Essential knots for climbers
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Sean Brady
From Boulder, Colorado
Ronin
I would like to build a compendium here of knots essential for climbers to learn. Links are welcome as well as any other resources.

I couldn't find a similar thread so I thought I'd start one here.

By Brian Hudson
From Lenoir, NC
Valor Over Discretion (5.8), RRG
Animated Knots

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
RJN
^^^^WOW^^^^ nice find. Thanks

By Sean Brady
From Boulder, Colorado
Ronin
Animated knots is a great reference. Of note are:

Figure 8 follow through
Figure 8 on a bight
Double overhand (edk)
Double overhand on a bight
Double fisherman's
Clove hitch
Klemheist
Munter (and munter mule)
Prussik
Water knot

Anything I'm missing?

By Brian Hudson
From Lenoir, NC
Valor Over Discretion (5.8), RRG
garda hitch (do any of you actually use this?)
bachmann hitch

By wivanoff
High Exposure
Maybe not "essential" but nice to know

Inline Figure 8
French Prusik (Autoblock)
Alpine Butterfly

FB Knot (Klemheist variation)
DT-FK Knot (scroll down - basically a "flat double fishermans")

Sean, I think the EDK is a "flat overhand" not a "double overhand".
What's a "double overhand on a bight"?

By Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Apr 10, 2013
Me scaring years off my mom's life
Triple granny knot with loop flourish

By Ryan Nevius
From The Range of Light
Mt. Agassiz
wivanoff wrote:
What's a "double overhand on a bight"?

I could be mistaken, but I think Sean was referring to a Bowline on a Bight which sort of starts off as an overhand on a bight (if not, also a useful knot).

Also can't believe the bowline (including variations) hasn't been mentioned.

By Dylan Weldin
From Austin, Texas
Summit of my first tower, the Rectory via Fine Jade
One more I haven't seen included yet is the bunny ears figure 8.

I use this when slapping a rope straight onto an anchor for a fixed rappel, for example. No cordelette needed and only requires 2 carabiners for a 2 bolt anchor

By bearbreeder
fig 8 ...

prussic ...

double fishermans ..

thats about it ... a beginner can get by with those 3 for quite a while

theres plenty more ... but thats when you start doing bigger better stuff ...

one thing that i see as a warning sign is beginners learning all these fancy knots, but not being proficient with tying em when they are cold, tired, hungry, wet, in the dark ....

some do a knot once or twice, without anyone to check em or understanding em.... and think they are all set ...

you dont need a lot of knots ... but you need to know em by heart, in your sleep, while being mauled by a hungry bear

KISS

;)

By Greg D
From Here
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />
bearbreeder wrote:
while being mauled by a hungry bear KISS ;)

Shit. I forgot what knot to use in this situation. Can you help!

By bearbreeder
Greg D wrote:
Shit. I forgot what knot to use in this situation. Can you help!

the one that allows you to strangle yourself so you dont feel the bear slowly devouring your tender tasty innards =P

By NYClimber
From New York
Apr 10, 2013
Awesome slab climb right out of the water! Rogers Rock, Lake George, NY. Summer 2013.
Animated knots for sure!

I really only use:

Figure 8's - on a bight and regular
Grapevine knot
Clove hitch
Munter
Prussik
Overhand knot
Ring Bend knot
Frost knot - if I was making my own etriers

That's all I ever needed really.

By Doug Hemken
Apr 10, 2013
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.
Brian Hudson wrote:
garda hitch (do any of you actually use this?) bachmann hitch

I use the garda for hauling daypacks

By Larry S
Apr 10, 2013
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.
In order of importance:

8 follow thru
8 on a bight
Double Fisherman - Tie-in Backup
Double Fisherman - Stopper
Double/Triple Fisherman - Joining two ropes - AKA "Grapevine"
Flat Overhand - EDK
Water Knot
Clove Hitch
Munter
Mule
Prussik
Autoblock
Alpine butterfly
Double Figure 8 (Bunny Ears)
Bowline on a bite (another bunny ears knot)
Bowline Tie-In Variants
Prussik Variants

By john strand
From southern colo
Apr 10, 2013
You guys are kidding ? right ?

figure 8

clove hitch

By NYClimber
From New York
Apr 10, 2013
I know! I routinely use about 4 knots all the time.

Once my slings are made, etc. I use but a Fig 8, Clove Hitch, Autoblock and Prussik. That's about it!

By john strand
From southern colo
Apr 10, 2013
ESP since this was a beginner thread.. you don't need to know all that other crap now,,, or maybe ever

By Pete Spri
Apr 10, 2013
You can do most things with an 8 and a clove hitch.

By Pete Spri
john strand wrote:

Just because you don't know how to escape a belay doesn't mean it's not necessary to know a friction knot.

By Kyle Napierkowski
Spri wrote:
You can do most things with an 8 and a clove hitch. But not knowing a friction knot and an alpine butterfly when you need them will ruin you. I'll also add munter (half clove hitch). Thing is super handy.

In what situations is an alpine butterfly essential?

By Pete Spri
Apr 10, 2013
Middle person in a rope team, tying out a core shot of rope, a couple of tricky pro placements.

By Jon Marek
From SLC
gossamer
fig 8, EKD, Clove hitch. extra credit for some form of advanced bowline for tying in.

By NYClimber
From New York
Apr 11, 2013
Spri wrote:

Spri - all you need to learn is a Prussick knot to excape any belay, jug, etc. which takes maybe an entire 5-10 mins to learn how to tie and use. SIMPLE!

By Brasky
Apr 11, 2013
I would add the becketts bend to the list incase you have to tie togather two different rope diameters. Also bowline on a bite for various anchoring scenerios and also a swiss seat

By Pete Spri
Apr 11, 2013
NYClimber wrote:

Totally, which is why it shocks me that people are only listing an 8 and a clove hitch. That is a recipe for trouble. Learn a friction knot too!

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>