Devils Lake Cell Reception

By Joe50131
From Johnston, Iowa
Jun 7, 2013
My Climbing Partner and I have planned a trip to Devils Lake for the first time next weekend to do some climbing and I am leaving my 8 month pregnant wife at home with concerns about being able to reach me. This is looking like our last opportunity to make it out to climb before the child is born. What I need to know is: Is there cell reception at Devils Lake so she can reach me if need be? Or is there better reception in different parts of the park, East vs. West bluff? Any insight would be great. Thanks

By Doug Hemken
Jun 7, 2013
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.
Reception is good along the East Rampart.

By Joe50131
From Johnston, Iowa
Jun 7, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply Doug. That info will be useful. Any other input will be greatly appreciated.

By Gokul
Jun 7, 2013
At the "summit"
I've generally had pretty good signal at the tops of both bluffs and very poor reception in the parking lots. And that's with AT&T. Anything else ought to be better, but I've seen people with Verizon also struggle for reception in the parking areas.

By Kris Peterson
From rockton,il
Jun 9, 2013
never leave home without one
I've had great luck with multiple phones and companies. US Cellular was probably the best. Verizon is very good. Only a couple spots with shaky reception. T-Mobile wasn't too bad, surprisingly. Of course the higher you get, the better the reception. But I have no problem at the beach either.

By Doug Hemken
Jun 9, 2013
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.
I get almost nothing at Horse Rampart.

By Woodchuck ATC
Jun 9, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
I have Virgin Mobile and have sometimes gotten a poor signal standing in middle of open parking lot at south shore of lake, but never get any signal anywhere else or near a cliff line.

By Joe50131
From Johnston, Iowa
Jun 9, 2013
Thank you all for your input. I use US Cellular for a carrier which from Kris's comment sounds pretty encouraging. I think I should be able to make it work. I hope the weather permits the trip as my climbing partner and I are looking forward to it very much.

By Chris treggE
From Madison, WI
Jun 9, 2013
Other fun stuff.
US Cellular isn't bad. I wouldn't spend much time on the south shore if you are worried about missing phone calls. Unless you are bouldering, this shouldn't be an issue. West Bluff and East Bluff are fine.