Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Crampon holes in softshell pants

By Paul-B
Flakes of Wrath

Despite my best efforts, I've put a few crampon gashes in my new Scholler softshell pants. I'm rigging a bungy cord/gaiter situation I saw suggested on here a while back to help hold your pants down and prevent cuts. Any suggestions on best way to fix the holes? Any body tried prophylacticly adding some sort of material to beef up that area? Unfortunately, they did not come with a beefy cordura-reinforced area, my only problem with the pants.

By ERolls
From Custer, SD
Devils Tower Summit

Hey Paul,

This is why I lean towards Patagucci for expensive hi-tech clothing. Excellent cust service and free repairs. The moderately higher price is worth it for me. Did the same thing to my super guides while post holeing and they fixed them with a wide zig zag stitch. Since then I've used tape around the knees to prevent further damage.

Recently, my wife stuck them in the wash with the suspenders still attached and they got buggered beyond any repair. Called patagonia and they sent two new sets free. If you have or know someone with a sewing machine, that's probably your best bet.

By will archer
From Boston, MA
Feb 2, 2014

Look around your area for a parachute rigger-they will be able to professionally patch any holes you've created or add reinforced areas to your pants. They will likely not have softshell material on hand so you would be stuck with non-breathable cordura. While they are at it they can add some grommets for the bungee cord thing (if I'm thinking about the same thing you are).

You could always sew some scrap material on over the holes, but it probably won't look as nice and might not last as long.

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior

Here is a really simple way to repair your pants. Get a small tube of seam grip and some masking tape.
Put a piece(s) of tape over the hole(s) make sure to cover the hole really well and make sure the tape extends a bit out from the hole
Turn the pants inside out after you have put the tape on. Get the pants to lay flat where the hole is. you can make sure the fabric is as non frayed as possible trim any loose threads that are sticking up. The rip should be pretty well closed with the tape. Make sure the pant is laying flat then apply a small amount of seam grip to the rip. (inside of the pant) make sure the seam grip covers the rip and extends out a small amount from the rip. Let the seam grip dry. once dry (24 hours) turn the pants right side out and peel off the masking tape. Done. If you have done a good job you can fix rips to the point of not even being able to see the tear. I have used this method to fix all kinds of large and small tears in clothing especially crampon rips in the lower legs of pants. The fix should cost you maybe $6.00
Dallen

By iceman777
From Colorado Springs
Feb 2, 2014

Wear them proudly as a badge of honor ! Welcome to the club .

If it bothers you that much then perhaps you should take up curling instead . And save the soft shell pants for around town beer nights ?

Every pair of soft shell pants I own has at least a couple crampon holes in them . We're talking everything from mammut- arcteryx and it bothers me none in the least bit .

Now if you want to repair them to look like new here's a trick I tell people to use , ( I used this on a paint of my first arcteryx gamma mx pants , until I got the idk about the holes attitude)

Go get the iron on patches , makes no difference what color as the patch goes on the inside anyway.cut the size you want and heat up your iron , place the patch glue side down over the hole from the inside , flip pants leg right side out and smooth the cut / hole. When everything looks good use the iron to heat the patch . Presto ! Problem solved . And btw it did not damage my soft shell at all , just don't have your iron set on the jeans setting which means you will be applying heat / pressing down harder for a longer period then they recommend. This worked like magic for me .

I still have those pants and after several washings , trips and new holes . The original patch job is still going strong .

By saltlick
From the bedroom
Tree-bouldering near Mt. Tam

I too rig all of my SS pants with a bungie stirrup. It helps somewhat with the crampon-snag issue, but I still manage to gouge a few holes per season in the right leg. Best fix I've found for reasonably clean tears under 2 inches is SeamGrip reinforced with a ripstop nylon patch on the inside. No sewing involved, and can look pretty damn good if you can avoid spreading Seamgrip all over the outside of the pant.

By Steve Williams
From Denver, CO
Feb 2, 2014

Consider wearing gaiters over your
boots, which will help shield the pants from
crampons somewhat.

By T Howes
From Bozeman, MT
Feb 2, 2014

I use tenacious tape to repair my ripped clothes.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco

+1 for seamgrip repairs.

Put some holes in my softshells pants, fixed them up with seamgrip and just as strong.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Cleo's Needle

I take mine to a local seamstress. Costs $5 and takes about 10 minutes. I usually get one or two holes per season.

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah

www.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-GORE-TEX-Fabric-Repair/dp/B001UNEX4A

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

for small tears, I just match the fabric closed together, and smear a thin layer of clear shoe goo over the tear. If a big right angle rip, I find a suitable nylon tent patching material and again, shoe goo it down over the tear or hole. Shoe goo rules, or any similar tube of marine silicon based clear patch up stuff at local hardware store.

By Josh Brown
Feb 2, 2014

Along the lines of the above. I ripped a hole in my softshells this weekend. I just took an old heavyweight stuff sack, cut a rectangle from it and used seam grip to glue it down and then put a nice thick stream all around the edge. It certainly looks like a homemade patch but it works and will fend off the next point when it bangs into it when I'm tired after a long day.

By Mark NH
Feb 2, 2014

+ 1 for iron on patches from the inside of the pants. Just did one the other day and it works great. With that I always cover the patch with a washcloth and iron over that so I'm not ironing on the actual pant.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Did a sew on patch with seam sealer on edges for my gaiters about 30 some years ago,,still holding up just fine, even with more crampon damage to the patch itself.

By AK123
From Chapel Hill, NC
PMRP in October, RRG

Gear Aid Tenacious Tape

By KathyS
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Feb 3, 2014
Me at the summit of Inner Course (5.4) in the Outlets.  Long, lovely, mellow route.  Well protected even.  My favorite lead from the trip.

Stitch and seal with Seam Grip or Aquaseal.

Pack and drytop repairs