Denver to Kansas City

By Kai Huang
From Thornton, CO
Mar 25, 2013

Fortunately or unfortunately that I will have to make a trip from Denver to Kansas City. I am not expecting any climbing, great if there is, but I would be interested in finding out if there is anything to do or see along the way. Also where can I camp over night for cheap or free? If anyone has any suggestions, that would be much appreciated.

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Mar 25, 2013

Having driven that stretch a few times, there isn't much along the drive. At one point, there is a rest stop with a few very short boulders.

Kansas bouldering.
Kansas bouldering.

Somewhere closer to Kansas City, there are some sandstone-appearing bluffs that draw the eye.

Some posts include these:

Somewhere in the hidden hills of Kansas
Somewhere in the hidden hills of Kansas

"From Oberlin, take Hwy US 36 5 miles West to the Traer Road. Go North 7 miles then 2 West to the village of Traer. From Traer take the only road South out of town for about 1 mile. Elephant Rock sits on private property on a bluff west of the road."
--- Invalid image id: 107235347 ---
"Best chunk of rock in Kansas" in Salina. One boulder V0-V4.
IS there chance of top roping or trad climbing at Cedar Bluffs?
IS there chance of top roping or trad climbing at Cedar Bluffs?

Cedar Bluffs.
--- Invalid image id: 107589561 ---
--- Invalid image id: 107988485 ---
Minneapolis Rock-City. "Rock City is 3 1/2 miles south of Minneapolis off Highway 106, or about 20 miles north of Salina at Exit 250 on I-70."
The smaller of two mushroom rocks.
The smaller of two mushroom rocks.

"About 20 miles SW of Salina, Kansas off Highway 140 is Kansas' smallest state park - Mushroom Rock State Park."

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Mar 25, 2013
Stabby

I used to have to make that drive. Ugggh.
This is all I can think of:
www.mountainproject.com/v/rock-city/107250125

By EricSchmidt
Mar 25, 2013

its an 8 hour drive... why are you bivying alone the way?

By Dan Allard
From West Chester, PA
Mar 25, 2013
Day at Summersville Lake

Those Rock City boulders look kinda cool..

This isn't climbing and I haven't actually checked it out but as you're driving east along I-70 you'll see these signs everywhere...might be entertaining.. hah

Largest prarie dog in the world!
Largest prarie dog in the world!

5 Legged live steer - pet the baby pigs!
5 Legged live steer - pet the baby pigs!

By Kai Huang
From Thornton, CO
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks for the quick responses. I might not have to do it after all.

I was gonna make it a weekend trip and make it little more fun than hauling ass out and back in 16 hours.

By Doug Lintz
From Kearney, NE
Mar 25, 2013
Destroyer of popcorn

Rock City's boulders have amazing texture but are heavily featured (mostly V0 and easier). They're good for an hour of eliminates and that's about it.

By Glenn Schuler
From Monument, Co.
Mar 25, 2013
A grey fox skull wedged in a crack 100' up on a FA I was working on - don't see that every day...

Hey Doug, funny you should post on this thread. I am headed to Grand Island for a couple of weeks for work and was trying to remember who the guy was from Kearney!
What do you do between climbing trips? Are there any climbing gyms out there? I know it's a long shot but figured I 'd ask.