Five-ten X Organic Pad?

By Jacob Bice
From Little Rock, AR
Sep 4, 2012

Does anyone own one of these?

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this pad, which is basically a glorified organic standard pad with 2" of open cell foam rather than the usual 3". Would that be a problem? My plan is to get two of these and carry them both to allow me to place them separately or stack them to compliment my friend's pads.

Also, does anyone have pictures of the pad open?

Thanks!

Five-ten X Organic Pad
Five-ten X Organic Pad

By BoulderJunke
Oct 18, 2012
 e.h.d.t

why not get two unique organic pads, AND save some money?

By slk
From Reno, NV
Oct 18, 2012
me

BoulderJunke wrote:
why not get two unique organic pads, AND save some money?

or practice down climbing? Crash pads are for Nancies.

By BoulderJunke
Oct 18, 2012
 e.h.d.t

You're right, maybe I`ll ditch the pads and pick up a rope and some biners to sooth my aching vagina. I must not have learned how to down climb holds breaking, or projects yet...

By boulderbum
From NY
Jan 30, 2013

slk wrote:
or practice down climbing? Crash pads are for Nancies.

says the limpwristed traddie that boulders v3. DIE

By Paul Trendler
From Bend, Oregon
Jan 30, 2013
 VOTCD. Photo  by <a href='http://Tylerroemer.com' target='_blank' rel='nofollow' >Tylerroemer.com</a>

Would 2" in stead of 3" of open cell foam be a problem? maybe not, but it would absorb less impact, so in my mind that really puts this pad in the secondary/supplementary pad category with more logos than necessary.

Put frankly, the first bolt on Five Gallon Buckets is pretty high, and I want all the foam I can get beneath me to ensure maximum safety. Somebody at the gym told me that down climbing is for chumps, your supposed to shake a fist from the top jug and then jump off!

By Rafael Rovirosa
From Las Cruces, NM
Jan 30, 2013

I have one of these. The only reason I got it is because I could get it next day from backcountry and it was on sale. I do not like this pad very much compared to my regular organic pad. If your friends have pads already I would just order the regular ones and wait the three weeks.

By tcamillieri
From Denver
Jan 30, 2013
The upper committing crux of Secret of the Beehives.

If you want the 2" of open cell, you can get it that way straight from Organic. No need to buy the 5.10 pad. Just ask Josh. He could probably make it with a flap so you could put the two together. In my experience with Organic, they are very open to customizing pads.

By Morgan Patterson
Jan 30, 2013
Stoked...

pass on the 5.10... Organic is def the way to go, without question.

By IamDman
Feb 6, 2013

what organic pads do you guys use? the brief case pad looks like it would be cool to keep in the car for impromptu climbs. Anyone have any experience with it?

By Tim Quick
Feb 25, 2013
The "Scream" hold by Pusher!

IamDman wrote:

I use a Full pad/Half pad/Slider setup. Everything fits perfect together, isn't really heavy, and covers a lot of ground.

I picked up a brief case pad from Josh when he had an awesome FB deal for them. I didnt think it would ever see much action, but quick frankly that little sucker now goes out pretty often with me. For certain pad setups, the brief case pad works nicely strapped to the back of a larger pad (well, so does just about any small crash pad!) but the nice thing about the brief case pad was that the hinge in the middle lends itself to being able to fit into tight spots.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Feb 26, 2013

Paul Trendler wrote:
Put frankly, the first bolt on Five Gallon Buckets is pretty high...

Lol

By Brian Horlick
From Laramie, WY
Mar 5, 2013
Chillin' in Bishop

A friend of mine has this pad, which is designed to be lightweight for logging several miles with it on your back while exploring newer areas or getting up to alpine crags. It's a really nice pad and a good purchase either way, but if you're mostly bouldering in areas with short hikes, I'd probably just go with the Organic. But again, its dependent on what you want, because these are really easy to stack and mix in with other pads which can open up more possibilities for protecting awkward landings.