Consequences of climbing on a sprained ankle???

By Xzavier Thompson
From smyrna,TN
Oct 2, 2012
Thanks guys/gals
X.T.

By NickinCO
From colorado
Oct 3, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
very stupid. a couple months in the grand scheme of things is nothing. You can't realize that yourself?

By redlude97
Oct 3, 2012
Xzavier Thompson wrote:
I sprained my ankle pretty badly about 5 weeks ago. Two partially torn ligaments and a completely torn ligament. So my question to all you climbaholics out there is...would it be absolutely idiotic if I climbed on this type of injury 4 weeks before the date Im supposed to take my boot off?? And what kind of problems go along with climbing with a sprained ankle? Thanks guys/gals X.T.

just toprope with the boot on

By Robert Buswold
From Longmont, CO
Oct 3, 2012
Clear Creek Canyon, Capitalist Crag
I can never understand why people ask these retarded questions on here. I'd venture a guess that most people on MP are not doctors anyway, so why ask total strangers on the internet medical questions? Plus, you know it's stupid, so don't try to burden those random internet strangers with your dumb decisions. If you're going to climb on it, just do it and realize that you'll have to accept the consequences if you screw up your ankle more. Quit trying to rationalize it.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Oct 3, 2012
To get responses like this:

"I've had the same problem. I just followed/tr'd overhangs with the boot on. I kept my hands quite strong, my focus sharp, and didn't risk a lead fall into the wall that would screw me up."

By eldoradolocal
Oct 3, 2012
Keep spraining it, and this tidy little procedure may be in your future.
total ankle replacement
total ankle replacement

By Nate_801
From St. George
Oct 3, 2012
Moab
You should definitely climb on it.....

By David Ford
From Cambridge, MA
Oct 3, 2012
I think that it would be simply idiotic to climb on it. My two cents are that my ankles are pretty important to the activities that keep me happy, and a month is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

+1 for TR/gym climbing with the boot on. I did that for a while when I was coming off a broken ankle. TRing isn't the same thing, obviously, but you'll know you're getting back in shape in terms of endurance at least.