Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Crested Butte Climbing Options.

By Jason Young
Mr. Ziggerman Jones

Hello,

I will be in Crested Butte from February 18th through the 22nd. Since the snow situation there does not look too promising, I was wondering what options are available in the area for climbing. I'm interested in sport, trad and bouldering (in that order of preference). I've never ice climbed before, so I have no ice climbing gear, but would definitely be interested in trying it. I understand that it may be a bit too cold for rock climbing, so I was also wondering if there are any climbing gym options in the area?

If anyone is interested in climbing on any of those days, and/or has any information on climbing in the area, then I would appreciate hearing from you!

Thanks,

Jason Young

By Morgan Patterson
Stoked...

You maybe should try using the 'Destinations' section of this website...

By Jason Young
Mr. Ziggerman Jones

I've looked at the options for climbing in the area on MP, but nothing beats local experience for knowing where and what's good to climb this time of year. There is also no mention of any gyms in CB on MP (other than one in Gunnison), although a quick search on Google revealed some possibilites, there were really no descriptions of the type of "terrain" available at these places. Again, local knowledge prevails.

I'm really looking for climbers who may be interested in climbing on the dates I've mentioned in the CB area.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan

Crusty Butt...currently.
Crusty Butt...currently.

By Jason Young
Mr. Ziggerman Jones

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Me, of course

Shelf road is a couple hours or so from CB, if it's not too cold you can go there. That will be really your only option for rock unless it's freakishly warm and you want to drive to the south platte.

Unless hartman rocks is warm, which I would doubt, but the sun can do amazing things.

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Me, of course

Jason Young wrote:

What if you're a guano farmer and you pray for shit?

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan

Jason Young wrote:
I will have my snowboard and will be praying for some big dumps. It's really not my idea to go to CB for this trip, and I don't want to shell out big bucks to ski on ice, so I am trying to hedge my bets and be prepared to do something other that ski while I'm there. I typically don't climb during the winter, and haven't climbed nearly as much as I would have liked for the past 10 years, but this last year has been different, and I'm hoping to keep it up! I've been to CB once before. I loved the hill and the town, but the snow really wasn't great then either. Like I mentioned, I'll be praying for snow, but pray in one hand, and shit in the other, and......you know the rest.

Too bad you are going to wolf creek..I'd almost say it would be worth it to make the 3 hour drive. They've been getting feet at a clip with a 95" base. (+1 Evan, just saw your post!)

Also I've never had a bad day in CB though...if the snow sucks, just split and go to the Eldo or the Secret Stash. haha you know the rest!!

Have fun regardless!

By Morgan Patterson
Stoked...

Scott McMahon wrote:
Just because the snow sucks doesn't mean that it's still not winter. CB is up high in the mountains and COLD. It's 5-10 below zero as a low every night, so yes...it's going to be a bit too cold for rock climbing. Bring your skis man! It's CRESTED BUTTE!! Why would you want to rock climb there in the midddle of winter anyways? It's one of the best spots to ride.

Man I love CB - fond memories of that main street. Thanks for posting up Scott.

By Morgan Patterson
Stoked...

Evan S wrote:
What if you're a guano farmer and you pray for shit? Oh, and wolf creek just got a 40" storm and has a 95" summit base. You should go there.

WOLF CREEK!!!!! Don't fuckup and NOT go... WC is the tits... esp. with 40" dump! They'll be skiing freshies for DAYS.....

By Jason Young
Mr. Ziggerman Jones

Wolf Creek is not an option for those dates. CB is already booked. Anyway, the only thing WC has going for it is the snow (which ALWAYS seems to be way more than anything else around). It's a damn shame places like Taos, CB, Telluride, etc. don't get that kind of snow.

Shelf could be great, but is probably a bit too far. I don't want to completely ditch the wife :)

Eldo and the Stash are already high on the list of alternate venues. However, I can drink a lot of beer, and would probably get myself into trouble if I don't find some other diversions to keep me occupied.

The sun can do amazing things. We often climb in t-shirts in the middle of winter here in NM. However, CB is not in NM.

Seriously, who wants to go ice climbing (I never thought I would say that). It's high time I tried it out!

By John Peterson
In the Black

You've got a pretty good chance at rock climbing in Escalante. Much more mellow of a drive than Shelf. There's also a bunch of sport / bouldering in the low part of Unaweep. This is all about 2 1/2 hours away.

As for ice, Lake City isn't that far and it's easy to set topropes there if you find a place to rent the rest of the ice gear.

Hartman's is probably not an option unless it gets REALLY warm next week.

By Jayson

Jason,

Rockclimbing in CB in the middle of winter really is not an option. Ice in Lake City or desert sandstone in Escalante Canyon are the closest options.

Otherwise bring your skis or consider a backcountry tour....the snow is pretty damn good!

If you don't believe me, check out my business website ;-)

www.crestedbutteguides.com

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Me, of course

Jason Young wrote:

Except 60 degree tree skiing, no lift lines and bottomless powder.

By Tim Zander
Feb 11, 2013

You seem pretty hard to please. I recommend not going at all, everything going to suck, no matter what the conditions.

By Jason Young
Mr. Ziggerman Jones

Wolf Creek has some 60 degree tree skiing for 1/3 of an already short run, then totally flat (if not uphill) traversing for seemingly endless stretches to get back to the empty lift line (this is true). Definitely epic powder though! WC has it's benefits, but...................

Indeed, I am very hard to please. So is my wife. Like I said, it's really not my decision to go there right now. I like to chase the snow and not plan a vacation months ahead of time and then pray for the weather to cooperate. It's a good thing I don't have to do this every year (I know, first world problem huh?). That said, CB is a GREAT town and it would be nice to meet some locals and maybe go climb something. That would go a long way to keeping me sane :) I will definitely hit the slopes at least a couple days, and who knows, maybe it will turn epic! I just want to maximize my fun.