Early june Croatia climbing suggestions, beta, partners etc.

By Ben Broche
From San Francisco, CA
Apr 20, 2013

Hi Mountain Project community,

My wife and I are going to be in Croatia or 9 days in early June and, though it isn't a 'climbing' trip per se, we are bringing our rope and draws and definitely want to do some climbing.

We are planning to be in the Split/Hvar area from June 2nd-June 9th or so and are hoping to meet up with some locals who are psyched (we will buy beer and food/pay gas etc.) but really would love to have an authentic experience instead of just rocking up at Cliffbase w/o a car and being stuck there (has anyone been there and can give a report?).

Anyhow, also open to suggestions, opinions, overall trip, lodging, food beta etc. - thanks so much!

By Martin Birle
Apr 23, 2013

Hi Ben,

I will be on the island of Krk with my family from middle of May until the end of July. Itīs a great place for sports climbing and other activities as well. My wife is croatian and we have a little house there.
If you maybe also come to Krk, which is at the northern end of the adriatic sea, we can meet for climbing and more ;)
I would also recommend to visit Paklenica. Itīs a beautiful canyon and itīs the biggest place for climbing of Croatia with some hundreds of routes.

Cheers,
Martin

By Ben Broche
From San Francisco, CA
May 1, 2013

Thanks for the offer Martin!

I'll let you know how the trip shapes up. If we were to come up to Krk, it would be June 8-9, either that or we'll be in Bosnia...we would love to see Krk if possible!

-Ben

By Ben Caruso
From Blowing Rock, NC
May 3, 2013

Paklenica if you can swing it.
Skip cliffbase since you don't have a car and tons of time. A bit farther south is Omiš which has some options and easy access.

There is also some decent climbing in Bosnia too...

By Annelise
May 12, 2013

Hey guys!

Anna and Annelise from NC, USA here. We are looking to do some climbing in the Middle of May...we should be arriving in Croatia on May 17th. We have a little bit of gear, but no rope. (Too big to fit in the pack for a 3 month trip). We would love love to check out some climbing areas...so if you might be able to help out with any info about rental gear, or would like to come with ( that would be even better :)) we would really appreciate it. We of course will pitch in in the form of beers/ food/ gas $ etc etc. Thanks!

Annelise

By Mike Lydon
From park city, utah
May 17, 2013

We spent a couple of weeks in Croatia in 2011. Four days in Split, a couple in Paklenica and one in Omis. Packlenica had great limestone climbing, and cheap camping in the town outside. We loved split for the DWS. There is a hard area by the swim club and an easier area a mile north of the swim club or so. Omis wasnt worth the drive. there is aslo a lot of climbing in istria up north. Good limestone.

All in all a great place to travel, not on the euro so a bit cheaper, good food and wine.

have fun

By Niv
Jun 6, 2013

I will be in Split during the summer from mid june til end of august. Looking for climbing partners who are in the area to explore the surroundings and Paklenica. Got gear and rope.

By Justine
From Cape Town, Western Cape
Aug 10, 2013

Hey Niv. I'm coming into Croatia tomorrow and will be traveling from North to South with a non-climbing friend. Very keen to get some climbs in on the way past. What will you be up to on Tuesday?

By Niv
Aug 11, 2013

Hi Justine, I have already left the region, otherwise it would have been great to do some climbs. Thanks for contacting, hope you find some partners on the way.

By BigRed11
Aug 12, 2013

Hey Justine, not to hijack the thread but when will you be in the Dubrovnik/Split area? I will be there in a few weeks and would love to swap belays.

By Justine
From Cape Town, Western Cape
Aug 12, 2013

Hey Vadk. I'll be going to Paklenica tomorrow and probably just pass through Split on Wednesday in the way to Hvar. Apparently some great climbing there, so you should come! Flexible after that but probably on to Dubrovnik around Monday. There's another climber that I found on another forum, but the more the merrier!

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Aug 12, 2013
This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I think it works quite well, depending on rope thickness and sheath quality, it belays very smooth.  Great to lower with.  You gotta love over engineering.  $3 at a gear swap!

Keep in mind that the car ferry to Hvar does not travel as frequently as the pedestrian ones and the car ferries do not go between islands generally. Look for Violetta in Hvar town. She has a great "pension."

Pag cheese, olive oil, meat and pasta dishes, pizza, plavac good. Food is great there. Look for "toast" for breakfast. Unimpressed with seafood.

By Justine
From Cape Town, Western Cape
Aug 13, 2013

Thanks Rick. We won't have a car :)