Five Ten Slipper Rand Delaminating

By T-Tran
Sep 6, 2013

Hi everyone,
I recently snagged a pair of 5.10 anasazi slippers. They're amazing and finally broken in, but today I noticed a part of the rand was coming off. I wanted to know what everyone thinks and what I should plan on doing. Thanks.

rand delaminating
rand delaminating

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
Sep 6, 2013

Just glue it back. Happens to all my crack slippers eventually. Barge cement or similar works ok. If they will be dedicated crack shoes, I also paint a layer of seam grip over the entire toe knuckle area to keep from wearing holes through the upper at those pressure points.

By T-Tran
Sep 7, 2013

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the suggested cements/glues.
Seam grip over the knuckle area is a great idea. These are primarily for bouldering/gym climbing, but the knuckles still get worn from toe hooks. I'll update and post pics later on once things get all fixed up.

By bearbreeder
Sep 7, 2013

a good preventive measure on climbing/hiking/approach shoes is to seam grip along the the rand and any stitches

;)

By T-Tran
Sep 15, 2013

I was able to get some barge's cement and seam grip, but wanted to ask about application directions. Instructions for both state putting glue on each side and letting it dry before pressing together. That will be a bit difficult in this case unless I make the delam area larger. Have any of you been able to skip the 'dry each piece' separately step with acceptable results?

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
Sep 15, 2013

So for the seam grip, I only use it on the surface of the material, not for gluing things together. Over the toes on my slippers and on some other things, like a pair of expensive softshell pants, I've applied it over the exposed stitching on the butt. In that case, you can just spread it on and it's exposed to the air and will dry fine.

If you look at the bottom center pair of moccasyms in this picture, you can see what I did with the seam grip compared to the ones that have not been seam gripped over the toe knuckles.

For the barge cement, you do need it to dry a bit and get tacky and firmed up before pressing it together. If you look at the high-top Acopas on the right center of the pic, you can see they have been glued back

For a tiny area like you have, I put a little dollop on a piece of cardboard scrap or paper or something, and find a thin something..needle, paper clip, something like that, and spread a little inside the delam area on each side..the rubber side and leather/upper side, but don't push them together right away, leave the delam open for a few minutes (the barge tube should give a time), then I clamp them together with a spring clamp and leave it for several hours.

By C Miller
Sep 15, 2013
High Desert Sunrise, Joshua Tree NP

Keep in the mind that model (Anasazi Slipper) was current about ten years ago, so the glue may not be as good as it once was.

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
Sep 15, 2013

Hey Chris, how you like that Five-Ten ad above? I could re-shoot that pic today (it's a few years old) and it would be an even bigger testimonial as the single pair of boreal freebies (won in a contest about 10 years ago) and the destroyed acopas are gone (bought between altia hightops going away and before the grandstone), and the collection has grown by a few pair of blancos.

Imelda Marcos would be proud.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Sep 15, 2013
...

"Imelda Marcos would be proud."

No shit!

LOL!

By C Miller
Sep 15, 2013
High Desert Sunrise, Joshua Tree NP

That is a most impressive shoe collection, Will, but what's with the 1/2 pair of Anasazi VCS? Re-shoot the collection if you have the time as it would be worth seeing it in all of it's glory.

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
Sep 15, 2013

The orphan was found in the gym and never claimed, happened to be my size. Looks like I've got a pair MIA, probably sitting in my garage in JT.

Shooz