Donations for John Long
   Page 1 of 4.  1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>

By Peter Stokes
From Them Thar Hills
Wall Street, Moab, UT

I'm passing this along from Steph Davis:

On Thursday November 29th John Long took a fall while climbing that resulted in a bad open lower leg/ankle break. He was rushed to the hospital by EMS and taken immediately into emergency surgery. While John is stable he will need a couple more surgeries and lots of physical therapy and rehab. This donations fund has been set up to help with all of the medical costs that are not covered by insurance and to help with any other out of pocket costs that are quickly mounting. We're asking for all of you in the community to help out one of the men who has done so much for us and any amount will be greatly appreciated.

johnlongdonations.chipin.com/john-long

By Adam Stackhouse
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013

Was this in a gym?

By Peter Stokes
From Them Thar Hills
Wall Street, Moab, UT

I just heard about it today, so I don't have much info, but yes- it sounds like it was in a gym.

By rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Dec 7, 2012
The traverse out to the Yellow Ridge on the Dogstick Ridge link-up.  Photo by Myriam Bouchard

It was in a gym.

A huge number of climbers have benefited from Long's books on climbing and anchors. If you are one of them, this would be a good time to help out someone who made your life on the rocks a lot safer.

By Charles Kinbote
From Brooklyn, NY
On Waimea, 5.10d

Stay classy, Mountain Proj.

By mountainhick
From Black Hawk, CO

Charles Kinbote wrote:
Stay classy, Mountain Proj.

I just about spit a mouthful of coffee all over my keyboard reading that. Funny, Thanks for a good laugh!

By Adam Stackhouse
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013

moderation

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
tanuki

What is lame is you taking a dump on a thread to help another climber.

You don't like it or don't want to participate, cool. In fact, totally cool. That is your preference. To use this thread as a soapbox to vent your spleen about self-reliance and how much your last "" operation cost is 100% inappropriate and totally lame.

By TWK
Dec 7, 2012

Get the thread back on track, ladies.

This is about Largo, our brother to whom we owe a great deal.

By rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Dec 7, 2012

Post removed---because other posts were removed.

Carry on...

By Doug Lintz
From Kearney, NE
Destroyer of popcorn

Rgold, I don't think that was directed at you. I think the post he was replying to was removed.

Viva Largo!

By kevin murphy
From Lafayette, Colorado
road

yeah, MP deleted my post. i never thought that would happen, no swears, was not being mean, just stated i just felt there are people who REALLY need your $20 bucks. well mp, you are spineless.

By JesseT
From Portland, OR
25' drop...wheeeeee!

If not for John Long's books I would either A) not have stuck with climbing, B) never have left the gym, or C) be dead from making some half-cocked noob error.

By RockyMtnTed

rgold wrote:

By rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY

RockyMtnTed wrote:
Uhhh I totally dont understand that line of reasoning. Did he produce his books for charity or something? Pretty sure he made a profit off of us when he sold his books so to say I owe him something for purchasing his books is a bit crazy.... Hope he heals up and I am sure the spineless mods at MP will delete this post as well for some reason??

I can guarantee you that most people got more from Largo's writing than he made in profits, which were minimal. If the concept of generosity for a fellow climber and a sense of gratitude for spreading wisdom needs to be explained, clarified, and debated, then this was the wrong place to even bring up the subject.

Lesson learned. I'm sure there are many people of good will who will find it in their hearts to help out---see y'all somewhere else.

By matt davies

RockyMtnTed wrote:
Uhhh I totally dont understand that line of reasoning.

That is painfully obvious. rgold was not suggesting obligation, merely beneficence towards a man who contributed literally volumes to the educational canon of the sport. The profit of his books is overwhelmingly skewed in favor of the readers who benefitted from Long's experience and instruction, and to suggest that since he made money from their sales charity in his time of need is superfluous reveals a paucity of moral calculus, if not complete ignorance of true value.

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
rockerwaves

I for one would like to thank Largo for the stoke and inspiration he has shared with us for so long now!
I hope he heals swiftly!
I would love to attend the gathering in JT
Olaf

I think that this is very cool! <br />(Note the copy right date)
I think that this is very cool!
(Note the copy right date)

By Spam
Dec 8, 2012

Last time I saw Mr. Long was on a trail in Eldo....Windtower area...what a guy! What a willpower! what a passion!!!
We all can learn a thing or two from him.....
Cmmon guys its Christmas, it will mean a lot to him coming from climbing community!!!!
Grow some balls and splurge!!!!!!!!

By Jeremy Monahan
From Fort Fun, CO
View of Longs Peak from Mt. Alice, RMNP

Welp, Matt Davies nailed it, if you can get past the big words.

RockyMtnTed, there is more to writing books than just profit, which is pretty much why books are printed.

To say John Long contributed volumes to climbing is an understatement. I learned from Climbing Anchors, How To Rock Climb!, Advanced Rock Climbing, More Climbing Anchors, and several other books. Leave it or love it, he also wrote the basis for Cliffhanger. His documentation of the Stonemasters is one of the only remaining archives we have of climbing history in Yosemite and other locations throughout the 70's and 80's.

Three cheers for John Long, and for a speedy recovery!

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

I have a library of his books, magazine articles and old 'intro videos. His life stories are ones that send you rolling in laughter, with great memories years later. He IS the 'nose in a day' poster boy, and don't forget he got to hang with Lynn Hill and the best of them back then. Hope he is on the way to a speedy recovery. I know it took me 4 months to get off crutches after my broken ankle at age 57, so guessing another older guy might heal a bit slow too. Best of luck to John.

By Gunkiemike

Done.

By CJC
Dec 8, 2012

it's unfathomable this happened at a gym of all places

supposed to be the safest place to climb right?

this is a bad injury in terms of rehab...3 months on crutches at age 22 and they did tell me I'd never climb again. but I did. lots of PT and pain though. pain that never really goes away entirely.

he is going to be laid up for awhile

don't drop your climbing partners! JFC a gym?

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Dec 8, 2012
You stay away from mah pig!

The hilarious thing about the internet is that it exposes ideas to such a huge range of people that, eventually, no matter how simple or benign a thread is, some idiot out there, somewhere, will see a debate, argument, or point of contention in it. And then they can comment on it, making it appear as if there is some sort of actual debate. This thread is a great example.

Kevin, Ted, it's really simple: a standout member of our community got hurt, and could use some help. That's it. There is no argument, you either throw down some cash, wish him well, or shut the fuck up.

By Tevis Blom
Dec 8, 2012

As we all know, finding a real mentor to teach us to stay alive out there is tough.
John Long's books probably kept me alive through my early climbing/trad experiences!
Donation sent.

By Christian "crisco" Burrell
From PG, Utah
Dec 8, 2012
Our less than official sponsor!

It sure seems like a lot of our old hero's are having bad things happen the last few years or so. It's very sad to me. Be safe out there everyone!

By Spam
Dec 8, 2012

Most people don't know the physical challenges this man has to endure to keep on climbing....

Page 1 of 4.  1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>