Conditions at Gilman Tunnels

By Bob Graham
Mar 23, 2012
I have never climbed at Gilman and was wondering if anyone can comment about the conditions this early in the year? Sounds like most of the climbing is across the water, is the water level early a consideration?

Thanks
Bob

By ian watson
From Albuquerque, NM
Mar 23, 2012
I have climbed out there this time of year before and it was great with a light fleece. That being said I have not been there recently so take it with a grain of salt but I bet you would be fine. When do you plan on going?

By Jason Young
From Los Alamos, NM
Mar 23, 2012
Mr. Ziggerman Jones
Bob,

Gilman should be perfect this weekend (high 60s). I've climbed there during this time of year twice before and it was almost too warm in the sun, albeit a little chilly in the shade. I've climbed at the Broken Arrows and the Dr. Seuss Wall. Everything I got on was pretty good. Watch out for some loose stuff though. The water levels have never been a problem in my opinion. Both times I've been there I waded across the knee deep stream in my Chacos. They dried out quickly. The water level may be a little high for the belays at the Dr. Seuss wall, but shouldn't affect the Broken Arrows. All this being said, I have not been out there this year, and I cannot comment on the other areas across the stream like the Spectator Wall. Gilman is fun, and worthy of a day or two of cragging (beware of the gawkers).

Cheers!

Jason Y.

By Step hen
From Fort Collins, CO
Mar 23, 2012
Boulder Canyon  photo by Curt
Bring a helmet, there's lots of rockfall at Gilman.

By mattb19
Mar 29, 2012
DNF
I went to Gilman today and decided to move on to the Crystal Cave. The river was really high and I could not believe how close to the walls the water was. You would need to be ready to cross some very fast deep water. I'd say the water level needs to go down to make it worth a trip.

By bruno-cx
Apr 3, 2012
shirtless wonder
In case anyone is curious here is the USGS gauge for the Rio Guadalupe / Jemez River.

aterdata.usgs.gov/nm/nwis/uv/?...

Normal Levels should be around 50cfs for this gauge. If it reads higher, the stream is flooding. Happens for about 2 weeks on a good year.

Stream is coming back down now, might have a little spike again from all of this snow.