Dear Cirque of the Towers dromedary bag and steri-pen thieves

By CalmAdrenaline
From SL,UT
Sep 3, 2013
Oregon Coast Bouldering
I hope you broke your ankle on your hike out.

But seriously, my climbing partner and I stashed it under some boulders by jackass pass lake while we climbed Black Elk and had no problems, the next day was Feather Buttress 9-1-13 and did the same thing. Afterward we hiked back to the lake and it was gonzo, it wasnt in a ridiculously obvious spot, it was stashed about 50 feet away from the edge of the lake opposite the side with the trail under a boulder. Bum deal, thieves suck, especially when its essential items for your survival or well being, at least it wasnt our gear eh?

If you know someone who just got a bitchin new 10 liter MSR dromedary bag with a blue Nalgene cap and a Blue and Orange LCD "Adventure" model steri-pen on a biner with batteries taped to the spine, tell them they really harshed our mellow (get bent) and we would like them back.

On a PSA note, not that I suggest it as regular practice -but- we drank the lake water straight and didnt get sick. (yet?)

By mountainhick
From Black Hawk, CO
Sep 3, 2013
Sorry to hear you lost your gear.

Regarding the water, you'll probably be fine, but many years ago Lonesome lake was first to be tested and found unsafe to drink in the WInds. No idea if it still offers GI trouble.

Giardia takes a week or three to become symptomatic. Good luck!

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Sep 3, 2013
Stairway To Heaven - all the way to the Pearly Gat...
Oddly, there was a similar post not too long ago and the culprits turned out to be marmots.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Sep 4, 2013
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
It's true. You can't always blame those humans.

By s.price
From PS,CO
Sep 4, 2013
 Morning Dew ,self portrait
Never trust a rodent.
Midnight rodent attack. Blaine Basin, CO
Midnight rodent attack.
Blaine Basin, CO
Oh yeah, got a shoe as well.
Oh yeah, got a shoe as well.

By Eli Helmuth
From Estes Park, CO
Sep 4, 2013
Eli on the FA of Grizzly (M9) at the Den.
Not cool leaving your stuff laying around for animals to easily take and become garbage in the wilderness. Blaming others for your lameness is even more lame.

By Buff Johnson
Sep 4, 2013
smiley face
all marmots must die, dot com!

By doligo
Sep 4, 2013
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style
You realize that your steripen would've not been very effective for your 10L dromedary, right?

By Rob Dillon
Sep 4, 2013
Marmots stole a big black first-aid pack I stuck under a rock this summer. Took us a long time to find it.

By Tommy Layback
From Sheridan, WY
Sep 4, 2013
Tom on Cloud Peak, Bighorn Mtns, WY.  Blacktooth a...
Eli Helmuth wrote:
Blaming others for your lameness is even more lame.

Lol

By CalmAdrenaline
From SL,UT
Sep 4, 2013
Oregon Coast Bouldering
doligo wrote:

Really? ..I was planning on sitting through 10 cycles with the steri pen. .

Of course I realized that.

As for Eli from Rado.. didnt think the marmots would bother with a non food (or sweat salted) item.

By nicelegs
From Denver
Sep 4, 2013
They will eat anything. Slings on anchors, the handles of trekking poles, a guidebook, anything.

If it looks like it could in any way be human, they will eat it just because. If you don't know that marmots are just assholes, then you are a n00b.

By doligo
Sep 4, 2013
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style
If you honestly believe it was stolen, next time bring a gatorade bottle and iodine tablets - thieves won't bother and cheap to replace. Plus compact lightweight enough to carry on your climb - safe from thieves human and rodent

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Sep 4, 2013
Stairway To Heaven - all the way to the Pearly Gat...
CA - This thread might make ya feel better:

mountainproject.com/v/trekking...

BTW My first encounter with marmots was on the N. Face of the Grand. We stashed our food good but left bivy sacs out. The marmot was pissed off that he could not get the good stuff, showed his displeasure so promptly pissed and shit in my sleeping bag. I was so tired when we got back I did not care - I shook the shit out, crawled in, and went to sleep. Marmot 1 Climber 0.