CO Springs mountaineering shop?

By csproul
From Davis, CA
Jul 16, 2013
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the background
I am in need of some new double boots and where I live there is no place to try them on or buy, and this is something I'd rather not mail order if possible. I will be visiting family in CO Springs in August. Can anyone recommend a shop that would have a decent inventory (I'd like to try on Spantik, Barunste, Phantom 6000) and preferably a good boot fitter? CO Springs would be nice, but I will drive if needed...Denver, Boulder etc.

By ZackB
From Littleton, CO
Jul 16, 2013
Mountain Chalet (Colorado Springs)
mtnchalet.com

Bent Gate (Golden)
bentgate.com

Haven't actually shopped at Mountain Chalet, but I have heard good things from those that have. I have shopped at Bent Gate, and I would recommend them to anyone.

Wilderness Exchange in Denver, probably won't have the selection you are looking for, and Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder will have what you need, but it's a bit more of a drive from the Springs.

Hope that helps.

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Jul 16, 2013
Dreamweaver
Yeah, drive to Bent Gate. I mean no offense to Mountain Chalet (i've never been there), but Bent Gate is primo and they will go out of their way to make boots fit.

Walk down the street and get a sandwich from Snarfs while you're there.

By Kevinmurray
Jul 16, 2013
Mountain Chalet is a great mountain store. I've been going there since they opened in 1968.

By jmeizis
From Colorado Springs, CO
Jul 16, 2013
The Beginning of Mr. Clean (5.8) at the Barkeater Cliffs in Adirondack Park NY.
Go to Mountain Chalet and you'll do fine. Go on a day when Pete L. is working. We climb and ski together fairly often. He fitted me for new liners in my ski boots so I didn't have to get completely new boots.

Don't see you gaining much except maybe a little more selection and a lot more driving to go to Bent Gate. If you're going to go that far you might as well go another half an hour to Neptune which I think has a better selection.

By Ryan Chelstowski
From Colorado Springs, CO
Jul 18, 2013
inner chi
Gearonimo Sports in Colorado Springs has used double boots.