Dental schools close to solid sport climbing crags

By Cole Keesler
Apr 11, 2013
Shut down pops at Miguel's
As a junior in college, I have been trying to make the decision of whether to become a dentist or a dirtbag after I get my undergrad. Now, I'm trying to find the option with the best of both worlds. If anyone out there knows of a Dental school that is very close to a great sport climbing crag, give this post a shout. Much appreciated.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Apr 11, 2013
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
I don't know how The University of Colorado dental school stacks up against other Unis, but it is in north Aurora, near i-70. The campus is about 30 - 40 minutes from Clear Creek Canyon and about an hour or so from Boulder Canyon. These are decent sport areas. Rifle is 3 - 4 hours away and is considered a world class sport area by many.

Also, U of U in SLC probably has a fairly competitive dental program. Little and Big Cottonwood have good climbing about 20 minutes away. American Fork Canyon and Maple Canyon are not too far away from there either.

A lot of good options out there, tough choice. Good luck.

By Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Apr 11, 2013
Me scaring years off my mom's life
Utah. I don't know how good their dental program is but you're not going to find a major city that's closer to quality climbing (and that has the variety of climbing).

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Apr 11, 2013

By Cole Keesler
Apr 12, 2013
Shut down pops at Miguel's
I really appreciate the feed back from everyone

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Apr 12, 2013
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
JCM wrote:
Vegas, perhaps? UNLV has a dental school, but that is about all I know about it. Despite what some in the Front Range or Salt Lake might claim about their home towns, the top city in the US for sport climbing access is Vegas. Though this has be talked over repeatedly in various grad-school related threads, perhaps if you are debating this decision at all, you should take a bit of time off? I imagine that dental school is a pretty demanding endeavor, so if you are going to commit to it, you need to be ready to go all-in. Take some time off, pursue some of the things you want to do as a climber and then go back to school when you feel ready for something else other than just climbing.

Pretty solid advice. Taking some time off to reflect and dirt bag is never a bad idea. Come up with a list of towns with Dental programs near climbing. Go dirt bag in each one for a while. The answer will likely appear out of no where one night, as you lay in your tent.

"this is where I should be"

By Skyler F.
From La Crosse, WI
Apr 14, 2013
Beautiful line at Devil's Lake
People in Kentucky and West Virginia need teeth pulled too! You got the Red and the New!

By Steven Groetken
From Durango, CO
Apr 15, 2013
On top of Hitchcock Pinnacle.
atsu.edu/asdoh/

U of A is a damn good school in Tucson. Mt Lemmon has close to 2000 sport routes and year round climbing due to +- 7000 ft elevation. Cochise right down the highway too. Although climbing is important, don't short change yourself by going to just any school though. You're moving for the school first, not necessarily the climbing. Oh, and climbing magazine named Tucson as the number one climbing town, just sayin'.

By robrobrobrob
Apr 15, 2013
I've known a few dentists with degrees from University of Pittsburgh and they all raved about the school. Not exactly a climbing mecca, but certainly some stuff for weekends and short day trips. And, at the end it's about school.

I know when I've done a lot of climbing my hands get pretty ripped up... what do the patients think about that? I just don't know too many climber/dentists.