five ten moccasym resoling experiences

By Eric Kuenstner
From Washington, DC
Oct 2, 2012
basking in the Seneca exposure

I'd like to get my current pair resoled, but I've heard only a few mixed reports on how they turn out, both from climbing partners and some anecdotes here. A friend of mine once claimed that they were impossible to resole well owning to the fact that the upper is entirely leather (not sure what to make of that). So, if you've had yours resoled, how did it go? What sort of condition were they in beforehand?

By Adam Leedy
From Austin, TX
Oct 2, 2012

Eric Kuenstner wrote:

I have a pair of Mocs that are about to go in for their 5th resole in 6 years.
The first and most recent resoles required toe rand replacements as well as half soles. I'm always happy with my mocs when they come back. They are a bit loose now but I don't wear them on performance demanding climbs anyway. But then again, mocs are my all day comfort shoe. I wear them for long multi-pitch trad and to warm up when bouldering/clipping bolts. I love my mocs and will keep getting these resoled as long as the leather holds up or until rock n resole tells me they can't be done anymore.

By michaeltarne
Oct 3, 2012

I have a pair of the 5Xs (which are almost identical) and they've been resoled twice with no issues. But again, they're my comfortable shoes.

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
Oct 3, 2012

They resole fine. I've had plenty of them done.

By caughtinside
From Oakland CA
Oct 3, 2012

I've had some come back great and some come back a total mess. The difference is the resoler. The good guys have all come back better than new.

By Eric Kuenstner
From Washington, DC
Oct 3, 2012
basking in the Seneca exposure

Interesting, thanks for the replies guys! Have most people had their good resoles come from r&r? Just trying to get an idea of where to send them...

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Oct 3, 2012
...

I'm currently working on three pairs. GLAD to read this thread. I might as well go ahead and stop working on them since they obviously won't come out any good.

LOL!

By Steve Williams
From Denver, CO
Oct 3, 2012

Locker's the man, if he can't do it, nobody can. . .

Really!

(he does supreme work)!!!

Positiveresoles.com

By Chris Owen
From La Crescenta and Big Bear Lake
Oct 3, 2012
There's more than one use for an Ice Hammer. Lake District (UK) late '70s

I've had several pairs of these resoled at YosemiteBum and they've always turned out extremely well. My current pair has soles with a few more miles on them but unfortunately the uppers are shot.

In fact the first Symm resole I got from YB they were better shoes after that, as they had straightened out the inside edge a little which really helped with the smedging, more control over the ball of my foot.

Re-climbed Valhalla at Suicide a few days after that resole and ALMOST felt like I was cheating wearing those "re-configured" Symms.

By danicabien
Oct 5, 2012

Thanks for the post. I had a pair of Mocs and it pretty well for that.