Couloirs most likely to have ice next week in colorado?

By dinn13
Jun 24, 2014

I'll be in colorado next week and ideally like to find some alpine ice. Planning on hitting up the Flying Dutchman which I understand might have a small ice section right now and then going over and doing the Notch couloir. Outside of that wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

By coppolillo
Jun 24, 2014

hey man, was on Evans four days ago and there was def ice hiding down in shady, n-facing couloirs. i'm headed into the park tomorrow, so will let you know what i see. if you don't hear from me, email me...i'm a crackhead and will forget!

RC

By Eric Klammer
From Boulder, CO
Jun 24, 2014
Heading up the best pitches of the route. Perfect rock at a nice relaxed angle!

Check out Dreamweaver on Mt Meeker perhaps. Or North Couloir on Pacific Peak.

By coppolillo
Jun 25, 2014

hey dinn13,

was up in the Park today, Dreamweaver has several section of alpine ice, even a stretch of water ice, punchy snow, though; i'd make sure it freezes hard over night. Dark Star had fresh tracks going into it, though disconnected snow/AI in there--didn't look super. Notch Couloir still pretty full; it could be skied with the amount of snow in there. Again, though, it's not freezing super hard at night, so beware of east- and south-facing stuff....was on evans a couple days back and there was a good WI4 pitch in one of the couloirs just north of summit lake. plenty more hiding in all those features, i presume. good luck, have fun!

By dinn13
Jun 26, 2014

thanks a lot for the info! i'll try and get on dreamweaver then as well and hopefully there will be some real cold nights before i get over there. think the notch is full to the point that it would be annoying to go up? i guess even moderate post holing up there isn't necessarily my idea of fun

By coppolillo
Jun 26, 2014

wasn't close enough to really see, but if it doesn't freeze, i'd be worried about post-hole hell, not to mention getting a rock to the noggin! coverage is good, though, from a distance....so check temps and get after it, doood! RC

By dinn13
Jun 26, 2014

sweet thanks! so now i'm thinking of trying to be up the flying dutchman before sunrise so that i can try and get to the notch right around sunrise and maybe minimize the mountain shitting rocks on me