FA of Jonny Vegas

By Gina Hoag
Feb 16, 2013

FYI. The First assent of Jonny Vegas was done by Tom Cecil. Harrison was there. Please correct that on your site. Give credit where credit is due. Thanks and I love the app! Gina

By Mostafa
From Las Vegas, NV
Feb 16, 2013
Cujo 5.11d Red Rocks

I'm guessing the MP user that submitted the route wrote the FA party down in the same order the Handren guidebook did.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Feb 16, 2013

You should PM the administrator of this area directly, if you think it should be changed. More likely it will get attention that way.

By Gina Hoag
Feb 17, 2013

Mostafa wrote:

Hi. Yes that's true. I understand that Tom has contacted Handren and requested the correction to no avail.

By Larry DeAngelo
From Las Vegas, NV
Feb 17, 2013
!

Gina-- the current FA info is listed as:

FA: Harrison Shull, Tom Cecil, Dave Cox, Todd Hewitt, 11/94

What is the exact problem with this listing?

By Gina Hoag
Feb 17, 2013

Yes I understand how the current FA is listed and it was listed incorrectly in the book. The author is aware of it. Just thought you might want the correct listing for your site.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Feb 17, 2013

Gina Hoag wrote:

You still didn't tell Larry what is wrong with it.

By Gina Hoag
Feb 17, 2013

Ah, sorry. Tom's name should appear first as it was his route in every way. The others were present. I mentioned this to Tom and I think he's already emailed Larry. Thanks for your response. G

By Zappatista
Feb 17, 2013
Book me, officer.

Just to play devil's advocate here, if I put up a new routewith three people, I scouted the line, led every pitch, and carried all the gear-still don't care what order I'm listed in. Just saying. I can see how this might matter to some but I'm not sure it's a real issue in the long run.

By 1Eric Rhicard
Feb 17, 2013
It is a good sized roof. Photo: Jimbo

None of it matters in the long run but as an historical footnote I like to know who actually climbed it on lead first. Thus I list the first person to lead it first. If it was anothers vision and they did all the work but let someone else lead it then I sometimes note that as well. I also include the crew that helped establish a route even if they didn't climb it clean. Just nice to remember who was involved.

It bugs me that belayers are sometimes left out of the list as without them few of the "FA heros" would be such.

But in the long run it doesn't matter.

By J. Thompson
From denver, co
Feb 19, 2013
Trundling a death block. Photo by Dan Gambino.

I view this as a moot point.
I'll often list the members of my party first when I do an FA. Even if it's my route in every way. Often I do it as a sign of respect for my partners, particularly if they went out of their way to assist me on a route I've dreamed up. It's an extra little thankyou to them, from me.
As long as credit is given, I don't see how it matters.

josh

By Karsten
From Sacramento, CA
Feb 20, 2013
FA's can be scary.  Photo by DeAngelo

Gina, if Harrison was there and belayed or assisted with the ascent he deserves equal billing on the FA.

If you soloed or rope soloed it then you alone are the FAist. Otherwise all climbers and belayers are part of the FA and the deserve equal billing in the guide. I usually list names of all the people involved in the ascent in alphabetical order. People who want their name first because they did more of the work have an ego problem.

Of course there are memorable moments and heroic efforts on a climb and often times these are not shared equally by all partners either intentionally or by accident. This is why I like guidebooks that include little "histories" of the routes. Sometimes the story is more impressive than the route itself especially when you think about how some of these routes were put up.

What can be a trivial outing for a modern day climber was an entirely different experience on the FA if climbing in non-sticky rubber shoes with a hemp rope, pitons, friable rock, etc.

By Zappatista
Feb 21, 2013
Book me, officer.

When the Four Horsemen show up, you can figure it's because I agree with what these two^^^wrote above.

Man, that's eerie. Like finding out that hot chick you just made out with was your sister.

Sorry to bring up your personal stuff, Karsten. I'm sure it was an accident, could've happened to anyone.