Dont grab the quickdraw!

Dec 7, 2012
25' drop...wheeeeee!

MAN ALIVE!

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Dec 7, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Someone hear managed to get the quickdraw through his forearm doing that I recall. Remember that picture?

By Dylan Weldin
From Austin, Texas
Summit of my first tower, the Rectory via Fine Jade

Stich wrote:

Stich, I expected better from you... someone *HERE

By Arianne Hendrick
From North Pole, AK
Dec 8, 2012
Soloing upper tiers of Hayes falls

That is a gnarly picture. I kinda like it.

By ChristopherAust
From Ohio
omg

Someone should tell him that he's doing it wrong.

By TWK
Dec 8, 2012

There was a climber who hung out at the Gunks in the 70s and 80s who was missing most of an index finger. Rumor had it that he lost it by falling after he stuck it through the eye of a resident piton.

Grabbing a QuickDraw or a resident pin constitutes direct aid.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Colonel Mustard

Stich wrote:

[sarcasm] Nah, somehow that gnarly fucking pic of the quickdraw piercing the dude through his goddamn funny bone didn't stick in my cranium. Totally humdrum and light. [/sarcasm]

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Mathematical!

Yikes. Super gnarls.

By Keny Glasscock
From Salt Lake City
Dec 8, 2012

Ouch. Super glue will fix that. And a qualude.

By Blissab

20 kN wrote:
Or else...

Let me guess...French Free?

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Dec 8, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Dylan Weldin wrote:
Stich, I expected better from you... someone *HERE And yes, yes I do. I'd love to HEAR the backstory related to this photo. How was that much force generated?

By John Husky
Dec 8, 2012

A fine arguement for the notchless biners. You know the ones like the petzls.

By Hamilton Kibbe
From Boston, MA
Dec 8, 2012
About to set up a fire TR anchor

TWK wrote:
Grabbing a QuickDraw or a resident pin constitutes direct aid.

If he dies of blood loss do we upgrade the route to A5?

By Cole Phinney
From Sheridan, Wy

Hamilton Kibbe wrote:
If he dies of blood loss do we upgrade the route to A6?

Nah, if he hung there long enough to die of blood loss he totally had time to free the route, the route stays c3.

By Gunkiemike
Dec 9, 2012

Chilling thought - did the rope catch him? Or did his hand?

By M Sprague
From New England
Dec 9, 2012

It actually looks fake to me. Who would leave it in and tape the gate back so it didn't press on the hand? It would have been easier and less painful to take it out. The skin is also not held up where it supposedly runs underneath. I also suspect there would be more blood involved with such a deep puncture.

By Pitty
From Marbach
Dec 9, 2012
My cool Elly....

M Sprague wrote:

Everybody having had a first emergency response training!!!!!
do not ever take anything out of a bigger wound! cut as much as you can of the object and fix the rest as good as you can to the wounded body!!!!!!!!

it is not a fake, it is a photo taken after rescue!

By Unassigned User
Dec 9, 2012

wow!

By Pitty
From Marbach
Dec 9, 2012
My cool Elly....

the tape at the gate was put on to decrease the preasure of the biner at the wound!

By RockyMtnTed
Dec 9, 2012

M Sprague wrote:

Yeah really? Pretty much anyone who has had ANY type of basic first aid training knows not to pull something out of a wound like that. Take it to the hospital and have them do it, you are going to have to go to the ER to have it sutured anyway so might as well let them take it out as well. And obviously the tape was put on to keep the gate from pressing into the skin.... Sheesh a little scary, I would suggest you take a w-emt class before you injury a partner in the backcountry!

By Brian
From North Kingstown, RI
Dec 9, 2012

Open it up in Photoshop zoom-in and look at the edges near the cut. It is clearly a fake.

By John Husky
Dec 9, 2012

As a certified couch surfing first responder I am unsure if it is fake or not!! I am sure that you would need more than a roll of tape to keep me from pulling it out, unless I couldn't. Also tape to keep me from killing the nearest dick-hole with a camera.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Dec 9, 2012
Epic free solo with a pack on

I'd be stoked to have this picture afterwards if this were my hand, provided I'm not permanently injured by it! If it got infected and I lost half of my arm, I'm sure the picture would evoke some ugly emotions though

By TWK
Dec 9, 2012

One can't tell by looking at the image in photoshop if it's real or fake.

Puncture wounds in muscle, fascia, and connective tissue typically don't bleed profusely unless a vessel is injured. It would likely bleed more when the foreign object is removed. A tourniquet may already be placed on the limb. The two central digits appear swollen from a real injury.

By Scott O