Death at The forks....

By JMo
From Tucson, AZ
Nov 28, 2012
vertebrae roof

azdailysun.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/man-falls-to-his->>>

Thoughts and prayers go out for Joshua Riggs, his family and
loved ones. 32 years young, died at the forks on Monday...

By Brigette
From Seattle, WA
Nov 29, 2012
At the anchors.

Oh no! I'm so sorry. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

By Jeff Ludwig
From phoenix, Az
Nov 29, 2012

what is there to be said? We should consider ourselves lucky to leave this world in an instant, if the time comes. i know the sadness of losing friends while climbing and losing loved ones that did not climb. The loss is heavy and weights on those of us still here. the better moment comes when we are freed from the weight of loss and let the memory of those we loved carry us to new forms of abandonment. Live with them in your heart and you will never be sad again. look for them when you need them, they'll be there. support is invaluable to survivors. do not abandon Joshua Riggs' family or group of friends. if you knew them, they need you now.yes, my prayers go out to him and his family. Be strong, be together. heal, grow, go forward into the unknown together.

By Daryl Allan
From Sierra Vista, AZ
Nov 29, 2012
Me and my Fetish I guess.. ;)

Horrible news. So very sad to hear this.

By Geir
From Tucson, AZ
Nov 29, 2012
Toofast

Terrible news ... so sorry to hear of this. Be careful folks.

By Red
From Arizona
Nov 29, 2012
Cobra Kai

Terrible news! RIP Josh.
Nice words Jeff.

Here is another report with a picture of Josh.
abc4

By Jon C. Sullivan
From Fort Collins, CO
Nov 29, 2012
approach to the Grand

Sad news. My thoughts to his family and friends. I assume we do not not what happened yet?
Stay sharp everyone.

By Catherine Conner
From Phoenix, AZ
Nov 29, 2012
Contemplative-what is ahead?

Such bad news, RIP and condolences to family and friends.

By Woodson
From Park City, Ut.
Nov 29, 2012
Climbing to ski the Fuhrer Finger Route. Photo by Darrell Finlayson

Josh was truly an awesome guy, climbed w him last year at The Creek. So sad. My thoughts are with his girlfriend and family, we will miss you Rasta Josh. Hopefully we can get some more info on what happened.

By ben jammin
From Moab, UT
Nov 29, 2012
Aesthetics

He will most definitely be missed well outside of the Moab climbing community. He shared his rope with me just a month or so ago at Wall St. Rest in Peace, brother.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Nov 29, 2012
Colonel Mustard

Very sorry to hear this. I hope friends and family are helping his girlfriend. The trauma of seeing him die must be horrific. The mistakes in our sport are surprisingly few but so dangerous and final when they happen.

By Marcy
From Tempe/Tuscon, AZ
Nov 30, 2012
the tornado

Very sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to Josh's loved ones.

By Zach Alberts
From Gap, Hautes-Alpes, France
Nov 30, 2012
Crack Climbing! 'Conception' Day Canyon, Moab, UT

Josh was a great guy. Thanks for all the good times and for helping me out when I needed it. Sorry that you had to leave us so soon...you will be missed.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Dec 1, 2012
tanuki

I am very sorry to hear about this. My sincere condolences to family, friends and girlfriend.

Doen anyone know any details concerning what happened?

By eric schweitzer
From Bend, Oregon
Dec 1, 2012
SITTING ATOP THE CHIEF

www.abc4.com/mostpopular/story/Utah-man-dies-in-rock-climbin>>>

By OldManRiver
From Cottonwood Heights, UT
Dec 1, 2012
Red Rock, Cannibal crag

rip, may have climbed with him at wall st a month or so ago as well. Shared ropes, good sense of humor, nice guy. Regardless, best wishes to his family and gf.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Dec 3, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

...any word on the details of how this happened?

By ben jammin
From Moab, UT
Dec 4, 2012
Aesthetics

I heard from the folks at Pagan that he missed the rope setting up his belay device for rappel and fell from the top. Simple as that, so sad.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Dec 4, 2012
Colonel Mustard

MIYG wrote:

Zero is the amount of times we can allow that to happen to us. Always test the rap before coming off the anchor, it's your last chance. I'm still very saddened to hear of a death of a member in our tribe. Let's keep each other safe. Safety is always cool, and none of us is immune to making a simple error.

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Dec 4, 2012
You stay away from mah pig!

MIYG wrote:

Wow, second rappelling mistake fatality that I know of at the Forks. Tragic.

By reboot
From Westminster, CO
Dec 4, 2012

That's such a bummer. I've never roped up with the guy but many of us partook the feast he cooked up in a fire pit last thanksgiving at the creek. He'll be sorely missed.

Speaking of rappel fuck up, I nearly died in Zion over this thanksgiving if not for a carabiner randomly hooking onto the belay device carabiner. It was sobering to hang 2 ft below my belay device and realizing what had just happened. Be careful out there...

By Curt Shannon
Dec 5, 2012

camhead wrote:
Wow, second rappelling mistake fatality that I know of at the Forks. Tragic.

Ditto.

Curt

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Dec 6, 2012
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

This is so sad....

my condolences to his Family and Friends.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Dec 6, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

One of my biggest fears has always been botching the cleaning/rappelling process and a.) stranding myself or b.) dropping myself...

Sorry this happened. Keep sharp everybody.

By Abe Traven
From Boise,ID
Dec 11, 2012

Josh was a really good friend of mine. I lived with him when I moved to Moab last March. He allowed me to live in his driveway and use his house, and was never anything less than completely generous and open. We had tons of fun in the time I knew him. He was incredibly handy and skilled at a huge variety of things, from welding to mechanic work. He was incredibly talented. Some of our friends went down to Flagstaff to get his girlfriend the next day, and brought her back to Moab, where she is now.

A donation jar has been set up at Pagan, and the money is going to be used to bring his parents out to Moab for a memorial service, and to create a lasting memorial somewhere in the desert for him.Any amount is appreciated. Theres also been a suggestion of donating some money to The Friends of Indian Creek in his honor.