First Ice Axe (C.A.M.P Cassin Tools)

By Joseph D'Agostino
Oct 17, 2012
Climbing

Hey everyone, I am trying to get started in Ice climbing. In looking for good tools, I came upon the CAMP Cassin X-All Mountain, and the X-Alp.

There seems to be very little reviews online about the X-All Mountain and almost none about the X-Alp. I was hoping some of you guys here can give me some insight.

Basically, I want a good beginners tool that will work for Ice and some rock. I have a hard time believing however that the smaller rivets on the Cassin tools will hold someone that's 235lbs! Does anyone have any first hand experience with these? Which ones would be preferable?

I am focusing on these two tools because I can get a discount on them.

Thanks everyone for the insight and advice!

Here's a link for the tools:
www.camp-usa.com/products/categories/cassin-technical-ice.as>>>

By Dave77
From Watertown, NY
Oct 17, 2012
me in NH

www.alpinist.com/doc/web12w/ms-bs-camp-cassin-x-all-mountain

I do not have first hand knowledge of either tool, but from what I have heard from friends the cassin x all mountain is a pretty good tool.

By Joseph D'Agostino
Oct 17, 2012
Climbing

Bump. Anyone else have input before I spring for them?

By superkick
From West Hartford, CT
Oct 18, 2012
Free Solo up hitchcock gully WI3

the cassin x-all mountain is a fantastic tool.

They were just on sale on mountaingear for 160 an axe, but alas they are sold out already.

By superkick
From West Hartford, CT
Oct 18, 2012
Free Solo up hitchcock gully WI3

www.mountainproject.com/v/cassin-x-all-mountain-tools/107463>>>

By Jeff J
From Bozeman
Oct 18, 2012

One of our local gear shops has a hardon for Cassin ice tools and that all they rent.
I have had a few laps on verticl ice with each of the X-dreams, X-all mountain and X alp.
IMHO
The X-Alp is ok at ice climbing that handle is a bit more situated to mounteering and it get hard to grip for extended periods of time on steep ice.

the X-montnain is a great ice tool that will climb mild to steep ice well and has interchangable handles to comstomize your tool.

The X-dream is just that a verticle ice climbing dream, I have a pair of origonal Petzl Nomics with the cascade pick and I am getting a pair of the x-dreams. The best thing is that that Cassin redesigned to handle to get rid of some of the fragile plastic of the fore handle that their demo tools had and replace with aluminium for a stronger fore handle. The x-dream also have a adjustment for the pick and handle angle for mixed routes as well.

In all Cassin has really good picks and they stick well and clean reasonably easy... In all you cant really go wrong with any of their tools, but for ice climbing I would recomend the All mountain or the x-dream

By Joseph D'Agostino
Oct 18, 2012
Climbing

Cool, thanks guys! I definitely think I'm leaning towards the X-All Mountains now!

By Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
Oct 21, 2012
Cleaning up in Jenny Lake.

I weigh about 230 and I've climbed on the X-All Mountains before. They're top notch tools.

By Tony T.
From Denver, CO
Oct 21, 2012
Getting up the Great Dihedral on Hallet Peak, RMNP.

They really are great tools! I have swung many tools in the last few years, and these by far are the most fun. I didn't use leashes with them, so I have no input as to how they function with the leashes.

By kevino
Oct 21, 2012

If i wasn't bias toward petzl then fuck yeah

#