Easy rappel in Moab?

By Tayte Campbell
From Provo, UT
Apr 29, 2013
working through the crux

is there anything like this in the moab areas?

By Kyro
Apr 29, 2013

when I was out there me and a friend took a group of 6 newbies up to looking glass arch to rappel. It like maybe a 5.4 approach about 2 pitches. I soloed and fixed 2 ropes to the top anchors while my buddy gave everyone 2 draws with a prusik's as a back up and they clipped into the fixed line and just walked up. switching draws around the route quick draws so they were always locked in. took 20min for everyone to get to the top. I was being cautious with them didnt want to take chance so you may not need to do it. after that awesome double rope 170-180' rap

By Eddie Farrell
From Boulder, co
Apr 30, 2013
jugging up spaceshot

Maybe check out Rock of Ages(pool arch), it has some pretty easy hiking and some long rappes, and it is mostly dry depending on when you go. On top of that it has some beautiful views.

top of pool arch 60 yards or so from first rappel
top of pool arch 60 yards or so from first rappel

As long as you are experienced, I know a couple of people that have guided beginner groups here and had a good time.

By John D
Apr 30, 2013

I rapped off of Corona Arch for the first time last week and it was pretty mellow. I would call the approach 4th class/5.0 I did it in sandals, and could have solo'ed it, but I was glad to have a rope. You could probably lead it, and fix a rope as a hand line and be fine. If you put prussics on, it'd be super secure.

Getting on top of the arch from the top of the cliff is a little dicey too, but there's a bolt and you could easily put a hand line there too.

All the anchors are bolted and the approach pitch has bolts and drilled pitons. While the rap is free hanging, it's a pretty gentle step off the arch. The hike in is about a mile and a half and gains 400 feet of elevation (I think) so it's not long or steep. There is one section with chopped steps and a fixed cable hand line, and one section that has a short ladder, but it's not hard or scary.

By BackAtItAgain
Apr 30, 2013

Tayte Campbell wrote:
I'm looking to take a group of beginners to Moab for an easy hike and hopefully an easy rappel. I'm mostly looking for a safe place with an anchor that would be easy/safe to set up. is there anything like this in the moab areas? I was looking at the midevil chamber but I'm worried about the rappel off of morning glory natural bridge. It says that it is a simul-rap using a juniper tree as an anchor which didn't sound too safe for a group of beginners.

Two different raps. You can simul-rap the arch - or use a bomber setup off the tree. One 70m will get you down.

By Tayte Campbell
From Provo, UT
May 6, 2013
working through the crux

I just got back in town from Moab. We did end up doing the midevil chamber and it turned out great. I was mostly worried about that tree not being a quality anchor but it turned out to be solid.

We used one 60m rope at the first rappel and it ended about 5 feet of the ground but it was fine because there was ledge there to land on before making the small jump to the ground. For the second rappel we used two 60m ropes which was a little overkill but it got us down safely.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
May 6, 2013

Is there such a thing as a difficult rappel?

By Price
From SLC, UT
May 6, 2013

Marc H wrote:
Is there such a thing as a difficult rappel?

Obviously not for a badass from 'rado.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
May 7, 2013

Price wrote:
Obviously not for a badass from 'rado.

I'm from CT. I live in CO. And I'm far from badass.

Keep trying tho. :-)

By Tayte Campbell
From Provo, UT
May 7, 2013
working through the crux

Some rappels are more difficult than others to set up depending on what anchors are available. That's what I was trying to get at