First time to Indian Creek

By outdoorcrazy
From Reno, Nv
Mar 7, 2014

Headed to Indian Creek for the first time next week and am looking for some general info.

1- Camping recommendations. Is there a general climbers camp?
2- Is water readily available at camping areas?
3- Guide book. What is the best book for Indian creek and surrounding areas
4-Climbing shop. I love gear and like going into the local shops, where is the place to go?

If any of you are going to be there between the 16th and the else is going to be there the 16th-20th send me a pm. I am always interested in meeting other climbers.

Thanks

By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Mar 7, 2014

Cottonwood and beyond were always my favorites, but they're all laid out in David Bloom's book which, while controversial, is also the only complete book that I'm aware of. Water is not readily available. Nearest is in Monticello. I always fill up my jugs in Moab, at the shell station near Poison Spider bicycles. They've been providing water for years, and I've stayed loyal. I don't really recall which mountain shops are the best, and lots of people have lots of different opinions.

By outdoorcrazy
From Reno, Nv
Mar 7, 2014

Thanks Brian.

By Highlander
From Ouray, CO
Mar 7, 2014

Camping at the cottonwoods could be muddy depending on how much rain/snow there has been recently. Bridgar Jacks is the most scenic camping; Creek Pasture is the most popular/crowded; easiest to get a low clearance vehicle in. Superbowl is nice as well; lots of other places off the grid. Best gear store is GearHeads in Moab, also can fill your water there.
Make sure you pack all your "shit" out, and help keep the place clean.

By outdoorcrazy
From Reno, Nv
Mar 8, 2014

Thanks Highlander. Rest assured, everything that goes in with us will be coming out.

By outdoorcrazy
From Reno, Nv
Mar 8, 2014

Is camping only allowed in campgrounds, or is LNT camping allowing in undeveloped locations? Thanks

By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Mar 8, 2014

I'm not certain how established the established campgrounds are, but its the desert, so LNT has its own special considerations. Know what the desert crust is, and why it should be left alone. There are a lot of little 1-2 car campsites along Beef Basin road that can be pretty nice, but they don't necessarily have trees, which is what I liked about Cottonwood. Definitely, Bridger Jack has the best views. I haven't camped there since the new management plan went into effect, so the things that drove me away (specifically the number of long-term campers) might not be an issue anymore.

Good rule of thumb for any climbing mecca: the harder it is to get to a campsite, the less likely you'll be sleeping next to a raging party every night of your trip.

By Nathaniel Holt
From Salt Lake City, Utah
Mar 10, 2014
View from up above the hand crack

Do you have room for a straggler? I have a lot of gear to help out. plus splitting gas. let me know.

By doligo
Mar 10, 2014
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style

At large camping is allowed in established sites. But you will have to literally pack your shit out. Also, bring firewood. Gathering even fallen wood is not allowed in the desert.