Culp Valley post Wilson fire?

By Chas.W
Nov 20, 2012

Anyone have any info on how the recent fire near Culp Valley affected the area? Thanks for any info.

By gearwhore
From Orange, CA
Dec 3, 2012

I do not, but I doubt it affected any of the boulders...they don't burn ; )

By A.Javi.Gecko
From San Diego, CA
Dec 3, 2012
V3, Castle Hill, NZ

but depending on rock quality they could potentially crack, right?

By Tapawingo
Dec 3, 2012

No info on Culp, but fire definitely can affect rock. It can cause expansion of gases and vapors trapped within the rock which can cause weakening of the rock, or increase exfoliation of the rock, etc...
You might want to get in touch with acsd, they might have some information for ya.

By gearwhore
From Orange, CA
Dec 3, 2012

^ with the sparse scrub vegetation that grows out there?

By ccross
From San Diego, CA
Dec 16, 2012

Stopped in for a quick session late yesterday. There were no access issues - signs posted about closures etc. The vegetation has seen better days. Trees and shrubs were charred by and large. Some brush is coming back. The Culp classic Vector Crack is still a solid and fun climb.

Some cholla have burned to the ground, including ones that butted up against boulders. This may be a good time to develop a potential route you saw, but couldn't due to vegetation. Areas like El Cajon Mountain were made more accessible post fire. Lets be mindful of unnecessary trail creation and soil erosion though.

There is a wood post gate on the road that goes left from Vector Crack. Is this post fire, or just new since I've been last? It was unburned. I tried to set up a tent back there a few years ago and was growled at by a mountain lion. We mentioned it to a park ranger and he just chuckled and asked if it was the one with the bad ear.

Culp Valley, post Wilson fire, Dec 15, 2012
Culp Valley, post Wilson fire, Dec 15, 2012

Vector Crack, Culp Valley post Wilson fire, Dec 15, 2012
Vector Crack, Culp Valley post Wilson fire, Dec 15, 2012

By Tapawingo
Dec 16, 2012

gearwhore wrote:
^ with the sparse scrub vegetation that grows out there? Well, if Culp has new splitters and recently exfoliated face problems, then I guess we should all get out there ASAP for some FAs? Seriously folks...I'd be more concerned about (gov mandated) access issues due to soil erosion or whatever else before thinking the rocks got f'd up from a fire at a place like Culp.

No need for the sarcasm, he asked a question and I simply replied by saying it is possible for rock to be damaged from fire and explained the reasons why. There's plenty of incidents out there where this has occurred and resulted in unsafe rock conditions. You're also right about the increased erosion due to lack of vegetation.

By splitclimber
Jan 11, 2013

any updates? how's the place looking? washed out, revegetating?

also, what are the best camping options around here, either CG's or dispersed camping?

thx.