Favorite Car Camping Stove?

By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Indian Creek Climbing

Please give me your favorite and why? Thank you!

By Malcolm Daly
From Boulder, CO
Jan 8, 2013

I've got a Brunton Winder River Range. The thing kicks ass in many ways.

1) It's beefy. You can jump up and down on it, open or closed
2) The 2 burners put out a shitton of heat. I forgot what the BTUs are but I'm guessing 30,000 each.
3) It completely disassembles for cleaning,
4) It has built in storage in the lid. I can keep all my cutlery, utensils, ktichen tools and cleaning stuff in there.
5) The cover of the top lid is a real cutting board.
6) It comes with an adaptor so you can run from a propane tank or from those green Coleman cylinders.
7) They don't make them any more. You'll have to eBay one. Or check this link: Wind River Range
8) Here's two reviews. BTW, I've never had any trouble getting the cylinder adaptor to work. FJCruiser Forum and SNEWS Review
9) It weights 23 pounds. Empty.

By Mattberr
From utah
uintas

my old school coleman two burner stove has always worked well for me.

By Benjamin G
Jan 8, 2013

I like a tabletop stove with one burner and a grill on the other side. Very handy for when you want to keep in simple and are to lazy to deal with cooking on the fire. Camp Chef makes a nice version that is cheap and works great.

By Steve86

This might be useful:

www.outdoorgearlab.com/Camping-Stove-Reviews

By Adam B
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Middle St. Vrain

coop wrote:
I'm looking for a new 2 burner. Anyone use those grill/flattop/stove all in ones? Please give me your favorite and why? Thank you!

I have one of these and they are awesome! BA Stove

I have road tripped all over with it and never had a problem. Now that I've cooked a lot on the grill, it is seasoned real nice and everything we make on it tastes great!

By generationfourth
From Irvine, CA
Jan 8, 2013

Stay away from Camp Chef. The quality is so horrible. I bought one and it had screws rolling around the inside, bent hinges, dents, lid didn't line up, knobs crept up from a simmer to medium, crooked knobs, uneven flame, etc. The primus ones are built a lot more high quality. I'm a big fan of the profile 2 stove for car camping

By Devin Krevetski
From West Woodstock, VT

www.amazon.com/Coleman-2-Burner-Powerhouse-Liquid-Stove/dp/B>>>

You can buy a fitting for it to burn propane too.

By John D
Jan 8, 2013

if you want a grill/stove you might check out This one

By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Indian Creek Climbing

Thank you everyone for the responses.

I have a really old Coleman 2 burner, and I'm looking to upgrade. I have used the tree and hose attachment with a 1 gallon propane tank. This really saves on fuel cost in the long run and you can run multiple items off of the 1 propane tank.

By Keith Robinson
Fitzroy09

I like the stainless Partner's Steel 22". Easy to clean and reasonable pricing.

By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Indian Creek Climbing

Yeah, I like the versatility of the rainer 2

www.campchef.com/rainier-2-burner-grill-and-stove-combo.html

John D wrote:
I have one of these and I love it! it's got tons of power, super reliable, and it's got plenty of space for bigger pots. My only gripe is that the burners are pretty big and so with smaller pots you can't turn up the heat too high without it going up the sides of the pot, but it's not a huge deal. if you want a grill/stove you might check out This one

By Tim McCabe
Jan 8, 2013

What ever you get make sure you can get a small refillable propane tank for it.

By Maurice Chaunders
Colombian Crack

The newer 2 burner Coleman's are still great. They pack securely in a sturdy metal box and work well. The flame adjusts nicely and I've never had to push the ignitor button more than once. We use the grill/griddle flattop and it's great. It's cheap, sturdy and reliable.

By Thomas Beck
From Las Vegas, Nevada
beck on limestone

Primus Century and 2.5 gallon propane tank

By Rob Warden, Space Lizard
From Springdale Ut
blah

another +1 foe the green coleman...mine is at least 15-20 years old and still gets dinner done fast. for best results pair with cast iron, after all its car camping

By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Jan 9, 2013
Indian Creek Climbing

That is the exact setup I have used for the past 15 years. The 1 gallon white propane tanks last forever and are very cheap to fill up. I keep a green one as backup.

Tim McCabe wrote:
What ever you get make sure you can get a small refillable propane tank for it. They're not cheep for the small ones but it's much better then all of the little green cans. And the pouring of white gas for the old one's is a pita as well. If your planning on multiple years worth of car camping the white tanks are the way to go. Keep one green one as a back up for when the other goes dry. I just topped mine off last night for $4.00.

By ian watson
From Albuquerque, NM
Jan 9, 2013

Rob Warden, Space Lizard wrote:

X3 have used mine forever (10-15 years), One time the pump seal went out and we packet it with butter and it worked the rest of the weekend then I replaced the pump for less then $10 when we got home.

By ADKMan
From Upstate New York
Jan 9, 2013

Here is another alternative to the "disposable" green tanks, refill them!

Propane refill kit

By Dan Bachen
Jan 9, 2013

+1 for the standard green dual fuel colman 2 burner. Have used one for road tripping and field work, its almost impossible to break them. I personaly go with the duel fuel because you can use regular unleaded gas which saves on fuel costs over propane (I wouldn't pay for white gas which IMHO is a waste of money).

By TWK
Jan 9, 2013

We use an antique cast iron 2-burner Griswold stove, converted for LP. We carry a 5 gal propane tank and put a couple of T fittings in the gas line: 1 for a single burner Griswold for the coffee pot and the other for a propane lantern.
They don't make em like this anymore because they last forever. You can find em on EBay.

By Taylor Lais
From Black Hills, SD
Jan 9, 2013

Found this thing in a cableas catalog:
www.cabelas.com/camp-blind-stoves-coleman-outdoor-portable-o>>>
Anyone think this would be the ultimate for a dirtbag van?

By Rob Warden, Space Lizard
From Springdale Ut
Jan 10, 2013
blah

oh my good out door oven thats not made by camp chief...bam purchased

By TWK
Jan 10, 2013

Taylor Lais wrote:

Found this thing in a cableas catalog

Off topic, however anyone spending money at Cabela's should know it's going to the NRA. The owner of Cabela's gave $1,000,000 in cash to the NRA.

If that's where you want your $$ to go, that's fine. If not, shop REI or local mountain shop instead. As an avid hunter, I've spent plenty at Cabela's in the past, but won't be any time soon.