Dudes wearing women's shoes

By bmdhacks
Oct 6, 2012
Oh man is this topic gonna explode with silliness.

I've got pretty narrow/low-volume feet. I've been climbing in some Defys at the moment. The length is good and painful, but I slide around in them sideways. I've tried on tons of shoes and they all seem too wide.

I've been thinking of trying on the women's versions to see if they fit better. Anyone have luck with wearing women's shoes?

By Tom T
Oct 6, 2012
You're in luck bud. Lot's of people do this and several models of women's shoes (Miuras come to mind) come in larger sizes, in part, for this reason.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Oct 6, 2012
Got Milk? How about forearm pump? Tony leads "...
I have a pal who wears the 5.10 'diamond' or was it 'Safire?' with the little jewels on them because they fit his narrow feet. So yeah, there are those folks out there.

By Tim Zander
Oct 6, 2012
Yep, I wear womens rock shoes and ice boots. They just fit my foot better.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Oct 6, 2012
What if you wear women's underwear? I'm asking for a friend...

By Kenny Thompson
From woodfords, california
gorge
Some guy's have girly feet

By Andrew Freeman
From Brookline, MA
Oct 6, 2012
I have a pair of 5.10 quantums and they are particularly narrow. The shoes look pretty cool on anyone. Regardless, lots of guys wear women's shoes.

By Tony T.
From Denver, CO
Oct 6, 2012
Getting up the Great Dihedral on Hallet Peak, RMNP...
Take a close look at the feet in climbing photographs. You'll notice the genderization of shoes is not hard and fast. When I got into climbing, I had narrower feet, and the Lady Katana's fit perfectly. I still have them, but my arch has collapsed more and my feet have widened so men's Sportiva's work just fine now.

That said, you'll find that Evolvs and 5.10s run pretty wide, and Sportiva and Scarpa can run both narrow and wide depending on the model.

Try them on, but don't limit yourself to just men's shoes. Also, who doesn't love a little color on their feet!? I sort of miss the baby blues of my lady katanas.

By Jeremy Bauman
From Lakewood, CO
Climbing the headwall of Second Comming
When I worked at a climbing gym we sold quite a few pairs of 5.10 Siren shoes to guys with small feet. Apparently a bunch of people have been doing this as well so 5.10 came out with a more manly maroon color instead of the baby blue.
Everyone I know with these shoes loves them.

I'd also look at the 5.10 Coyote's, they run a bit narrow as well.

As for the Scarpa Techno's, I have a pair and disagree with the comment about them running narrow. They seem decently wide to me.

By bmdhacks
FrankPS wrote:
What if you wear women's underwear? I'm asking for a friend...

By David Shiembob
From slc, ut
Oct 6, 2012
I'm in the same boat with narrow low volume feet. The technos have worked well, as well as the sirens, and I've switch from men's to women's katanas

By Hiro
From Boulder, CO
Oct 6, 2012
Ouray Ice Park Pick o' the Vic?
I have been using women's shoes - my feet are not particularly wide, so I fit both gender shoes reasonably well. And - I often find large-size women's models on sale!

By Stone Nude
Oct 8, 2012
When dumb people have disposable income, hilarity ...
The old blue anasazi women's fit better than the men's.

I like a resoled Jimmy Choo with a duct tape tuck.

thatshot

By Brent Apgar
From Out of the Loop
Oct 8, 2012
Me and Spearhead
I've definitely owned a couple of pairs of women's climbing shoes over the years.
As of late the lace up Katana has been great and if you're having trouble finding Sportivas check out the Scarpa Boostic. The Boostic won't be a great all around shoe but for edging and steep climbing it's been fantastic so far... oh and it's definitely colorful.

By amarius
Oct 9, 2012
I also liked the the Defys fit lengthwise, but had too much volume above toes and to the sides. Electras, the women's version of Defys, was not available in the "painfully comfortable" size, but Rockstars were.
So, I got me Rockstars
Even though the color might be a little girly, the smell is definitely manly.

By sanz
From Raleigh, NC
Oct 9, 2012
One of my first trad climbs, Ooga Chocka at Crowde...
I've always heard sportivas run more narrow than other brands. They also have low volume versions of the miura and miura vs which are both excellent shoes.

Evolv just dropped low volume shamans if youre into the steep stuff.

If you want the best rubber, and will therefore be buying 5.10s, I believe there is also a low volume version of the anasazi.