Do You French Blow?
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By Monty
From Golden, CO
Just a teaser
Do you do the French blow? I think it's a euro thing but i see people do it in the states pretty often, or maybe I'm just weird. The french blow is when you chalk up, but then blow on your hand for some reason. I don't know if it's to remind you to breathe, for flare, or if it blows the extra chalk off for maximum friction!

Lets try to get some stats here.
1. Yes/ No
2. Why or why not?
3. What type of climbing do you do?

for me:
1. Yes
2. I don't know why, it's like smoking. You don't know why you start, but can't seem to stop. I do feel like it helps a lot sometimes
3. I'm an all-around climber sport, trad, boulder.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jul 18, 2011
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
FACT: No one knows what you are talking about.

By Jeremy Monahan
From Fort Fun, CO
View of Longs Peak from Mt. Alice, RMNP
Stich wrote:
FACT: No one knows what you are talking about.

+1. I even googled it. Nothing.

By Red
From Arizona
Cobra Kai
I know what you are talking about.

1. yes I do it.
2. an attempt to dry the moisture between fingers and to get the extra unnecessary chalk off the finger tips (better friction).
3. I only do it sport climbing.

By JJNS
Jul 18, 2011
I know what your talking about but I don't do it.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jul 18, 2011
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
What exactly do the French have to do with this vague act?

By Red
From Arizona
Cobra Kai
Stich wrote:
What exactly do the French have to do with this vague act?

it's like grabbing draws; a lot of them seem to do it.

By Darren Mabe
From Flagstaff, AZ
Jul 18, 2011
wham bam hand jam. Wrapping up the final moves of ...
1. yup (but i call it the Euro Blow)
2. because its cool, especially mid move.
3. rock

By RyanO
From sunshine
Jul 18, 2011
You know what? I guess I do... I think it just started recently though, i must have seen one of my climbing idols doing it and then thought i would be cool like them if I did too. I mean, if it helps some european superdude send his projects, why shouldn't it help me send mine?

Then again.. every time I chalk up these days I think about Earl Wiggins climbing the Cruise free solo with no chalk bag.. then I start to feel silly and stop chalking, at which point I will start french blowing if i'm not quite ready to get on with the business because i've already ruled out more chalk as an option..

Does that answer your question?

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jul 18, 2011
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
OK, without searching for this, I'm taking a stab at it. This is the act of dabbing a ton of chalk on the hands and then blowing each hand to remove the excess, thusly creating an impressive cloud.

Am I right?

By Dom
From New Brunswick Canada
Moby dick 5.11-
1. Yes I do
2. Because I put excessive amount of chalk on my hands, especially at rests right before the crux.
3. 50% sport, 40% trad, 10% boulder

By matt.l.b
Personal
Don't forget the wine. Cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Climbing.

Another Thread.

By Owen Darrow
From Garmisch,
Nice view
1. Sometimes and
1. I don't know why
2. I climb everything but I do it a lot ice climbing, makes the digits warm and substitutes glove s :)

By doligo
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style
Stich wrote:
What exactly do the French have to do with this vague act?

climbing.com/exclusive/feature...

See #9:

9 Although whether the fingertip chalk blow actually helps on hard redpoints has yet to be proven, the practice is ubiquitous. The “Euroblow” was in fact popularized by French mega-star Patrick Edlinger in the documentary La vie au bout des doigts (1982), in which we see the trademark blow giving him amazing free-soloing powers, augmented only by filmy running shorts and a red bandana, in France’s Verdon Gorge. Wrote Dale Goddard in a 1988 Climbing piece: “Ever since Edlinger popularized the practice… the French have been conspicuously turning their heads to the side and with a casual expression, blowing their fingertips.”

By slim
Jul 18, 2011
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
you know, every once in a while i get excited and do it, but i usually end up accidently spitting on my fingers, which results in the need to chalk up again.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
NO, and nice to blame this action on the French; glad it's not the Brits or Italians this time.

By slim
Jul 18, 2011
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
should probably rename it the 'freedom blow" !

By Chuck Parks
From Atlanta, GA
Jul 18, 2011
Chuck in the final mellow section of Te Dum at the...
There's a mom joke in there somewhere....

1) Yes
2) Mainly I do it to remove chalk from my hands(duh). I hate getting on routes that are covered with years of chalk. "To Defy the Laws of Tradition" at the Red River Gorge comes to mind. It's a 5.10, and it's basically one solid wall of chalk.

If it's cooler, sometimes I'll just wipe my hand on my pants instead. But when it's hot out, there really is no dry part of me (except my freshly-chalked hands). "The blow" seems like the most practical solution.

3) Trad, sport. Rarely go to the gym.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jul 18, 2011
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
slim wrote:
should probably rename it the 'freedom blow" !

Agreed. I fondly remember that brief, embarassing time of renewed hatred of the French for their lack on enthusiasm for warmongering. I bolted a forgettable sport route at Reimer's Ranch near Austin and named it "Freedom Fries." Sadly, it didn't make it in the guide book, and so is long fogotten.

By caughtinside
From Oakland CA
Jul 18, 2011
The French Blow is big fun, do it all the time just to annoy my buddies.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Jul 18, 2011
The Cathedral Spires in RMNP, left to right: Stile...
slim wrote:
should probably rename it the 'freedom blow" !

Definitely the best comment yet. So many places to go with it..

I find myself not using chalk for multiple pitches in a row and then needing it all of a sudden. I sometimes use the "French Blow" several times in a row on said pitch. I think it's because I only use Bison's Competition Chalk, which seems to be super fine. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

By Kirk Miller
From Golden, CO
Bugaboos, 1978 Photo by Ken Trout
Only when I'm ice climbing... sometimes if I get too gripped on radical aid.

but never my partner...

sorry.

By Keith H. North
From Englewood, CO
A short M4 climb in the School Room @ Ouray
Stich wrote:
FACT: No one knows what you are talking about.

I know exactly what you are talking about.

1: Yes either blow or slap it off on my pant leg.
2: Because it's a habbit, because I keep a lot of chalk in my chalk bag and if there is too much on my hand it gets slick.
3: Sport, Trad, Boulder, Ice, Mixed, and Plastic... everything but Aid

I never blow at my partner, though I have been diagnosed sever chalkinhilationitus from my clouds.

By Tank
Jul 18, 2011
Been doing it for a while, I usually wipe my hand on my pants/bandana (whichever is less drenched in sweat), chalk up, then blow the excess chalk off. I'm glad this technique has a name that I can now make fun of..

1. Yes
2. improves friction/looks badass
3. sport/trad

By Vaughne
1) Yes
2) To remove excess chalk improving friction
3) Everything

I am convinced it helps achieve maximum friction. Obviously if you had a 1/4" thick layer of chalk on your hands you would have no friction. Its all about finding just the right amount of chalk.

By Grover
Jul 18, 2011
I dont use chalk, its bad for the environment.

Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>