Dry Tooling at Riverside Quarry

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Aug 29, 2012
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering
So I've been climbing at the quarry pretty consistantly for about 3 years now and have never seen anyone do any dry tooling there, until yesterday. Technically I did not witness it happening, but as I was leaving with my group, we saw a group of 3 guys show up with their pack and ice tools attached. One person in my group mentioned dry tooling and what route they were going to do and they pointed towards a route immediately right of the roof...I really wanted to say something like "I hope you guys don't destroy any routes" but I was a little weary of saying anything to them because I did not know if dry tooling at the quarry was acceptable or not. I don't think it is because I know all the routes there go free. Another thing that bothered me was that they drove their toyota tacoma right at the base of the wall. I know most locals and anyone that has purchase the guide book should know the etiquette of not driving to the base due to access.

If I see it happening again, what does the local community think I should say. If Louie sees this post, what should I say?

By Leeroy
Aug 29, 2012
"Please, Internets, tell me what to do! I have no spine and am unable to voice my opinion even though I have a strong one!"

By BigJuggsjohnson
Aug 29, 2012
Stones
Yarp I feel your pain! its ok they will never understand . I say change your name and keep chipping at it. best of luck and safe climbing!

By philip bone
From sonora
Aug 29, 2012
thanks rn for adressing a legitimate concern in the appropriate forum. a lot of work went into establishing that area. exessive outward levering on those holds creates serious hazards.

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Aug 29, 2012
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering
Leeroy wrote:

You're a great resource to our climbing community. I'll remember to jot your name next time I need a climbing partner.

By socalbolter
From Silverado, CA
Aug 30, 2012
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Dry tooling should not happen at The Quarry. If done on established routes, it would surely cause damage.

There are plenty of unclimbed sections of stone there, but they are unclimbed because of their extreme looseness. Dry tooling on those sections would be quite dangerous.

If you see them again, I would diplomatically point all of this out to them.

Hope this trend does not continue...

By Leeroy
Aug 30, 2012
RNclimber wrote:

No thank RN. I tend to avoid hanging out with Kalifornians if I can help it.

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Aug 30, 2012
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering
Leeroy wrote:
No thank RN. I tend to avoid hanging out with Kalifornians if I can help it.

What I wrote was actually a rhetorical statement, which I figured you would've have understood. But I should have figured, with your close minded statement and answer that you probably would not have understood that I was being sarcastic. Have a good day and safe climbing.

By Leeroy
Aug 31, 2012
RNclimber wrote:

No shit? (talk about not getting sarcasm!)

By Nelson Day
From Joshua Tree, CA
Sep 5, 2012
me (about to sneeze)
Leeroy is on my shit list now too. RN is a respected climber in our community, and he is a local to the Quarry area.

I believe this is posted above the Reply To headline in the forums: Guideline #1: don't be a jerk