Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Favorite traverse pitches in the Gunks
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By Simon Thompson
From New Paltz, NY
Nov 22, 2012
What are some of your favorite traverse pitches in the Gunks? I like: CCK P3, Face to Face P3, The Dangler, Directissima P2.

FLAG
By Dana Bartlett
From CT
Nov 22, 2012
Easy Rider.

FLAG
By Jake D.
From Northeast
Nov 22, 2012
i followed traverse of the clods... fun and terrifying.. the feat will probably not be repeated. lead or TR ;) i recommend it.. once.

Modern times is kind of a traverse, that would be my favorite lead. directissima or bonnies p2 are right up there

FLAG
By Bill Sacks
From Sacramento, CA
Nov 22, 2012
Chapel Pond
P2 Bonnie's Roof...even though its the only traverse I've done there.

FLAG
By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Nov 22, 2012
Epic free solo with a pack on
Directissima p2!

FLAG
By David Stowe
Nov 22, 2012
High Plains Drifter, Square Meal, Yellow Ridge, Grand Central.

FLAG
By Johnny Nubbins
Nov 22, 2012
P2 of moonlight. Hands down, at least for me.

FLAG
By Anthony Baraff
From Paris, France
Nov 23, 2012
Another Anthony (me) on Unnamed BP #2.
Has anyone repeated "The Great Wall of China" AKA the traverse of the Trapps?

In general hate traversing, but the cruxes of Thin Slabs Direct, Diretissima, Roseland, Farewell to Arms and Fancy Free are all great traverses. Modern Times probably deserves to be on that list too, but it's probably more vertical than horizontal in the critical section.

FLAG
 
By GMBurns
Nov 23, 2012
Climbing at Morro Anhangava in Southern Brasil. <br /> <br />(photo by Isa Vellozo)
Moonlight

FLAG
By Simon Thompson
From New Paltz, NY
Nov 23, 2012
Anthony Baraff wrote:
Has anyone repeated "The Great Wall of China" AKA the traverse of the Trapps?


I REALLY want to do this climb!!!

FLAG
By tradjunkie
Nov 23, 2012
Dana wrote:
Easy Rider.


+1

FLAG
By Jake D.
From Northeast
Nov 23, 2012
tradjunkie wrote:
+1


anyone have a better picture of this? from the Mtn proj page it doesnt look like much of any traversing going on. (never been to Pkill so i dunno)

FLAG
By Dana Bartlett
From CT
Nov 23, 2012
Jake D. wrote:
anyone have a better picture of this? from the Mtn proj page it doesnt look like much of any traversing going on. (never been to Pkill so i dunno)


Easy Rider is the traverse of the Near Trapps. It starts on Outer Space and finishes on Yellow Ridge.

FLAG
By Rick Mix
From Nederland, Colorado
Nov 23, 2012
"Commando Rave" at the Trapps has an odd traverse. I like it though.

FLAG
By Jim Sweeney
Nov 23, 2012
Great Wall Sectional Writeup

FLAG
By Jake D.
From Northeast
Nov 23, 2012
Dana wrote:
Easy Rider is the traverse of the Near Trapps. It starts on Outer Space and finishes on Yellow Ridge.


ahh i see. there is also a .6 at Peterskill that is pretty much straight up so i was confused haha

P2 of Wrist has a fun airy traverse too but pretty short.

FLAG
 
By rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Nov 24, 2012
The traverse out to the Yellow Ridge on the Dogstick Ridge link-up.  Photo by Myriam Bouchard
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I think Hans's Puss has one of the better moderate traverses in the Gunks. Outer Space and Broken Sling are excellent, and harder and scarier would be Tough Shift. And on the easy side (after the first rather sandbagged fifteen feet) is Oblique Twique, which diagonals right forever. But whenever anyone asks about the better or the favorite things in the Gunks, it is only a matter of time before you get a list of pretty much all things in the requested category.

FLAG
By kenr
Nov 24, 2012
I guess the easiest classic traverse in the Gunks is:
  • Yum Yum Yab Yum (top pitch)
also
  • Beginners Delight P2 is memorably exposed.

more on the easier end:
  • Lakeview P2 (at Skytop)
  • Andrew upper half
  • Hawk P2

Gelsa starts with several traversing sections -- but I wouldn't guess it's a "favorite" of most people. For some people the left half of the traverse is the crux of the climb - (why Gelsa is not a good climb to take beginners)

a little higher difficulty:
  • Disneyland has a couple of nice traverse sections.
  • "Baskerville Terrace" link-up of Basking Ridge with Yellow Ridge has a long rising traverse.

Ken

P.S. classic in the Adirondacks, "The El" has a remarkably long slightly descending traverse (with at least one tricky navigational point).

FLAG
By Jake D.
From Northeast
Nov 24, 2012
oo how about the top of Roseland.. balancy, bit of burliness. fun for all ages ;)

FLAG
By tradjunkie
Nov 24, 2012
Dana wrote:
Easy Rider is the traverse of the Near Trapps. It starts on Outer Space and finishes on Yellow Ridge.


It was extended to Gelsa several decades ago, and the continuation is worthwhile.

FLAG
By Benjamin Chapman
From Small Town, USA
Nov 24, 2012
old 1/4" bolt.
Limelight. The traverse from right to left at the end of the 2nd pitch always has a high pucker factor.

FLAG
By Simon Thompson
From New Paltz, NY
Dec 2, 2012
kenr wrote:
I guess the easiest classic traverse in the Gunks is: * Yum Yum Yab Yum (top pitch) also * Beginners Delight P2 is memorably exposed. more on the easier end: * Lakeview P2 (at Skytop) * Andrew upper half * Hawk P2 Gelsa starts with several traversing sections -- but I wouldn't guess it's a "favorite" of most people. For some people the left half of the traverse is the crux of the climb - (why Gelsa is not a good climb to take beginners) a little higher difficulty: * Disneyland has a couple of nice traverse sections. * "Baskerville Terrace" link-up of Basking Ridge with Yellow Ridge has a long rising traverse. Ken P.S. classic in the Adirondacks, "The El" has a remarkably long slightly descending traverse (with at least one tricky navigational point).


Yeah Beginners Delight, Hawk, Andrew, and Gelsa all have memorable traverses. Love them!

FLAG
By Tony Lopez
From NJ
Dec 3, 2012
Easy Rider
rgold wrote:
I think Hans's Puss has one of the better moderate traverses in the Gunks.


+1

FLAG
By Gunks
From Gunks, NY
Dec 3, 2012
Hate traverses. Prefer Directissima Direct and CCK Direct.

FLAG
 
By chris_vultaggio
Dec 3, 2012
Chris Vultaggio leads the title route at Five and Dime in Yosemite. <br /> <br />Photo by Bill Roehrich
Top pitch of Nurse's Aid - super exposed and airy

Middle pitch of Erect Direction - hard

Tennish Anyone - thin

FLAG
By David Stowe
Dec 3, 2012
Gunks wrote:
Hate traverses. Prefer Directissima Direct and CCK Direct.

The finish on CCK direct is a traverse from right to left after finishing up the flake.

FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>