finger injuries and cortisone shots

By Omar Little
Jan 30, 2014
Sorry about another finger injury thread, but I have looked through a lot of others and have not found much about steroid injections.

So I just got back from seeing a hand surgeon about my nagging finger issues. He is having me get an MRI to see how my A1 and A2 pulleys look. He said that if they look OK he wants to do a cortisone shot assuming that I am dealing with some sort of tendonitis. I've heard that cortisone shots can weaken tendons... which seems like an overall bad idea since I seem to be limited by tendon strength these days.

Anyone have any experience with cortisone shots and fingers? Assuming I don't have any significant pulley issues I am leaning towards NOT getting a cortisone shot since it seems like a quick fix that could ultimately do more harm than good.

Thanks!

By Jeremy Aslaksen
From Albuquerque, NM
Jan 30, 2014
Jacked my finger climbing in a buddy's garage. It was toast for months...bailed on climbing El Cap and thought I was fucked.

Couldn't even bend the damn thing.

Went to a hand surgeon who said everything looked fine.

Got (2) cortisone shots and I was IMMEDIATELY able to bend my finger.

Been climbing with no issues for months now...aid climbing...bouldering...no worries.

The shots DID hurt like a mutha...almost passed out!

EDIT: I am laying down all cool...no problem...then I realized it's hot in here...flop sweat ensues...doctor say how you doing?...you look kinda pale...after the shots there was a perfect body sized sweat stain on the table...HA!

My $0.02.

JA

By K-Tanz
From Phoenix, AZ
Jan 30, 2014
Leading up pitch 2 of Moby Dick, Cochise Stronghold, AZ
Doctah J (not the basketball player with the hookshot) has addressed this

The Good Doctor

By cfuttner
Jan 30, 2014
Had cortisone shot for nagging pulley injury. It did hurt like a mother but pain was gone pretty quickly and I was able to bend it again. My finger would lock up in the mornings. After the shot that was gone too. I was advised not to climb for two weeks due to the risk of weakening the tendons in the area of the injection but as I understand it the risk passes within those two weeks. Definitely worth the pain and time off. I had already taken 8 weeks off to try and rest it away with a course of ibuprofen but the pain came back when I started climbing again. Don't write off cortisone. It may help.

By Keen Butterworth
From Boulder
Jan 30, 2014
Bouldering on Rabbit Mtn. Photo by Forrest Weller
I had cortisone shots in two of my fingers. It still took me about a year before I could climb again but it did help with the pain and every day tasks. I can concur with Jeremy though. When the doctor was preparing me for the shots, he introduced me to two nurses, who he said were there to hold me down because this would probably be the most painful thing I ever experienced. He was right. Excruciating really. When you are getting what seems like a half of vial of fluid injected directly into your knuckle... well, I've never been tortured, physically anyway, but I would imagine this would be splendid method for getting information.

By Omar Little
Jan 31, 2014
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like it could be very beneficial... although I do worry about the points Dr. J brings up. We'll see!

Yeah, I have had cortisone shots before and can only imagine how much they suck directly into fingers!