Elephant's Perch 2nd week of June, too snowy?

By wilcox510
Feb 18, 2014

Anyone every climbed on the Perch in early/mid June? Don't know what the snowpack is like up there this year. I'm guessing the descent gully could still be snowy... thoughts?

By notmyname
From Stony Brook, NY
Feb 18, 2014

I did the summer before last, but it was a little squishy getting in and going down - rock was bone dry as was the camping. But it can vary drastically year to year. Check the ski areas in sun valley to see what this winter is like

By kevinhansen
From Albion Idaho
Feb 18, 2014
Why I do it...

Here's an interesting thread to read.
www.network54.com/Forum/105717/thread/1392316847/Precipitati>>>
I think it would be a little early, but the spring could bring early melt conditions, or crazy late winter conditions. Time will tell.
Kevin

By Amy Jordan
Feb 19, 2014
"Native Rituals" at Diablo Canyon

I also don't know about this year, but we went in early June last summer (2013). We stopped at the Elephant's Perch climbing shop in Ketchum before heading in and got a lot of great advice from the very nice people there about the conditions, because some of the employees had just gone in and out a few days prior. We were advised to bring an ice axe for the hike in. For most of the perfectly dry approach, we were thinking, "why on earth are we carrying these ice axes??" and then suddenly, we NEEDED them! It was just for a short section of trail with a steep snow slope and a very bad runout to the raging creek (would not have wanted to fall).

After that one very short section of the hike, the ice axes weren't needed at all, not for the descent from the Perch which was snowy in spots but easy to handle. Climbing temps were good and the camping was dry and pleasant (at least until it started raining after a few days).

There was a stream crossing on the hike that was slightly sketchy because the stream level was so high at that time. The water went up and over the logs across the stream.

The only part of the approach to the Elephant's Perch where an ice axe was handy

By Maurice Chaunders
Feb 19, 2014
Colombian Crack

I think the stream crossing will be part of the concern. If you go up past the traditional crossing place, with logs onto a small island, and more logs off the island to the opposite bank, there's a wire across the creek at a relatively calm spot. It's not wire a tyrolean but you can use it for your hands as you sketch across the soggy logs below; maybe clip your pack to it with a biner.

Do you have a partner for the climb? I'm in Boise and want to get on the mountaineer's route in June.

By wilcox510
Feb 20, 2014

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.... I'm most concerned about the decent gulley being a PITA, so your experience is reassuring Amy. Mike - yes, I have a partner lined up already but thanks.

By Ian Cavanaugh
Feb 21, 2014

you will be just fine. I live in ketchum and plan on being up there in may if not earlier. there will be some snow on the approach, but if you have spent any time in the mountains it shouldn't be a big deal. the decent gets baked by the sun nearly all day, it should be nearly all clear of snow by then. there will probably be a little snow on the summit and the top of the descent but shouldn't be any thing to be concerned about. I have seen that full of snow into july. I would not recommend axes or crampons, that is just added weight you would use for 200 yds at most on the approach. as for the weather/snow conditions in ketchum comparing to red fish/sawtooths...dont bet on it. Sun valley is in a donut hole when it comes to weather. when the sawtooths get 18" of snow sun valley will get 1.8" of snow. other times it is the opposite. look at weather and conditions in stanely, that is your best bet as it is only 5 miles north of red fish. also you can call the red fish lodge for conditions/weather.