Edelrid HMS Strike Slider Automatic Locking Carabiner?

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Mar 23, 2013
Anyone seen or used one of these? Would be cool see how the locking mech works. Looks cool want to see if the local REI has one.

rei.com/product/847491/edelrid...

By Brian Hudson
From Lenoir, NC
Mar 23, 2013
Valor Over Discretion (5.8), RRG
Haven't seen it until now. Looks pretty cool.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Mar 23, 2013
I've got one and really like it. Been using it since last August- very nice locking carabiner for any locker you're tending. Wouldnt use it for a TR anchor or such.

REI will be carrying them this spring- if they arent already.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Mar 23, 2013
John why do you say you wouldn't use it for a TR anchor?

By michaeltarne
Mar 23, 2013
Looks like it would be fairly easy to unlock on accident.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Mar 23, 2013
michaeltarne wrote:
Looks like it would be fairly easy to unlock on accident.

This.

Its very easy to open, easy enough that anything I dont have my eye would make me nervous.

I use it for my rappel device and its awesome- so easy to get on and off, never mucking around with the fat gate of a regular locker, way easier than a magnetron to operate...just nice in general.

While I dont work for Edelrid any longer, it sure was nice working for them when they released new product in every category- i've had alot of the new stuff since August.

By Michael Schneiter
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Mar 23, 2013
Goofin' on the Grand after soloing the Upper Exum ...
I've got one of these lockers as well and really like it.

Lightweight and easy to open after a little practice. The easy to open part is also what makes me say I might not use it for TR as John mentioned. So far, I see it as a great locker for belaying and rappelling and cloving to an anchor. It's got a nice, quick action for easy one handed opening so I think it could be great for those times where you want a locker that will easily open with one hand.

I've played around with it and you can get slings and such to manipulate the gate and open it. Some more testing would be good to see how likely or unlikely it would be to open in a real world climbing situation, and not just playing around on the ground with it.

By DrApnea
From Wenatchee, WA
Mar 23, 2013
REI in SLC has had them for at least a month.
Feels nice, clean, doesn't look like it will snag on anything despite the notch in the upper keylock portion. Wish the slide lock was a bit longer for ease with gloves