Dolomite and Alpine Classics in Mid to Late June

By metcalfd
From Reston VA
Jun 4, 2014
Soloing in the Dells

Heading to Europe next week to do some routes in Austria, Italy and Switzerland. Main objectives are Comici on Cima Grande and Cassin on Piz Badile. Would love to meet some other climbers while I'm over there! Anyone gonna be in the area??

By kenr
Jun 5, 2014

Will you have a car?
Your own Trad rack and ropes?
Guidebooks other than some twenty-year-old English-language select guide?

Interested in some shorter easier routes or some cragging on days when you're not ticking off the grand classics?

By mrcn
Jun 5, 2014

Did you check webcams?
There's a lot of snow in Dolomites (most snowy winter in last couple of years) so I suggest that you stick to south faces unless you're ready for winter conditions.

I'll be in Val Venosta last week of june, mostly for cycling and MTB. Let me know if you're insterested in a day or two of sport climbing anywhere within 2-3 hours drive from there (Arco, Val Gardena etc).

By kenr
Jun 5, 2014

mrcn wrote:
There's a lot of snow in Dolomites

I have not checked webcams for this year, but here's some photos from second half of June in another year: roberts-1.com/t/b08/itj/i/stelvio.htm

Anyway, there's no shortage of S-facing high-mountain rock routes in those regions.

By mrcn
Jun 6, 2014

I should've quote metcalfd as he was the one I asked about webcams:)

This year is pretty unusual, I have info about valparola pass parking still under snow couple of days ago.

By metcalfd
From Reston VA
Jun 7, 2014
Soloing in the Dells

I will have a partner, car, rope, rack, etc. The guide that we have is Classic Dolomite Climbs and a few others rented from the AAC. We're probably going to hit up some local crags around Cortina di Ampezzo June 17th and 18th and would love to meet some other cool climbers. Regarding current webcams, do you have any good links to cams in the Dolomites/Bregaglia region?

By MacM
From Cave Creek/Preskitt, AZ
Jun 8, 2014
3rd Day in JTree

I'll be there! Haha. Use the search field brohaus! I've contacted a few other people too.

Oh, and I hope you waterproofed the shit out of your stuff. No doubt it's going to be wet for sure. Type 3 fun will be achieved without a doubt.

-Mac

By metcalfd
From Reston VA
Jun 8, 2014
Soloing in the Dells

Type 3 is my favorite!!

By mrcn
Jun 12, 2014

www.bergfex.com/sommer/val-bregaglia/webcams/c6589/
this site can also show most of the webcams in dolomites and alps (at least for Austria, Switzerland and Italy) Just type name of city/area in search field and use webcam menu on the left

cortina
cortina.dolomiti.org/index.cfm/foto-video/Webcam/

webcams in huts
www.rifuginrete.com/webcam

By kenr
Jun 12, 2014

mrcn wrote:

Yes but especially with webcams for ski resorts, be careful to check the date of the photo. Many Euro (and American) ski resorts stop broadcasting their webcam at the end of ski season -- and just leave the last photo.

So sometimes the photo you see on their website now in June is still showing the snow from April.
(not a problem for the specific ones linked by mcrp)

Ken

By rickziegler
Jun 14, 2014

If it helps at all, we have been climbing on the Sella Group this week. South faces are dry. Sella towers, Piz Ciavazes and south side of Piz Pordoi are good to go. Still lots of run off on north and northwest faces.

By kenr
Jun 14, 2014

Tnanks -- that's what I've been hoping for -- nice to know it's true.

By rickziegler
Jun 15, 2014

You're welcome! We wil be in the area the next two weeks, so will know more soon.
I'm hoping that there are routes on Tofana de Rozes and Tre Cima area that are ok but haven't been able to get any info yet. I have heard that Cinque Torre area is climbable too.