Crash Pad as sleeping pad?

By zimick
Aug 20, 2012

I am working on making my truck more of a mobile base and am thinking of buying a Metolius Magnum crash pad (6x4) to do double duty as a "mattress" in the bed of my truck. Anybody have any experiance with this? Opinions? Too hard?
If it seems like an ok idea where is the cheapest place to purchase?

By MacM
From Cave Creek/Preskitt, AZ
Aug 20, 2012
3rd Day in JTree

I once slept on my crash pad for 5 days, Metolius Stomp Pad. It wasn't until the last night I remembered that the open-cell foam was on the bottom and the closed-cell foam was on the top. I recommend flipping the pad over to the open-cell side for a better night's sleep, unless you like to sleep on a concrete mattress.
I feel it would be a great plan, especially with a bigger pad. Go for it. However, I haven't been in the market fo a pad in a while, so I have no clue where to get one cheap anymore except used here on MP maybe.

-Mac

By Abel Jones
From Colorado Springs, CO
Aug 20, 2012
Nice Crisp day for an FA

The metolious trifold is awesome for sleeping. Did a 10 month stint on one in the back of the pickup. You can really design the build up around the folds in the pad and Mae a sweet set up! Search for Nissan frontier in for sale area, recently sold it but the pics could help you out!

By JJNS
Aug 20, 2012

I have a Tacoma and use a Black Diamond Mondo with a Thermarest Dreamtime on top of it. Its a good setup. I slept on it for about five months last year and never had a problem with cold or discomfort.

By England
From ?
Aug 20, 2012
Alpine toothpick.

I've been sleeping on my crash pad for 4 years, and in the back of my truck. Why do you need to ask???? It already looks like a bed....seems natural to me.

By Crypply
Aug 20, 2012

i sleep on my pad every time i go on a overnight trip and i have never been uncomfortable. FYI, my pad is the flashed shogun

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Aug 20, 2012
Dreamweaver

Works like a charm.

Just remember, wear a beanie but no shirt, it's the most comfortable way.

By Andy Novak
From Golden, Co
Aug 20, 2012
Living the High Life.

You can also get a nice cushy open-cell mattress/crashpad cover at Walmart and cut to fit your desired size.. They start at around $20 and go up to $80. Sleep on the pad and throw a cover on. Like a $500 pillow top and well worth it.

By M Sprague
From New England
Aug 20, 2012

Andy Novak wrote:

If you want to go deluxe, you can get a Tempupedic (or equivalent) overlay pad to go on top. A sheepskin mattress pad would do the trick too, and for cheaper.

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Aug 21, 2012
This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I think it works quite well, depending on rope thickness and sheath quality, it belays very smooth.  Great to lower with.  You gotta love over engineering.  $3 at a gear swap!

England wrote:
It already looks like a bed....seems natural to me.

Have you spent time in a 3rd world prison or were you raised in a barn?

By Rob Gordon
From Hollywood, CA
Aug 21, 2012
Tough Mantle Problem.  Haven't sent yet...

I think sleeping on my crash pad wore it out quicker. On the plus side, it got more comfortable for sleeping.