Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Denver chosen top city to live in
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 2 of 3.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Jan 30, 2009
Me, of course
My Great Grand Mother said "you're not allowed to hate anyone or anything but Hitler and Mussolini." Peace and love brother, peace and love. Evan S
From Erie, CO
Joined Dec 30, 2007
550 points
Administrator
Jan 30, 2009
Llama Races- Fairplay, Colorado
Harold Lampasso wrote:
I think all the bad drivers are from Texas! LOL!


Awww bite me! LOL!

I thought the Californians took the heat off of us years ago.......
Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Joined Dec 9, 2003
595 points
Jan 30, 2009
Another J-Tree route
The only time I have to deal with traffic is during morning rush hour when I'm heading into the mountains to climb. Then I hit evening rush hour when I'm heading home from the mountains.
I guess that's my punishment for climbing when everyone else is at work.
Nick Grue
From Northglenn, CO
Joined Sep 4, 2008
9 points
Jan 30, 2009
This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I thi...
Our standard to obtain a driver's license is way too week. In Sweden they have a difficult driving and written exam including controlling a car in a skid ( they use oiled track in the summer and ice in the winter). Imagine that, you have to know how to handle a vehicle before you get a license to drive one. That country has the best drivers I have ever seen. I wonder if we could lower our insurance rates by having a tougher standard? Rick Blair
From Denver
Joined Oct 16, 2007
286 points
Jan 30, 2009
self portrait
It's funny how a post about Denver being a place many people want to live quickly devolved into a rant about traffic. Many of my suburban friends have the same complaint.
Here's the secret: If you live and work in central Denver, you only need to drive when you are leaving town. The daily commute involves walking, biking or public transportation.
Tom R
From Denver, CO
Joined Sep 14, 2008
157 points
Jan 30, 2009
Hank Caylor wrote:
Awww bite me! LOL! I thought the Californians took the heat off of us years ago.......


Hanky, a little birdy told me you were recently in TX, F-YOU for not looking me up!

Some observations from I-35 between Austin and San Antonio:

1. Speed limit 70mph/65mph night.

However...

2. If you drive less that 85mph in the left lane you will have an F350 crawling up your ass.

3. If you drive less than 85mph in the right lane you will have a semi crawling up your ass.

4. Center lane is 50-55mph; reserved for blue hairs, disabled vets in Cadillacs and people towing wrecks they're taking home from the salvage yard.

5. You will not be pulled over for less than 105mph.

6. The right lane most certainly IS for passing.

7. Traffic immediately slows to less than 15mph for all lanes upon entering Austin.
patrick wild
Joined Jan 13, 2007
36 points
Jan 30, 2009
Shawn Mitchell wrote:
Nah. Illegal? Doubt it. Often it happens even after the merge lane line stops, and cars blast by in the wide part before it tapers to one lane. So, doubt it's illegal for me to swing wide there. Counterproductive? Nope. It's counter productive for the rushing mergers to shoot past the gaps and clog up the last 50' in a pile-stop. Jealous they're getting ahead of me? Nope. Irritated because they're passing openings only to go clog things up and slow everyone down.


Let me get this straight: you think its ok to "swing wide" into the path of another car merely because you're irritated. Dangerous, and possibly prosecutable as assault (with a deadly weapon, too) or reckless or careless driving.

BTW, wasn't swinging wide what Larry Craig claimed he was doing? What is it with you Republicans
PRRose
From Boulder
Joined Feb 11, 2006
2 points
Administrator
Jan 30, 2009
Llama Races- Fairplay, Colorado
patrick wild wrote:
Hanky, a little birdy told me you were recently in TX, F-YOU for not looking me up!


Dude, I was on my Honeymoon and we just saw family.....and had massive amounts of Margaritas and sex.
Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Joined Dec 9, 2003
595 points
Jan 30, 2009
Hank Caylor wrote:
Dude, I was on my Honeymoon and we just saw family.....and had massive amounts of Margaritas and sex.


You are forgiven...

You know I would have loved to have jumped in on some of that action.




Christ people, I talking about the Margs...
patrick wild
Joined Jan 13, 2007
36 points
Jan 30, 2009
I'm gonna try and move this discussion back towards the OP's title.

I was born and raised in C. Springs, lived in Boulder about 13 yrs then moved to Austin about 4 yrs ago. While Austin is a cool, 'vibrant' city, with some alright climbing, I'm looking to relocate this summer after I graduate from college.

I'm looking for jobs on the Front Range (anywhere in CO, really) because I know from experience that it's a great place to live and the Denver Metro area is a hub for the industry I hope to enter (Geographic Information Science). For me, CO is where my friends and family reside, it also has the recreational and employment opportunities I desire.

At the same time, I'm open to new places. Does anyone out there have suggestions for cities or regions that are rich in rock and have employment opportunities in my field?

Specific job openings would be greatly appreciated.
patrick wild
Joined Jan 13, 2007
36 points
Jan 30, 2009
road
Yo Pat,

Glad to hear you might be moving back this way. I heard through the grape vine theres a great job opening, in the GIS field, next to my ass.
Man I crack myself up. But for real, Doug Scott and a matty T. are both in that field. You should talk to them, get my # from Fresh.

Late-a

kevin
kevin murphy
From Lafayette, Colorado
Joined Feb 15, 2005
379 points
Jan 30, 2009
hiking 8-5-09 (Don't chase the rabbit!!!)
Goddamn it! New york is a WHOLE STATE! drivers who think they are the shit because they "know how to drive" in congested traffic in The City (haha, The) are usually the first ones either driving ~20mph BELOW the speed limit as soon as a snowflake hits the road, or the first ones to run themselves off the road because they are too aggressive. As I said, a whole state, meaning that only New Yorkers that regularly travel the state North (St. Lawrence river north, not freakin Oswego) to South (Long Island) can drive. It's like climbing, an all around proficiency is generally more useful than being exceptional in one discipline.
Sorry if I was offensive, I am still working on suppressing the angry New Yorker in me. Kinda funny when I can remember always being the mellow one of the bunch back East.
Phoenix
From louisville, colorado
Joined Jul 23, 2008
315 points
Jan 30, 2009
kevin murphy wrote:
Yo Pat, Glad to hear you might be moving back this way. I heard through the grape vine theres a great job opening, in the GIS field, next to my ass. Man I crack myself up. But for real, Doug Scott and a matty T. are both in that field. You should talk to them, get my # from Fresh. Late-a kevin



Murph Dog,

I heard through the grape vine your ass crack is rich in unmapped chossy rock!

AH-WOOOOOOOO
patrick wild
Joined Jan 13, 2007
36 points
Feb 2, 2009
Shawn Mitchell wrote:
I nearly flagged the hate speech. But if it's provoked by me doing something Colorado-ish, well, that makes me feel better about my shady California past.


No need to feel bad about it. Despite their rep, I think LA drivers are among the better in the country.
Edward Gerety
From Miami, FL
Joined Feb 26, 2006
6 points
Feb 2, 2009
The Beginning of Mr. Clean (5.8) at the Barkeater ...
Having been somewhat of a transient and having lived in cities with reputations for bad drivers (Boston, Chicago, Kansas City, and so on) I've gotta say that having been in CO for almost a year that it does indeed have a higher proportion of incompetent drivers. I don't know why this is but they don't know how to accelerate, merge, pass, or stay out of the left lane if they aren't passing. Anytime anything is happening on the side of the road everyone slows down 20 mph. I actually live in the Springs and only have to drive through Denver every once and a while but it sucks. That person weaving through traffic 20 mph faster than everybody else, that's me. Sorry I can't just sit there while the seemingly higher than usual SUV/Truck population blindly changes across four lanes of traffic while going under the speed limit. If I have to be aggressive to avoid being killed then so be it. Seriously, If thousands of Bostonians can drive to NYC doing 90 while six inches from the next cars bumper without causing major accidents then I'd say they're a lot better drivers than people who have to brake at every turn and lane change.

On another note, what's with all the trash on the sides of the road. I just had to replace my oil filter when a big piece of metal on the raod flew out from underneath someone elses car (they ran over it first and it looked like it would go to the side).
jmeizis
From Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Jul 30, 2008
305 points
Feb 2, 2009
Bunny pancake
Derek Lawrence wrote:
Thread Hijack.... Situating your car into 2 lanes is obstructing traffic and is the main reason why during the hwy 285 widening CDOT had signs saying "Use both lanes until merge point". Folks that blocked the lane were cited for obstructing traffic... If you've got some time and want to read hundreds of posts on the subject go to pinecam.com and search their forums.... BTW, i agree with the zipper method - just do it at the merge point - not 1 mile before....


My point exactly. People merging 10 miles b4 the merge point and then blocking others from following the direction of traffic are the problem
Mike McKinnon
From Golden, CO
Joined Aug 27, 2003
122 points
Feb 2, 2009
Zipper before the merge point, thanks. I don't mean 3 miles before it - just not at it. Think about it for a second. It keeps the flow going. I'm mainly bitching about the people who zip past everyone else to get to the front of the line at the merge point.

It figures that PR wants to argue with me. PR, are you one of those people saying "f-em" and trying to cut ahead right at the merge point in construction? You'd be fueling that lawyer stereotype if you were and I hope I get to block you.

I said Colorado drivers, which means the general driving population out here. That may or may not pertain to natives (however, it often does).

Finally, ain't it cool that I caused thread hijack? It is a worth topic.
Ben F
From Benfield, Kolorado
Joined Jan 1, 2001
410 points
Feb 2, 2009
Ben F wrote:
I'm mainly bitching about the people who zip past everyone else to get to the front of the line at the merge point. It figures that PR wants to argue with me. PR, are you one of those people saying "f-em" and trying to cut ahead right at the merge point in construction? .


I'm arguing with you because you're wrong.

Traffic engineers say that the most efficient way to merge in heavy traffic is at the merge point. The Minnesota DOT, for example, is trying to develop sign systems so that drivers will merge at the merge point:

dot.state.mn.us/trafficeng/res...

Other highway departments, including Ohio and Pennsylvania, do something similar.

Edit to add: Tom Vanderbilt's recently-published book "Traffic" discusses the various studies. The figure that stuck with me is that there is a roughly 15% improvement in throughput in heavy traffic if late merging is adopted. As Derek Lawrence points out, Colorado DOT also urges drivers to merge at the merge point and drivers are ticketed for lane straddling.

Not that I expect that you will allow facts to get in the way of your prejudices, Ben.
PRRose
From Boulder
Joined Feb 11, 2006
2 points
Feb 3, 2009
Hey PR, we're all just speaking from experience. I guess what we've witnessed isn't fact, eh? Of course, I'm putting this in the context of the bad apples who drive like pricks. Merging at or near the merge point would be fine (and sometimes is) when both lanes are travelling at about the same speed. However, when @ssholes in the lane which is being squeezed-out whiz-by everyone else and try to cut-in at the merge point at the last minute(usually they fly up to the bottleneck, stop and then try to get into the continuing lane), they disrupt the flow of traffic. I'd like to articulate this better, but I think most folks get what I'm trying to say based on their experiences.

BTW, traffic "engineers" have about as much credibility as lawyers (damn, I'm getting as vitriolic as PR - how's that for prejudice?). One only needs to drive around Denver West on Colfax to see the evidence.
Ben F
From Benfield, Kolorado
Joined Jan 1, 2001
410 points
Feb 3, 2009
Ben F wrote:
BTW, traffic "engineers" have about as much credibility as lawyers (damn, I'm getting as vitriolic as PR - how's that for prejudice?).


Yup, no one, no matter their training or expertise, is a match for your smarts, Ben F.

You're quite a piece of work.
PRRose
From Boulder
Joined Feb 11, 2006
2 points
Feb 3, 2009
warning:
I like living in Denver, too. Brendan Leonard
From Denver, Hollarado
Joined Sep 27, 2006
178 points
Feb 3, 2009
I was reminded by a fallen dead tree that most cli...
Damn, I hate these surveys. Now, even more people will be moving here. Oh well. I'm still not leaving.

Can we stop talking about the traffic and change the topic to urban sprawl or how transplants (yes, including me) affect Front Range climbing?
Dan S.
From Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 27, 2006
36 points
Feb 3, 2009
Splitter Jams on the Israel/Palestine Security Wal...
Ben F wrote:
we're all just speaking from experience. I guess what we've witnessed isn't fact, eh? Of course, I'm putting this in the context of the bad apples who drive like pricks. Merging at or near the merge point would be fine (and sometimes is) when both lanes are travelling at about the same speed. However, when @ssholes in the lane which is being squeezed-out whiz-by everyone else and try to cut-in at the merge point at the last minute(usually they fly up to the bottleneck, stop and then try to get into the continuing lane), they disrupt the flow of traffic. I'd like to articulate this better, but I think most folks get what I'm trying to say based on their experiences.


Agreed
Shawn Mitchell
From Broomfield
Joined Mar 4, 2008
313 points
Feb 3, 2009
PRRose wrote:
Yup, no one, no matter their training or expertise, is a match for your smarts, Ben F. You're quite a piece of work.


Right. It's not easy being me. :) One of my former house mates was a traffic engineer. Between him and witnessing poor light synchronization and timing, I'm just not that impressed. As a matter of fact, we could move from lawyer bashing (though it's difficult with you here) to engineer bashing.

Back to the point, you're not helping on two fronts. The first being to raise clueless driver awareness and the second being to keep people from cali and tx out of the state.
Ben F
From Benfield, Kolorado
Joined Jan 1, 2001
410 points
Administrator
Feb 4, 2009
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
but, alas, the sheep sure would! slim
Joined Dec 1, 2004
2,071 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 2 of 3.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3   Next>   Last>>
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!