Displaced CO and Western States climber now living in Illinois looking for WI, MN, IL, etc partners

By Alex Shainman
From the best place right now!
Apr 22, 2014
Is there any good gear or solid holds up here???

I just moved to this flat little town 1.5 hours south of Chicago (moved here for a work project) and will be looking to meet climbers to partner up with in a couple of months...

Hoping to check out some of the classic "local" areas of the region, like Devils Lake, Jackson Falls, etc. Looking to meet people to climb with, sandbag me, general shit-talking and all that...

I'm quite busy with work and healing a couple chronic injuries but wanting to hit the classics maybe starting early June.

Cheers!

Oh and where the hell can a guy get in a good hike around these parts haha???

By Chris Schmidt
From Moab/SW CO
Apr 22, 2014

I went from IL to CO and recommend you reverse back here ASAP

By Craig T
From Chicago, IL
Apr 23, 2014

Hour south of Chicago, eh? There are some great hikes if you like endless fields of corn. Occasionally you will stumble on some soybeans, and that's quite a treat.

By Alex Shainman
From the best place right now!
Apr 24, 2014
Is there any good gear or solid holds up here???

What!!!???...There are cornfields out here??? Haha oh yeah it's still springtime before the 10' tall grow season.

Dude! As soon as I passed through Nebraska I was like WTF have I gotten myself into??? What a sad day driving past CO haha. It's spelled coloRADo for a reason!

So...Anyone got any positive comments like how bitchin your local midwest climbing area is??? ;-)

By Rob Dillon
Apr 24, 2014

Buy a road bike, dude.

By Craig T
From Chicago, IL
Apr 24, 2014

Being south of Chicago puts you closer to the So Ill areas. Jackson Falls for sport, and Holy Boulders for bouldering are the standouts. You're also a wee bit closer to Red River Gorge. I would just start with the local gym though. We here in the midwest spend most of our time in gyms.

By aed
From Jackson, WY
Apr 24, 2014
aed

North shore of Lake Superior in MN is good. It's a long way from Chicago, but make sure you make a trip up there.

By Ed Wright
Apr 24, 2014
Magic Ed

You should be near Kankakee State Park for some hiking--there's even a bit of rock there but climbing has been banzed.

Also note that you're only about 5 hours from the Red River Gorge.

Devil's Lake and Jackson Falls are both worthwhile destinations. You CO guys can laugh (hell, I'm a CO guy) but there is no better rock anywhere than Devil's Lake quartzite. Takes a bit of getting used to but the climbing is superb--strenuous and technical and no bolts.

By Eric Jel
Apr 24, 2014

I also live south of Chicago and spent last summer in Moab, so I feel your pain on the featureless landscape. Jackson Falls seems to be the only real climbing in the state. Starved Rock state park offers some decent hikes and ice climbs in the winter, although, as you'll find out Illinois state government likes to regulate everything and the conservation police live up to their shitty reputation, so avoid them if you can. Welcome to the land of Lincoln bro !