Favorite all around tent
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Danomcq
May 5, 2013
Canon ct

Ok guys I'm looking for a tent that "does it all" with that being said I don't need it to be the lightest thing ever and I don't need it to be trango strong in 100 mph winds. Looking for a 2 or 3 man that would work " alright " in an alpine/windy environment, fairly light and would breath enough for 85 degree summers. I have a direkt 2 but I'm not too excited about the idea of camping in summer with it, great in cold and windy but I think it would be soaking wet in hot humid weather. I have a eureka military TCOP which is a bombproof solo / cramped 2 man, two vestibules, mesh doors. Great and all but comes in at like 7 pounds and BULKY. What are you're favorite compromises and why??

By Danomcq
May 8, 2013
Canon ct

Funny u say that John I have the older version, the megamid still in my shed, love it but my wife is scared of bugs and potential for snakes so I need an actual tent not a shelter

By Maurice Chaunders
May 8, 2013
Colombian Crack

I love my MSR Hubba Hubba. It's definitely not built for snow, though I have camped in snow with it. It's almost entirely mesh and great for summers and keeping bags at bay while allowing a breeze and view. It's one pole is really easy to setup in the dark. We throw out burly river camping sleeping pads under the tent. We had our Neoairs inside once and they just barely fit. I don't have the weight offhand but its nice and light. Ease of use and lightweight appeal most to me. I've used it in foul wether but nothing crazy for extended time. Like Pablo says, if I need a tent, I'm not going!

By jim.dangle
May 8, 2013

I'd go for something like REI half dome. Its not ultralight nor a bomber alpine tent but it does everything in between. That style with a mesh lined inner and walls and a separate rain fly offers great versatility in different weather conditions. You can leave the fly off when it is really hot and I have been in some heavy weather in similar tents without problems.

Since they are REI brand products they are offered on sale quite a bit.

There are other tents of similar designs that work well too.

Jim

By alleyehave
From San Diego, CA
May 8, 2013
Start of Pitch 3

+1 on the half dome.

By Steven Lucarelli
From Moab, UT
May 8, 2013
Showing off Johns almighty poop tube on the top of El Cap, after climbing the Nose.

www.hilleberg.com/home/products/nallo/nallo2.php

By Linnaeus
From New England/ Baltimore
May 9, 2013

REI Halfdome - inexpensive, very versatile, and works for everything you just noted. Get it onsale for $160ish. I got the "2+" size for a better fit of my 6'3" frame, works well. Pitch as fly + footprint for very light tent or great sun shade at the beach.

By doug rouse
From Denver, CO.
May 9, 2013

North Face VE25

By Aaron Mojica
May 9, 2013
Rock Art

I really like my Marmot Limelight 2. Light, quick and easy to set up. Has the footprint/fly only option. Works great in light winter conditions, can be guyed out for wind. Good bang for buck IMO.

By KathyS
From Poughkeepsie, NY
May 10, 2013
Me at the summit of Inner Course (5.4) in the Outlets.  Long, lovely, mellow route.  Well protected even.  My favorite lead from the trip.

I'll third the vote for the REI Half Dome 2. My ex got the first one, so I got another. Nice all-around tent at a good price.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Day Lily.

Mike seaman said MSR Hubba Hubba: +1 to that.

I have the Mutha Hubba (3 man) and the tent won't go away. Year after year after year myself and the bugs abuse it and it keeps on truckin. I have several MSR tents because I have found them to be bomber in every sense of the word.

There are other companies that make equally fine tents but the MSR line of "Hubbas" is totally worth the dough dropped.

By Stanley McKnight
From Colleyville, Texas
Rapelling off of Dr. Coolhead with style

+1 for the rei half dome and if you need more space check out the half dome plus

By Paul Trendler
From Bend, Oregon
May 10, 2013
 VOTCD. Photo  by <a href='http://Tylerroemer.com' target='_blank' rel='nofollow' >Tylerroemer.com</a>

+1 for Hubba Hubba. I've had mine for six years now, and with the exception of some really windy camps in Southern Patagonia the tent has been amazing. That said, some extra guy lines very very helpful down there, but a tent designed for high winds would have been ideal. Everywhere else I have used this tent it has been stellar.

By coldatom
From Cambridge, MA
Jurassic Park

+1 REI Halfdome
I've had mine since 2005.

By The Phoenix
The Phoenix

Steven Lucarelli wrote:
A Hilleberg tent can do it all and they are super light. Have used mine all over, from Indian Creek to the Ruth Gorge and they can handle all the elements. www.hilleberg.com/home/products/nallo/nallo2.php

These guys look pretty retro 70's - always wondered about them but they are VERY pricey so no one I know owns one.

By Nate Ball
From Taipei, TW
Some route at Smith Rock

www.tarptent.com/

I own the Contrail, and it's completely awesome. Superlight and only one drawback - not freestanding.

Also own the Marmot Limelight 2, and it is great. On par with the REI Half Dome and MSR Hubba.

By ian watson
From Albuquerque, NM

coldatom wrote:
+1 REI Halfdome I've had mine since 2005.

+2 mine has been working great for 3 years. But to be honest I prefer a good ol hammock over tents.

By mark felber
From Wheat Ridge, CO
May 10, 2013

REI Half Dome is a great fair weather/ car camping tent, I'm using one at the moment. Hillebergs are strong as hell and very weather proof, but I would feel a little silly using one for car camping. They're great for all kinds of back country travel, though. Reasonably light, go up very quickly, and very nicely thought out.

By David Appelhans
From Lafayette
Imaginate

REI halfdome. Been using one for 7 years. Worked great in alpine setting with huge winds for weeks. Price is good, double vestibule gives you and your partner nice space separation.

By Mark Lynch
May 10, 2013

Nemo tents - Losi 2 or 3 person for 3 season.
OBI 3 person is interesting.

I own a bunch - a gogo elite for solo adventures, a tenshi for cold and nasty, and a couple losi 2 person for family adventures.

I have been really happy with all of them. Well made and a quality product. Their designs have won all sorts of gear of the year awards.

By colincool
From Fort Collins, Colorado

Aaron Mojica wrote:

I had the Limelight 2 for 3 years. I was a part of a duo leading three and five-night trips in Rocky Mnt Nat' Park the the Indian Peaks. It was a good tent-- easy to set up, relatively lightweight, comfortable for 2 people inside, free gear loft and footprint (awesome!)........ however the one thing I absolutely couldn't stand about this tent is that there is only 1 door and vestibule. I can't tell you the number of times I had to crawl over my partner, or vice versa, to get to a late-night piss, or even just to your gear in the vestibule.

Its a significant design flaw, IMO, and a good lesson learned for me!

edit: I am currently looking at the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2. It looks totally bomber and super lightweight.

By Adam Paashaus
From Greensboro, North Carolina
May 10, 2013
After you get done climbing be sure to head up to the summit for sunset. Its only a 10 minute walk from the main wall. Don't forget your headlamp.

If you like the idea of the Megalight/mid but the bug issue is the only hang up, Golite has one called the Shangra-la 5 that we got a little while back that we LOVE. Ive been a huge fan of the beta-light (smaller BD shelter) but for when we go out in the summer in the southeast with the kids it is nice to have the bug protection. Shangra-la 5 has an insert you can use (or not) and the whole thing is less than 6 lbs. www.golite.com/Shangri-La-5-Tent-P46714.aspx Fits 2 adults and 2 kids and a dog with room to spare. Not freestanding but I've fallen in love with this style tent.

Edit to add: They are out of stock but they were when we 1st ordered ours also. I know they sell out fast so we called and checked the web site often to make sure we didn't miss out and we are super happy that we got one. And at $300 the value is amazing. No I dont work for Go-Lite.

By N Nelsen
From Lincoln, NH
May 11, 2013

Check out the NEMO obi 2p elite. I've done all the research, its by far the best.

By jim.dangle
May 11, 2013

According to my flyer the REI halfdome 2 plus will be on sale on $149.00 May 17- 27.

Pretty good deal IMHO.

Jim

By SDY
May 11, 2013

Had my Mountain hardwear skyledge 2 for 8 years now. Seen everything from dead of winter in the rockies to summer in Mexico. Been very happy with it. Get the footprint as well and you can just set up the fly/footprint for a lighter shelter when the wife is not with you.

By cellige
May 11, 2013

If you dont mind the extra cash the quarter dome t2 is the better tent over the half dome.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>