Don't talk about that!

By Cultivating Mass
Oct 19, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
Noticed that the caving would-be chopper thread has been locked.

Is it really some kind of threat to the community or this site to discuss removing hardware alongside discussing putting it in? Seems like the cart goes with the horse, if bolting happens, bad bolts will go in and need to be removed and replaced at some point.

If it's going to happen, is it that unreasonable to have information shared about responsible patching methods, how not to damage the rock in the process, etc? Didn't seem like the tone got that out of hand, compared to your average regional forum squabble.

Just sayin'.

By climber pat
From Las Cruces, NM
Oct 19, 2012
I too have wondered about the seemingly random censorship. It would be better if some reason locking/deleting a thread was given to the users. Also consistency would be appreciated.

By Nick Stayner
From Billings, MT
Oct 19, 2012
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.
I think it's great.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face
Don't discuss science or medical or anything else that hurts feelings. Unless it's pseudo-science and makes people feel good, and sells clothes and beer.

Long live the fighters of the Prebles-Maud'dib!

We scare because we care. And stop vaccinating, because they use freeze dried smurf cadavors as the binding agent.

By Greg D
From Here
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />
The mods should post a list of "no no's" so we the people know what the master will permit us to say. I'll start the list.

No No, don't say that or we will delete:

1. Chop
2. Brown point
3. Don't call yourself an a-hole.
4. Don't say everything above.
5. Don't say "Don't say everything above"
6. Don't say "Don't say "Don't say everything above""

Shit, I'm stuck in a loop. I'm gonna get deleted.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Colonel Mustard
Mod-splaining never really happens anywhere on the climbing boards I frequent. Modding's never entirely consistent either. But if she who should not be mentioned isn't here, I'm not complaining ;). Mission accomplished.

I mean, who should really be chatting here in the first place? My life would be better if my ability to post were yanked. I know for a fact that if I didn't post that yours would be too!

By Adam Stackhouse
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013
chufftard wrote:
The mods are lock and delete crazy these days. Doesn't seem to take much of a reason to do so.... they like hall monitors in high school. Give some people a silly badge and they can't handle the power.

Hahaha.....anyway, I don't have a clue as to why the thread was locked. Twasn't me!

By Doug Hemken
Oct 19, 2012
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.
... random acts of moderation ...

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
How I Send
shhh...They're listening.

By Nick Stayner
From Billings, MT
Oct 19, 2012
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.
My life wouldn't be better off without your posts Mustard. I sure a shit get a good chuckle out of most things you write.

By Chris treggE
From Madison, WI
Egghead
Adam Stackhouse wrote:

Me neither.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Colonel Mustard
Nick Stayner wrote:

Ha. Thanks, man.

I always feel vaguely sorry for those who find me funny. It must be a self esteem issue on my part.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face
It's the fracking cylons, man! They look like us now!

By M Sprague
From New England
Oct 19, 2012
You guys don't know why it was locked perhaps precisely because it was locked and cleaned up. There was nothing wrong with the original posting or most of the discussion. Locking something when it has gotten completely away from discussion into just exchanging personal insults is sometimes the only practical way to put a chill on it.

I was trying to write up something so you guys understand the moderating, but realized it was an impossible task. To somebody who doesn't already get it, how are you going to explain the need to maintain some minimal social decorum so the forum is useful and enjoyable to the majority of users? It really just comes back to try not to be jerks to each other. If we were to try to define every reason why something got deleted etc., we would just be in constant pissing matches with nutbags with psychological issues. Imagine arguing with Eleanor X 10. I don't know about you guys, but I have better things to do.

-By the way, I don't think any of the moderators are sitting there with their shirt all buttoned up, white socks and knees together pulling power trips. We are bloody climbers. It is basically a pain in the ass chore like cleaning the mold out of your refrigerator and wondering what it is going to take to get your room mate to stop pissing all over the toilet.

By M Sprague
From New England
Oct 19, 2012
I'll flip it back on for you. I may have been a little too preemptive. It looked like it was going to hell and the constructive discussion was ending anyway. I rarely lock threads, maybe a handful, and only after removing individual posts wasn't working and people adding to the discussion have been driven away. I really try not to delete anything that is not being over the top rude. We moderators all have our slightly different sensibilities that go into how we act on the owner's wishes for the forum. That keeps it real. A formula would not work. Basically, if somebody is generally adding something positive to the site, they probably get a little more leeway. If they are basically an asshole and insult somebody every post, they have probably already rubbed people raw and they are more likely to get the hammer, at least in my book.

By Cultivating Mass
Oct 19, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
That's pretty cool, actually. I figured this thread would be slagging and empty complaints. Now I get to post useful info on CHOPPING THE DEMON BOLT-WHORE!!! AAAR! AAAR! AAAAAAAAR!

(kinison reference)

By Peter Franzen
From Phoenix, AZ
Oct 20, 2012
Belay
"Don't be a jerk" is intentionally vague, and it means that the administrators have some leeway on either side to use their judgement on whether a thread gets locked or a post gets deleted.

As was said, we aren't just waiting around to stomp threads out of existence and we're all climbers who understand that not everything needs to be taken seriously. At the same time, we've all seen enough iterations of bolt chopping threads across all of the climbing sites over the years to know what inevitably happens when they go on long enough, and it gets tiring watching everything degenerate into the same snarky bullshit every week.

By Peter Franzen
From Phoenix, AZ
Oct 20, 2012
Belay
chufftard wrote:
If excessive negativity and baiting is ignored, it will go away.

I'd love to believe that but there is a whole lot of evidence to the contrary, even on climbing sites. It's actually sort of amazing to look at what happens when there is literally zero moderation, and I suspect that the majority of the users on this site wouldn't be too thrilled if it turned into an outdoorsy version of 4chan.

By Yo Momma'99
Oct 20, 2012
M Sprague wrote:

oh boy ...you poor fella..

By slk
From Reno, NV
Oct 20, 2012
me

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Oct 20, 2012
Colonel Mustard
slk wrote:
M Sprauge says - "Locking something when it has gotten completely away from discussion into just exchanging personal insults is sometimes the only practical way to put a chill on it. " But you really mean censor it right? Why do you need to "put a chill on it"? And why are you talking like a goddamn hippy? Oh, wait, can I say that?

Man, you are a jerk. But so on topic!

This thread also handily confirms who I thought were the big movers and lockers here.

Again, to be plain, I'm generally not against locking, moderating, or whatever in the interest of quelling certain pointless, just mean-spirited arguments.

But sometimes it's pretty arbitrary here and is more about a preference or aesthetic of expression. Or something hippy like that. But hell, anybody who has been on any board for a length of time knows it's not really about being entirely fair, and that this ain't a public street corner.

By slk
From Reno, NV
Oct 20, 2012
me
Colonel Mustard wrote:
Man, you are a jerk. But so on topic!

Whatever dummy. Nice hat.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Oct 20, 2012
Colonel Mustard
slk wrote:
Whatever dummy. Nice hat.

Thank you, sir.

By J Q
Oct 21, 2012
Me again!
This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.

By Cultivating Mass
Oct 21, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
Classic to watch THIS thread degenerate. Irony city. Alright, time to go spend time with the opposite sex. I'll be back soon to watch "my stories"....