Colorado trip in May

By Ryan C.
From Woodbury, MN
Mar 4, 2012
Myself and two friends are looking at taking a trip to Colorado towards the end May for a week. We are wanting to do mainly sport climbing while there, however, I will bring my rack with me. One is climbing around 5.11a while the other is climbing 5.11d. I am wanting to try and find a fun overhung 13a/b (I wanted to go try and go to Rifle, but do not want to have the others not be able to enjoy themselves).

I am looking for suggestions on areas to go to/stay away from. Also ideas on camping. I thought I remembered last year of Rifle being closed due to snow melt till June, do I have to worry about that closer to Boulder?

Sorry to be vague, just trying to make sure my friends from out of country do not miss out on something great on their trip. Also neither of them have any trad experience, that is why I am wanting to stay with sport climbing mostly.

By NEH
Mar 4, 2012
There are plenty of excellent routes in the 5.10/5.11 range to keep your buddies happy for a week at Rifle. You do not need to be a 5.12 climber to have a blast there. I climbed 5.11s at Rifle for several years and never got bored.
You could also check out Shelf Road which also has hundreds of routes at a variety of grades. If you guys want techy vertical routes go check out Penitente.

By Jeff Chrisler
From Boulder, CO
Mar 5, 2012

By Michael Schneiter
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Mar 5, 2012
Goofin' on the Grand after soloing the Upper Exum with my wife.
Rifle has about 70 5.11s so if you're climbing that grade you'll find plenty to do. Last year Rifle got closed for a brief period due to some uncharacteristic flooding from the spring runoff but I wouldn't expect that to be a worry, especially this year, with the dry winter we've had.

By Brent Apgar
From Out of the Loop
Mar 5, 2012
Me and Spearhead
If you're after a destination sport area in the states out this way... go to Rifle.
Just a heads up, it's entirely possible that Eagle Rock will still be closed for Raptor nesting in May.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Mar 5, 2012
Stabby
Jeff Chrisler wrote:
I'd say close to here (Boulder), you will most likely be fine when it comes to snow melt and wetness by then. If you're interested in enjoying a good night life, you should try climbing in Boulder Canyon for a day and then hitting Boulder in the evening. Boulder Canyon has a few spots that would fit your needs. Even though it gets a lot of sh--, Boulder Canyon is a good time. Easter Rock and Eagle Rock has a few nice lines that will fit all of you and your friends' goals. The other spot close to civilization would be Clear Creek, which has some solid spots where you could easily pull down on 11-13s. If you want to be sure however, the suggestion to go to Shelf Road would be a definite place for clear, warm weather and no snow melt at that time.

Drive all the way out from MN and climb in Boulder Canyon? Sheesh.

To the OP: if you don't want to try Rifle (though you should), look into Devils Head. The road should be open by mid-May; unless we get a huge late dump.

By jordan cocanower
From The High Country
Mar 5, 2012
A nice little alpine day
shelf road or rifle. but ehhhh wait like a month and a half and hit RMNP for some cool bouldering or multi i mean your in colorado dog

By Ryan C.
From Woodbury, MN
Mar 6, 2012
Thank you all for your responses. I think we may have to end up going to Rifle for a four days and then go to Shelf Road or Boulder for a bit.