Etiquette when finding booty?
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By Brett Brotherton
From Arvada, CO
Nov 9, 2008
Me and my dog hiking in Eldo.

Yesterday did a climb and found some booty looks like someone bailed and strangely with only one short easy pitch left. This is not a popular climbing area as it is a rather tough hike as far as I know not climbed very much which is probably why I've found gear both times I've done the climb. What is the proper thing to do when finding gear like this should you put a post to see if anyone claims it or is that your reward for being able to finish the climb?

By Josh Audrey
From LAS VEGAS
Nov 9, 2008
maneater

Brett, if you send me the gear I'll go ahead and sort out this problem for you.
josh

By Phil Lauffen
From The Bubble
Nov 9, 2008
RMNP skiing. Photo by Nodin de Saillan

it depends. If you find a lot, like a rack, then definitely post it up. however, for example. I bailed on a #1 hex on friday because I hurt my ankle falling onto a ledge on cob rock. I wouldn't really care about it, so it and the cheap biner it is attached to are finders keepers. I've posted up about camalots and the like, because those are more expensive. But it really is whatever your conscience dictates.

By tooTALLtim
From Boulder, CO
Nov 9, 2008
Me on Land of Ra, Cadillac Crag, Eldorado. <br /> <br />Thanks for the picture Craig Muderlak!

I usually post if it's something more than a nut or biner.

By Brett Brotherton
From Arvada, CO
Nov 9, 2008
Me and my dog hiking in Eldo.

Thanks, everyone I decided it was the right thing to do and posted it.

By Kat A
From Bart and Lisa Ville, CO
Nov 9, 2008
Summit of Chasm View

I wouldn't feel right about keeping booty unless I first posted it in the lost and found. Though a random nut here and there I don't bother with as they're pretty cheap.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Nov 9, 2008

There's etiquette/ethic, then there's style.
No certain one right way, but I'll say this- I think anyone who tries to return anything to its owner has great style...

I guess the question is- what would you be proud to be known for? If or not you get the rep is irrelivant- it's a question of what you think is right...
I think you did the right thing.

By Sam Lightner, Jr.
From Lander, WY
Nov 9, 2008
The Shield

Etiquette when finding booty?

Be kind. Be loving. Call her the next day for a late breakfast... then you are free to change course if you wish.

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Nov 9, 2008
This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I think it works quite well, depending on rope thickness and sheath quality, it belays very smooth.  Great to lower with.  You gotta love over engineering.  $3 at a gear swap!

I found a BD C3 last week and posted it. The guy who lost it responded right away. I personally would not feel good climbing with someone else's gear unless I made some reasonable effort to return it and it felt great to see him get his gear back, he was really happy. Very cool guy from Ft Collins, he gave me a 6 pack of Fat Tire!

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Nov 12, 2008
rockerwaves

Tony Bubb said "I think you did the right thing."</quote
I agree with Tony, Brett, If you have the least reservation about your found treasure. You will always feel unworthy of it.
mo beta fa you,cuz,fa dat one go hana.You get so much "aina" fa give um back! In other words, Good on ya mate!

By Rusty Piton
From Chicago Il
Nov 13, 2008

I climbed the Bastille Crack the other day and it's like a musiem of old gear when you look back into that crack.
I saw a fucking tube-chock!
We were able to fish a nut out.

By Sergio P
From Idaho Springs, CO
Nov 14, 2008
World Champion NY Giants logo

If it is a stuck piece that I have to work hard to fish out I keep it. I assume that who ever's it was tried their best, but still couldn't free it. My reward for the trash pick-up is the gear.

If it is at the base of the crag or clearly some bail gear I post it as that might just be bad luck that fell on another party.

By Jaaron Mankins
From Bayfield, CO
Nov 15, 2008
San Juans.

Speaking of abandoned gear....a buddy and I tried Moveable Stoned Voyage on father's day, and things just did not work out. Another good day in the Black.
Anyhoo, we had to bail with a single 70m rope from about 100'above the traverse. We ended up leaving a smorgasbord of gear including nuts and an assortment of cams (BD of course buddy). I would not have posted this, but you guys changed my mind-there are alot of responsible, positive karma seeking individuals that climb and would return found gear. Rock on!!
If I find any gear, I will post my booty find here. I cannot wait to get back to the Black again, it hasn't fed for a while.
Jaaron

By Brad "Stonyman" Killough
From Alabama
Nov 15, 2008
Knife Crack

Well in my opinion, What would you want someone to do if they found your gear? Try to get it back, at least make an offer. My two cent's...........nothing more~nothing less.

By Guy H.
From Fort Collins CO
Nov 15, 2008
Crux roof on Freeway...

About 8 yrs ago, I found a brand new rope that had rolled down the hill from the trail at Lumpy. I posted some "found" notes at the trail head and online. I never got a call.

That is probably the best booty I have found over the years. :)

There are still some fixed #4 and #5 camalots on Epinephrine for the those dedicated booty hunters looking to add to their OW rack.

By caughtinside
From Oakland CA
Nov 15, 2008

What was the etiquette before the internet?

By Buff Johnson
Nov 15, 2008
smiley face

Tony Bubb wrote:
There's etiquette/ethic, then there's style.

I try hard to follow Sam's rule of etiquette; but I fold like a cheap suit with no style.

By Jay Knower
From Plymouth, NH
Nov 15, 2008
Technosurfing, Rumney. Photo by Seth Hamel.

About ten years ago, my climbing partner and I found a 8 mm rope stuck on the rappel on the descent off El Cap. We took the rope and somehow the rope found its way into his pack. I ice climbed with him last year and one half of his rope system was composed of THAT rope. He had been using it for ice climbing for the last number of years. Booty's booty, and sometimes it becomes the primary piece of gear, for better or (more likely) for worse.

By Dave Miller
From Boulder
Nov 16, 2008

A good part of my rack is booty. If its there I will take it if it is easy to remove or in decent shape, I will ask others climbing at the area if people are present. Other wise, finders keepers...

By J. Thompson
From denver, co
Nov 16, 2008
Trundling a death block. Photo by Dan Gambino.

Dave Miller wrote:

Yep that's the standard...always has been.

If you leave gear you should never expect to get it back.

I've always found there to be a booty bank.....sometimes you make a deposit and sometimes you make a withdrawal.

josh

By Jon Ruland
From Tucson, AZ
Nov 16, 2008
sending Hard Day at the Orifice

hehe. booty.

By jack roberts
Nov 16, 2008

Did a climb the other day. Found about four nuts on the way up.

It was an alpine route and we decided to rap the face so we replaced the same booty on the way down. Seemed only fair. I left an entire rack of nuts and cams once in the Bugaboos due to retreating in a vicious storm. We felt happy to just get away with the skin on our tooth. Climbers staying at the Kain hut recognized the anchors as "retreat booty"...Two days later after the storm left, there was a mad rush to be the first to get all the gear. We didn't even have enough gear to go reclimb our route so we missed out. Anyhow, aforementioned booty found new owners, Pam and I were abit bummed to not get any back but that was the ethos at the time and we were still alive. We went sport climbing on short routes...........

Since then I've found alot of gear. I've returned some and kept some.
If I know who it is I'll try and return it. Otherwise it stays on my alpine rack. Seems like over the years I've broke even.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Nov 16, 2008

caughtinside wrote:
What was the etiquette before the internet?

How did you get to the store before the car?
Shouldn't stop you from using the car if it lets you get to the store...

How did they do surgery before antesthetic?
Again...

I don't think I'd be angry is someone cleaned a piece I left and kept it. But I'd sure be thankful if they decided to return in instead. There's and old saying: "That's not right" Doesn't mean that what was done was wrong... but it also wasn't right.

By Sam Lightner, Jr.
From Lander, WY
Nov 16, 2008
The Shield

This damn thread comes up about once every two months... and that is silly for a couple reasons:
1. Can't we look back at the last time someone (an administrator) posed it?
2. Do we need a consensus on whether or not we should be nice to our fellow climber?

Be kind. Lets move on.

By caughtinside
From Oakland CA
Nov 16, 2008

Tony Bubb wrote:
How did you get to the store before the car? Shouldn't stop you from using the car if it lets you get to the store... How did they do surgery before antesthetic? Again... In my opinion, when a tool is available to someone (*everyone reading this) they should use it to do what they think is best. I don't think I'd be angry is someone cleaned a piece I left and kept it. But I'd sure be thankful if they decided to return in instead. There's and onls saying: "That's not right" Doesn't mean that what was done was wrong... but it also wasn't right.

1. horse and cart.
2. ether, wiskey and a sawbones.

Booty is a tradition!

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Nov 17, 2008

caughtinside wrote:
Booty is a tradition! Admit it... have you ever done a route JUST BECAUSE you saw some gear on it? I have, lots of times!!

I have too, but then I post it. IE: www.mountainproject.com/v/colorado/boulder/boulder_canyon/10>>>
www.mountainproject.com/v/lost_and_found/stuck_cam_cleaned_e>>>

When I locate the owner, which many times I have, I also tell them or show them how I got it out so that they can get it next time...

Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>