Eichorn Pinnacle Sept. 29, Rockfall accident

By Sure-man
From Boone, NC/ S.F.
Oct 1, 2012
On Las Aguajas with TW0 summit in the background

Hey, checking to see how the rockfall accident on Eichorn Pinnacle, Cathedral Peak panned out this last weekend.

My partner and I watched it happen (the boulder that was pulled loose flew by very near us on its way down) as we were descending and we were helping communicate to the injured climber and the folks making the rescue call. My phone was not going through, and we were not sure if others made contact, so we booked it to the trailhead and called. The emergency phone personel told us that they were sending a helicopter soon, but that would have been 2-3 hours after the accident.

Was a broken ankle the only injury? Did the injured party make it out O.K. before nightfall?

I wish there was more we could have done, but they were unnaccessible (4 pitches up). Hope all worked out O.K.

-Brett

By Sure-man
From Boone, NC/ S.F.
Oct 1, 2012
On Las Aguajas with TW0 summit in the background

Actually, it occured on Sept. 30th, not the 29th.

By jnondo
Oct 2, 2012

I was in the party after you relaying info to the people on the summit talking to yosar by cell. We didn't stay to watch the rescue, but saw a helicopter come by at about 5 pm, do a couple laps around cathedral and presumably land. At 6/6:30 the helicopter started up again and then left, presumably with the injured guy. The woman rapped part way down, but that's all I saw. I'm curious to know how the rescue went--whether the injured climber was able to rap down or whether SAR had to climb up to get him.

By Sure-man
From Boone, NC/ S.F.
Oct 3, 2012
On Las Aguajas with TW0 summit in the background

I thought they were going to have to "pluck" him from the rock, but maybe they did climb up to him. Anyone else know what happened?

Honestly, I am extremely surprised that a broken ankle would be the only injury from such a large boulder coming off, while the climber was on lead. Hopefully that is the case.

-Brett

By Justin Johnsen
From Sacramento, CA
Oct 1, 2013
On top of Tonga's first anchors.

I was climbing Cathedral's southeast face with a couple of friends during the rescue. We were the last party up that area late in the day. We saw the SAR team's helicopter make several passes from its staging area in a meadow south of Cathedral, to the opposite side from us (where Eichorn Pinnacle is). They hauled two rescue personnel up, then our leader John was the only one of my party on the summit of Cathedral to witness them haul the injured climber off Eichorn in a litter. I'm glad to hear that was the worst of the injury, hoping everyone a swift recovery.

By Justin Johnsen
From Sacramento, CA
Oct 1, 2013
On top of Tonga's first anchors.

A phone video of the helicopter hauling rescue personnel around Cathedral Peak