Considering new air mat

By wisam
Oct 12, 2012

So I'm still doing the 3/4 leghth prolite on top of a z rest thing. Although I don't have any issues with this system unless the ground is really uneven I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything?

What's you're thoughts on the Neo Air X therm

or

The Exped Downmat 7 UL

The specs all seem to point to the neoair as it is almost half the weight but with nearly the same r value.

Beyond the published specs which would you prefer and why?

Also, what are the benefits of horizontal vs vertical baffles. Tried both mats at REI and both are comfortable to me.

I would imagine that the thicker mats wouldnt be too big for a bivy?

By NickinCO
From colorado
Oct 12, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

back packing or car camping?

I have a thermarest dreamtime XL and it's amazing. Almost as nice as my bed at home. It's huge though, and it's just a hair to big for my black diamond bivy bag

cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/>>>

By wisam
Oct 12, 2012

Backpacking

By Steve M
From MN
Oct 12, 2012

I've got the uninsulated version of the Exped pad and it's amazingly comfortable. It's night and day compared to a thermarest over a z-rest. The only complaint I have is that when one of my kids or my wife steps on it I feel like I'm getting launched into orbit. I've never had a mat with horizontal baffles, but I can't imagine there's any difference. If they both feel good to you choose the one that you find easier to inflate/deflate and don't look back.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Oct 12, 2012
Cleo's Needle

wisam wrote:
Backpacking

Are you looking for something minimalist in case things go worng or comfort? I have a 3/4 neoair that weighs nothing but its the suck long term. I have a BA mat that is great but takes forever to blow up and weighs a lot. I also have a Mammut pad that is somewhere in between. For general purpose I'd probably go with full length neoair.

By Brad W
From San Diego
Oct 13, 2012

The new neoairs are pretty narrow and tapered. I'd make sure that you're comfortable with the width. If so, you can't beat the warmth to weight. Otherwise the original neoair doesn't taper so feels bigger, though it's not as warm for the weight.

By Paul-B
Oct 19, 2012
Flakes of Wrath

I really like my neo pro air, I went 3/4's length to be a weight weenie, the only thing I regret. The are super light, super comfortable, get a full length. They are very tapered, I have never found this to be a problem for me as I use it either in a bivy that holds me on it, or in a cramped 2 person backpacking tent where it fit just perfectly

By Hmann2
Oct 19, 2012
the fridge leavenworth

I have a neo-air and the only thing i dont like about it is that is make a crunchy sound when you move on it. But if you really want the most comfortable the exped is the way to go!!!

By Brian Abram
From Columbia, SC
Oct 19, 2012
Brian Abram, leading pitch 2 of Dinkus Dog on the South Side of Looking Glass.  Kyle Sox is belaying.

I had a Downmat 7 and now have an Xtherm. The Downmat was more comfortable to me than anything else. It started leaking, though, and I could never find where. I put it in a bathtub and tried my best but could never find the stupid leak, so I eventually got rid of it.

I next had the original Neoair. Bivied on it a few times. Up on Broadway on Longs it got a hole in it. Stupid me. Another time, my wife got a hole in hers through a groundsheet from a small rock. Be sure to buy a repair kit with those instant repair sticky squares and throw one or two in your first aid kit.

The Xtherm feels like it has a thicker bottom layer than the original or the current Xlite, which I hope makes it tougher. No issues with it so far.

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Oct 19, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey

Try not bringing one. It's actually really nice and you have less shit to carry

On snow z light

By superkick
From West Hartford, CT
Oct 19, 2012
Free Solo up hitchcock gully WI3

the new neo airs dont make crunchy sounds.

jesus the dream time weighs more than my tent.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Oct 19, 2012
Cleo's Needle

superkick wrote:
the new neo airs dont make crunchy sounds. jesus the dream time weighs more than my tent.

The current neoair has a higher R-value and different fabric from the original.

By CJC
Oct 19, 2012

Medic741 wrote:
Try not bringing one. It's actually really nice and you have less shit to carry

yeah ok Jeremiah

By "H"
From Manitou Springs
Oct 19, 2012
Axes glistening in the sun

have the Big Agnes insulated air core. I've slept comfortably on snow down to the low teens and on rocks. The material is fairly tough and I'm pretty tough on my gear. The only downside is that it doesn't have an internal pump. So after humping x miles you have to inflate by mouth. Takes me about 4 minutes at around 10k-11k ft. That's after resting a bit!