Favorite Walls at the Creek on a Cold Day

By The Blueprint Part Dank
From FEMA Region VIII
Nov 21, 2013
Peyton Reacts to Joan Lee
Heading to the Creek next week, forecast shows temps a bit colder than any I've previously experienced at the Creek, so I'm trying to plan our trip to maximize the sun we can get up at the wall.

I've really baked up at the Cat Wall before, so that was on the list, and if memory serves, parts of Optimator get white a bit of sun, but where else would ya'll recommend.

By slim
Nov 21, 2013
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
petrified hornet. perfect sending temps.

By The Blueprint Part Dank
From FEMA Region VIII
Nov 21, 2013
Peyton Reacts to Joan Lee
slim wrote:
petrified hornet. perfect sending temps.

Haha, nice try. I've climbed there. That wall is cold.

By nicelegs
From Denver
Nov 21, 2013
The Optimator isn't that great. You'll freeze your tidbits off once the sun moves. Cat or anything at that aspect. Also rambo and pistol whipped are good to allow for a late start and stay sunny till dark. Of course the days are short. Moving with the sun on the Fin wall works out.

Most of the meats are pretty shady.

By slim
Nov 21, 2013
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
there's a few things to consider: aspect, wind, elevation.

in terms of aspect, there are a few walls at the creek that offer full all day sun, usually smaller buttresses that you can walk a bit to chase it or walls that have an early/late preference (fin/public service is a really good combo, shock and awe buttress, left side of cat wall, scarface, original meat/sacred cow combo, donnely/battle combo, sinbad wall, cactus flower buttress although routes on the far right are kind of chossy, tenderloins, election wall is ok, 2nd meat with a late start is good, selfish wall with early start is good, 6 star is ok, the wall with a little bit of a late start, broken tooth with a little bit of a late start, power wall with late start, slug wall...... ).

the walls on the west side of the beef basin road get great morning sun, if you want an early start. if you want to sleep in - the walls on the east side of the beef basin road are great.

wind - walls that are tucked back in canyons are usually a LOT less windy (shock and awe, 6 star, selfish, broken tooth, slug, power, tenderloins, 2nd meat)

elevation - in general, the further you go towards canyonlands the warmer it will be.

all this considered, my favorite cold weather walls are original meat, tenderloins, selfish, shock and awe, and power wall.

hope this is more helpful :)

By The Blueprint Part Dank
From FEMA Region VIII
Nov 21, 2013
Peyton Reacts to Joan Lee
slim wrote:
. hope this is more helpful :)

Very much so. I really appreciate it.