First Time Going to Yosemite!

By Jake Charland
From Boulder, CO
Feb 17, 2012
I am getting the opportunity to go to yosemite (for the first time!) this spring in the middle of May. A couple questions I have is how predictable is the weather this time of year? How hard would it be to find a partner in the valley once I'm there, I would probably be by myself and in need of one. Are there any other places to camp other than camp 4 since I will probably be arriving during the day and based on other posts it looks like it will be hard to get a spot here without showing up ridiculously early in the morning.
Jake

By S Denny
From Prescott, AZ
Feb 17, 2012
good
easy
and not that anyone is going to post on the internet.

don't worry about it. get out there and get after it. i will be there then.

By Jake Charland
From Boulder, CO
Feb 17, 2012
One more question I will be flying there and was wondering if there was a way to get there without a car from the airport and what airport to fly into.

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Feb 17, 2012
You can get there without a car from the Bay area via a train/bus combo, but it is a bit of a hassle. There is probably a closer airport that would be easier.

Check out this website for info about getting to the Valley via public transit. jrabold.net/yosemite/transp.ht...

Once in the Valley, you are totally fine without a car. Lots of shuttle buses to get around, and other climbers will have cars. If anything, a car can be a bit of a liability in the Valley, since you have to worry about bears and rangers messing with it.

Having a bike in the Valley is really really nice for getting around. Most of the crags within the Valley proper are a short and easy bike ride from Camp 4. Biking is often faster than driving, especially on weekends, since you don't get stuck in gaper traffic jams. Bikes do get stolen, though, so something cheap and not too appealing to thieves (plus a good bike lock) is recommended.

May weather can be weird. It is usually great, and you expect it to be so; this makes it especially annoying when it isn't. You'll probably be fine.

By Jonathan Guy
From Bay Area, CA
Feb 17, 2012
Good beta so far. If it's a Friday or Saturday you could post on mp.com in hopes of finding a ride from the Bay Area. From SFO or Oakland airport you can take the BART train to the Dublin station, which is literally on the way to the Valley for almost everyone in the Bay Area.

I might spend some time in the Valley in May. Feel free to PM me if you need a climbing partner.

I'm stoked for you to go to the Valley. Heaven on Earth, man.

By Jake Charland
From Boulder, CO
Feb 18, 2012
Thanks for all the replies I am so stoked to finally be getting out there!

By 20 kN
From Hawaii
Feb 26, 2012
Last year it snowed for a bit in Yosemite in May. It was fairly cold for at least a week straight. So it all depends, the weather may be nice, but it could also be crap.

By Greg Barnes
Feb 26, 2012
Hanging out with Karin on the summit of Warlock Ne...
But if this "winter" keeps up as it's been going, you're more likely to have to deal with a forest fire this May than snow storms...

(20kN is right of course, weather could be all over the place)

By Karsten
From Sacramento, CA
Mar 2, 2012
FA's can be scary.  Photo by DeAngelo
Fly into Sacramento or even Stockton if possible.

Sacramento seems closer to the valley than SF but is still about 4 hours. The benefit is that the airport is smaller and traffic will be less of an issue.

Allegiant Air flys into Stockton. It would be the best option and is maybe 2.5-3 hours from there to the valley floor.