into the flexible plastic toe piece, make the crampon one hole "smaller" than you think, press your toe in until it fits. This seems to negate most of the working forward.