Does anyone use/used arm compression??

By BrandonB
From Cincinnati, OH
Jul 18, 2013
Me
I just saw some arm compression sleeves and was reading about the increase of blood flow, temp increase and wondered if anyone had ever used them (in the winter or cold times) and noticed a difference?

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Jul 18, 2013
OTL
dey help me sink my jumpers fo sho

could be useful as 'forearm tape' on wide/deep cracks

By CodyL
From North Carolina
Jul 18, 2013
I've used the leg compression sleeves for running and they do help with blood flow, same principle is used during certain surgeries to help promote blood flow. Never worn arm sleeves though

By divnamite
From New York, NY
Jul 18, 2013
I'm not a professional trainer but I did stay at a holiday inn last night. As far as I know, it's good for recovery, but not much evidence that it's helpful during exercise.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Jul 18, 2013
if your thinking in terms of support then they can be useful in the short term...ie supporting a weak joint.

In terms of blood flow - if you're compressing then i would think that arterial resistance goes up and thus less blood delivered. If your trying to increase venous return then compression helps but a elastic band isnt going to add much your muscles can't do during exercise for upper body.

When its cold it helps insulate but so does a shirt.

The sleeves used on patients feet during long surgeries are to prevent deep vein thrombosis since the muscular-venous pump isnt in action.

my 2 cents.

By Brad Caldwell
From Deep in the Jocassee Gorges
Jul 18, 2013
Yo T...from a physiologist's point of view, thank you for the well started response!

Gimmic unless there's a short term need for slight stabilization.

By Bryan Ferguson
From Castle Rock
Jul 18, 2013
Marvin and Greg scoping Crow's Heads Spires - snowed out on fall 1982 attempt

"dey help me sink my jumpers fo sho"

By MHLeitch
Jul 18, 2013
Bryan Ferguson wrote:
Hey MP, should openly racist comments be sustained or do they violate guideline #1? "dey help me sink my jumpers fo sho"

I don't think it's racist at all. Here in North Carolina a lot of people talk like that, white, black, Hispanic.

By RockinOut
From NY, NY
Jul 19, 2013
Gear
Bryan Ferguson wrote:

You need to get out more.... maybe to a basketball court or something...

By Bryan Ferguson
From Castle Rock
Jul 20, 2013
Marvin and Greg scoping Crow's Heads Spires - snowed out on fall 1982 attempt
Bryan Ferguson wrote:

Well, MP?

By Bryan Ferguson
From Castle Rock
Jul 20, 2013
Marvin and Greg scoping Crow's Heads Spires - snowed out on fall 1982 attempt
Matt N wrote:
dey help me sink my jumpers fo sho

This comment is clearly racist and does not contribute to the original query. It is offensive and insensitive and contributes to the fair assumption that outdoor education lags behind when it comes to diversity.

By Bryan Ferguson
From Castle Rock
Jul 20, 2013
Marvin and Greg scoping Crow's Heads Spires - snowed out on fall 1982 attempt
MHLeitch wrote:

Really? Not at all? Are you sure you don't want to reconsider?

By Bryan Ferguson
From Castle Rock
Jul 20, 2013
Marvin and Greg scoping Crow's Heads Spires - snowed out on fall 1982 attempt
RockinOut wrote:
You need to get out more.... maybe to a basketball court or something...

Thanks for the advice.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Jul 20, 2013
OTL
Okay, I'll bite.

I never mentioned race. Mr Ferguson assumed something there. A 'pre-judgement' was made on your part, perhaps?

Lets play ... is it racist.

Did you laugh at this recent news issue?

I did. For some reason, its the last one that really gets me. I'm sure many people here in the US and around the globe both laughed and/or were horribly offended. Which is worse? For who?

Hopefully you were/are entertained. Enjoy the rest of your Fri night.

Oh, and I posted that original comment, b/c that's what popped into my head when reading the OP. Sarcasm/dialect can be hard to type, so I had to try hard.

By Donald Kerabatsos
Jul 20, 2013
4 consecutive posts, now that's racist.

Plus, it's only a guideline, like the speed limit, and you're clearly in violation of it for being racist in assuming only black people play basketball. I personally take offense to that because I have a pretty mean lay-up.