Drive from Denver to Ouray in January?

By Jon H
From Boulder
Oct 9, 2012
At the matching crux
Heading to Ouray first week of January. It's WAY cheaper to fly to Denver than into Montrose. 2 or 3 of us are flying and we would be saving at least $250 each to fly to Denver.

Is the drive doable? Or should I expect I-70 or some pass to be closed and we'll be up shit creek without a paddle and stuck in Denver?

By David Appelhans
From Lafayette
Oct 9, 2012
Imaginate
You will be totally fine. Drive is pretty much all highway and plowed well, lots of people drive from Denver in January and you could do it in a car.

By Morgan Patterson
Oct 9, 2012
Devil's Cut Beta
easily do able either way - when we visit silverton in the winter u have to choose your drive down from denver based on weather but ALWAYS get the four wheel or all wheel drive and plan on many hours in the car and you should be fine. Least u won't be driving the red road of death!

By Martin le Roux
From Superior, CO
Oct 9, 2012
Stairway to Heaven
Just try to avoid getting caught in weekend ski traffic on your way back to Denver. I70 east from Frisco to Denver gets really bad on Sunday afternoons.

By Jeff Fiedler
Oct 9, 2012
If renting a car, take a look at the tires on the car they give you.

If they look worn out, demand a different car.

I'd rather have good tires on a 2WD, than crappy tires on an AWD/FWD.

By BryanV
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 9, 2012
Ouray Ice Park
Super easy. I have a Nissan Altima and make that drive from Denver a couple times a year. I also get up to the I70 resorts for skiing and ice climbing. Colorado winter driving is no problem.

You may want to look into flying into Grand Junction though. Don't know what the difference is, but that would cut off 4+ hours. Drive from Denver is fine though.

You could also do Salt Lake City. It's maybe 40 more miles, but the passes aren't nearly as bad and you drive past Joe's (ice may be good at that point). Anyway, hope this helped.

bv